Montauk Airport Fly-In

The current advanced forecast shows 80% chance of Heavy Rain and high winds. Will keep checking this and see if there is a change as the day grows nearer. 

Bob

The rumor is correct. There will be humble BAC door prizes at the Montauk fly-in on Saturday November 12. (Note: humble).

Bob Kittine is the organizer and is watching the weather and has final authority on making the go/no go call. 

Bring your own lunch. BAC will pay the Montauk landing fees. Assemble about 11:00am. We will probably be there until after 1:00pm.

Montauk is on the most easterly tip of Long Island, New York. If you stand up straight you can almost glimpse Europe.

jerry-neild-portrait.jpg

If you do see Europe, wave to Jerry Neild, our International Region Director, who lives in England.

The advanced forecast is now waying "Rain and Wind early will give way to mostly sunny skies in the afternoon. There is an expected high of 66 Degrees F and 60% chance of rain, but hopefully over early. Winds though are expected to be 20 / 30. If they are out of the south west as normal, they should be close to down the runway. 

Neil, the airport manager has committed to opening up at 10:00 and I plan on being there by plane or car at that time, so maybe this still may work.

Bob

I have let Neil (Airport Manager) know that we may or may not still have this depending on the Weather. I will take a look tomorrow and then very early on Friday and see how things are. For me, it could be a Drive In anyway.

Will keep you posted. 

Just looked at the latest forecast for tomorrow and it looks like the morning at least will start out really poorly. Even though there might be some clearing by Noon, the winds will not be kind and anyone coming from any distance would get hit with the bad weather getting there. 

There is another Fly In next weekend at Danielson, only about 50 miles away, so considering everything, we are CANCELING the Montauk Fly In for tomorrow. 

I have been assured that the Montauk Airport is not going away in the foreseeable future and Neil told me as soon as the Contract with Vector expires, they are going back to handling their own Land Fee collection and the landing fee should go back to $25.00 as Vector collects 27% to handle it. 

Bob 

Thank you Bob Kittine for organizing the Montauk, NY fly-in which has been hurricaned out. We await your instructions as you reschedule Montauk. Five days notice is all we require for a club sanction. 

Next Saturday November 19th is the Danielson, Connecticut fly-in organized by Ken Cook. Details to emerge during next week. 

bacfest-032.JPG

Photo is of Ruth Neild and husband Jerry at BACFest 2017 in New Bedford, Massachusetts. Both are BAC members from England. The locals realized the only (sea) battle fought off the coast of New Bedford was us against the British. Ruth took the brunt of the punishment. Photo has nothing to do with the Danielson fly-in.

Just bumping this message up. Today's fly-in at Montauk NY is cancelled due to weather. 

(Messages disappear fast here... don't they!)

The sky actually cleared well before they forecasted it, but it was still very windy. Will see when we can schedule another try for Montauk. 

With the new changes to KMTP I have again reached out to the airport manager to see if there is a way we could pull off a Fly In there as spring gets closer.

Neil, the airport manager just got back to me. He will have an answer Friday as what the new owner will do for us?

Back