Alaska 2024

Isn't it interesting how we find the most inhospitable terrain the most scenic. Incredible photos from an incredible trip. Thanks for sharing.

Jim left on a commercial flight today to get back to work. Kathryn is coming tomorrow and we are going to ride the Alaskan Railroad. More flying pictures in a week when I take the trench route back to the lower 48.
It looks like the weather has really been good for you and Jim. Such a fantastic trip, and thanks so much for posting those great photos.

The weather has treated us very well. The first day we got caught in smoke from Tok to Fairbanks and had to get an IFR clearance in the air to get to Fairbanks. The day we went to Nome it rained all day and night in Fairbanks, so we missed it. Every day there have been showers over the mountains in the afternoon, but they don’t move and it was easy to fly around them. The day we went to Barrow was their first day of clear skies that week. Just plain lucky. Now if that luck holds for the trip home.

Last edited:
Great pix, Denis.
Yes, it brings back the memories of a decade ago, but we didn’t go to Nome, so we did get the rain at Fairbanks. We shovelled a mountain of firewood into that stove in the shelter over several days. But not all was lost, we had collected some great steaks and some cheap red wine from the Fred Meyers store, and the rest was pretty much a blur!

I made it home Monday at 4pm CDT in 3 days from Anchorage. The weather was better than expected and the trip exceeded my expectations. I did fly the trench route home and would suggest that for anyone that decides to make the trip. Like much of the trip it isn’t very hospitable terrain much of the way. The first 185 miles after leaving Watson Lake is true wilderness, no sign of civilization. Then at lake Williston airports, roads, and towns show up. After Prince George the trench narrows the roads and towns disappear and for the next 85 miles over McNaughton lake. The mountains come out of the water and go vertical, 11,000’ peaks are only 5 miles away on both sides. The southern 1/4 of the trench becomes civilized with roads, ranches, airports, and towns. Here are a few pictures.

Finally if you ever have a need for a cargo net, this on was for a Toyota Tacoma. It was well built and I think would kept everything in the back from hitting me in the head if I would have made an off airport landing.

Attachments

• IMG_2754.jpeg
    IMG_2754.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2755.jpeg
    IMG_2755.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2756.jpeg
    IMG_2756.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2761.jpeg
    IMG_2761.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2762.jpeg
    IMG_2762.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2767.jpeg
    IMG_2767.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2766.jpeg
    IMG_2766.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2768.jpeg
    IMG_2768.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2771.jpeg
    IMG_2771.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
Excellent adventure Denis. The Trench has very dramatic scenery. Definitely one for the log book. Glad your home safe.

Back