Across the USA - A Relay Fly-in

mdunlevie

Around The Moon
Want to deliver a cup of Atlantic sea water to the Pacific? Don't have time to make a full across the USA trip? How about a relay? We can form teams based on posted trip legs and who can pick up the next leg.

Say (just for example, not throwing anyone under the bus here :lol:) you can do Ocean City, NJ west to Dayton, OH. You meet up with another member there, you all see the Wright Brothers and have a little fly-in. Maybe even others join up with you there for the event.

Then your next team member takes that cup of salt water (or whatever "baton" you select for delivery to the opposite coast) and he/she goes on to the next port and repeats the hand off there. And so on until your "baton" gets all the way across the country.

You can be part of an across the USA trip without taking time off work, spending lots of 100 LL and you get to meet up with others, some you may know and some you may meet for the first time. Post pictures of each baton hand off and in flight stuff. Post your hand off point and day as a fly in for BAC President's Trophy Points.

But we're heading into winter you say? Well post a leg you would want to take in the spring, let another member see it and say I can take it from there to "x" and things can pick up from there. You choose the leg distance you are comfortable with or what adventure you have been wanting to take.

It doesn't have to be direct east to west or west to east, this can zig zag, double back on itself, anything to capture as many as want to participate. Can be done by different teams too, what ever you want to take part in post a desired leg and see if anyone picks up on your start/end points or suggests something close.

Something like this, I'll pick up in Wichita, KS and deliver to Farmington, NM or the reverse. Flexible on locations and dates/times TBD by availability.

Interest for this (or just one of my wild ideas)?

Can we also add a bag of candy in there somewhere ??? Only the last piece makes it!

:D I'm in - - - meeting BAC members AND adding some states to my map. A 2-fer!

Mike,

It is another of your wild ideas!

However it is finally a great idea.
We can start it in Maine and take it through the New England states and pass it off to New York.
We may not be able to land in every state but we can mark off fly-overs on one of those maps our guys post as signatures.

Atlantic ocean water is a very good idea.
I have an empty plastic urinal from an old hospital stay that I will donate as the container.

I say "GO" as soon as we have a plan and volunteers across the country.
You get to decide when the plan is complete and who will do what.

Tom Corcoran

I like that idea Mike, so sad that I cannot be a part of it.
What about a challenge cup big enough for many signatures with dates and places and just let it fly around to collect signatures! It should show up to each BACFest in the future for recognition to see it growing.

Like the Stanley Cup in Hockey . I like it . :)

I like that idea Mike, so sad that I cannot be a part of it.
What about a challenge cup big enough for many signatures with dates and places and just let it fly around to collect signatures! It should show up to each BACFest in the future for recognition to see it growing.

Peter- I could probably be talked into bringing you the cup to be signed but probably would have to pull out the airbus or boeing out of the hanger for the trip !!

This is a great idea!

Trumpet says last piece of candy, Greg says GIS, and Fred says buy one unit. I would like to offer my suggestions, while borrowing all of the above.

What if the “baton” became a Santa Sack. And, instead of a piece of candy out, add a childrens gift in.
BAC buys a tracking device, (Spot?) and records the journey, posting updates on the home page.

At the end of the trip,
The last pilot donates the Sack to a childrens charity, and the Spot becomes a perpetual trophy (for next years run), or a door prize at the next BacFest

There could even be some promotion/publicity along the way, allowing others to contribute to the sack enroute?

This is going to need a name...

Brilliant Mark! We can get a sack, embroider the BAC on it and it can start east or west, depending on who posts a first leg option. We may need to set a weight limit, lest the last pilot get hammered with a 300 pound sack (will require red suit and white beard too).

Okay, all you pithy posters who are king of the turn of a phrase, what name for this say you?

So who is near the west coast or the east coast and wants to post a first leg? I see plenty of us wanting the last leg, but it won't start without the first, second, and so on. Those will be the unsung hero's of this at the finish line. Maybe they should all put in a small picture of themselves in with their "addition" and we do a board/trophy at BAC Fest?

I’m in.

I had originally proposed down the East Coast but the more states of Mouses we can get flying, the better.

Sounds like a blast...hopefully my autopilot should be fixed next week...airplane is currently at KTUL...don’t know when you want to get started. Or dip down by the Gulf coast after hurricane season and I’ll try to fly a leg.

BTW, anybody need a passenger/safety pilot from Pensacola to Tulsa leaving mid next week. My Sierra’s at Autopilot Central there.

Last edited:
MD,
Actually, what’s wrong with a 300# last leg? I would call that a great success.
Who knows, get a couple of local radio stations and FBO’s along the way, and with a bit of luck we might need a King Air for the last leg.

Neat idea. We have a member in Bremerton, Washington. Florida to Washington or Washington to Florida. The trip would probably be over 3,000 miles. Longer if someone from the Alaska Panhandle could fly to Port Angles (would need a Duchess I think). Either way, it would be a great promotion for our club. We need to determine the charity location and the age groups to make sure the toys are appropriate. I'm probably not going to participate. I can't lift 300 lbs any more.

Edit: I forgot a name. It should be something with BAC in it, like Santa's coming BAC or the like. I'm not very good at these types of things do to my poor education.

Last edited:
I can see several packages crossing the country(s) all at the same time.

Portland, Maine to San Diego, California.
Seattle, Washington to Miami, Florida
Minneapolis, Minnesota to New Orleans, Louisiana
Washington, DC to Sacramento, California
OR any departure and destination.

We need someone to make a plan for say 4 directions which we can all argue about before we do it.
I nominate Fred Cullerton (FASTFRED). It would keep him occupied and out of Steffi's way.

"BACWAYS" is born!

Tom Corcoran

I will give it some thoughts
But others should also and we can then pick and choose final routes
TC- you will be coming up with a Bew England route ?

Back