BACFest 2015 Hotel/Schedule

jweiser17

Started Engine
Hey Everyone, Great to see so many signed up for BACFest DBQ 2015!!! We are currently sold out of rooms at the Grand Harbor Resort. Matt and I are currently in talks with other hotels in DBQ for additional rooms for those who will be in need of a hotel. We are also working on transportation options to get those who won't be staying at the Grand Harbor to and from there hotels to meet the shuttle/boat. I am sure many of you received an email today pertaining to the Saturday night rate at the Grand Harbor. Apparently there was a glitch in there computer system and you were told your Saturday night rate would only be $89. This is not correct. The Saturday night rate will be $129. We did sign a contract back in February locking in the rate of $129 on Saturday night. Thursday and Friday night will be $89. Sorry if this has caused any inconvenience for any of you.

Below is a list of other events that will be going on in DBQ and the surrounding area if your not interested in one of the events we have planned or your are bringing your family and they are interested in other activities:

Dubuque Area Baconfest

Thursday, October 1
Grand River Center

Prepare yourself for an evening of tasty bacon dishes from local restaurants, grocery stores, BBQ pits and caterers. Dubuque Area Baconfest is a fundraiser for Area Residential Care. This year it will be held at the Grand River Center with VIP ticket admission from 5–6 PM and GA from 6–9 PM. For more information, visit DBQBacon.com.

Dubuque Farmers Market
Saturday, October 3
Iowa Street

Tails at Twilight DRHS Annual Fall Gala

Friday, October 2 @ 4:30 PM
Grand River Center

Tails at Twilight is the Dubuque Regional Humane Society's annual fall gala featuring a delicious dinner, entertainment, silent & live auction, and a 50/50 Cats vs Dogs cash raffle. Social & Silent Auction at 4:30 PM, Dinner at 6 PM, and Program at 7 PM. Tickets are $50 per person or $500 for a table of 10. All proceeds benefit the over 4,000 lost, abandoned, and unwanted animals that the shelter cares for each year. For more information, visit DBQHumane.org.

Swiss Valley Trail Run

Saturday, October 3 @ 9 AM
Swiss Valley Nature Center

This trail run will feature all the best of the Dubuque County landscape including creek crossings, steep inclines, and rugged terrain. The run will offer three distance options: 5.2 miles, 10.4 miles, and a 25K all set against the beautiful backdrop of Swiss Valley Nature Preserve. All proceeds from the run will benefit the Friends of Dubuque County Conservation who help support Dubuque County parks and environmental education!

In addition to the other races we will be having a kids fun run this year. The run will be a distance of 1 kilometer through part of the trail system giving the kids a chance to be a part of the creek stomping action along with the other racers. All we ask is that the children participating in the event are registered with a friend or family member whom is already running the event. This will be a bonus for all of the registered runners and allow their little runners a chance to participate for free. If you have any question about the run please let us know. This will be an event for the kids who are 12 and under.
For more information, find Swiss Valley Trail Run on Facebook or visit UltraSignUp.com/register.aspx?did=32699.

Tri-States’ Largest Chili Cook-Off

Saturday, October 3
Cable Car Square

The Tri-States’ Largest Chili Cook-Off transforms historic Cable Car Square on Dubuque’s Bluff Street into an aromatic chili tasting and competition. With live music and beer, Cook-Off also features a variety of kids games, food and entertainment at this family-friendly event.

Galena Oktoberfest

Saturday, October 3
Galena Eastside Riverfront

Annual German celebration featuring non-stop live music, wiener dog races, polka dancing and lessons, German-style food and beverage, bounce-house and games for the kids, and much more. Adults and teens are $5. Kids are free. For more information, visit GalenaLions.org/Galena-Oktoberfest.asp

The DBQ Team would also like to announce that we have a special surprise lined up for the winner of Friday afternoons poker run!!!

If you haven't signed up for BACFest DBQ please do! We have a great itinerary planned and you are sure to have a good time! If you have any questions our concerns don't hesitate to contact myself or anyone else on the DBQ Team. Hope to see there!

Good write-up. Maybe you should blast if out to all members in an email as a BACFest reminder with a link to the BAC website article.

There are still rooms available at the Grand Harbor Resort, just not at the BACfest rate.

I travel a lot. I know more about hotels than I want to know. There are always rooms available, for a price. Hotels reserve there very best rooms until the last.

BACfest rate;
$89+89+129=$307+taxes+fees=$378

King suite;
$169+169+209=$547+taxes+fees=$629.05

They also have suites with two double beds for a little less than the King Suites. Traveling first class cost a tiny bit more.

Wow .... Great organizing and great rates! Thanks!

QUESTION (from a Texan):

What are my taxi-to instructions upon landing? No luck finding a site for Blue Sky and I am not sure if the Jet Center at DBQ is the place to tie down. Just let me know where to point the nose .....

Thanks,
Nelson

Nelson,
Dubuque Jet Center will be handling parking/tie down on field at DBQ. They are located at the twin gold hangers on the southeast side of the field (intersection of Charlie and Alpha taxiway). Blue Skies Maintenance shares the second gold hanger with the FBO at that end of the field. We will have crew on hand Thursday afternoon at Blue Skies to welcome everyone to Dubuque. Part of the welcoming will include a hot grill, cold drinks, welcome packets from the City of Dubuque, and a 15 passenger van for transportation into town. Look forward to seeing you there and feel free to contact us with any questions.

Here is contact info for the Hilton Garden Inn: (563) 585-5200. The rooms are reserved under 'Beech Aero Club' and will be released 07/21/2015. 10 kings and 5 doubles @ $159/night.

DO we call the Hilton Garden Inn directly or just book thru the website? To verify, they will shuttle us to the event and airport??

You should call the Hilton directly. We are going to have a van to pick arrivals up from the airport on Thursday. If you arrive later we will post a cell number on the website that you can call and we will get you picked up at he airport. The Hilton will shuttle to the Grand Harbor for the events.

Here is contact info for the Hilton Garden Inn:(563) 585-5200. The rooms are reserved under 'Beech Aero Club' and will be released three weeks prior . 10 kings and 5 doubles @ $159/night.

Hilton Garden will also be providing free transportation to and from the Grand Harbor

You should call the Hilton directly. We are going to have a van to pick arrivals up from the airport on Thursday. If you arrive later we will post a cell number (855 We Fly Beech ext 3 ) on the website that you can call and we will get you picked up at the airport. The Hilton will shuttle to the Grand Harbor for the events.

We are still getting more reservations and registrations. This has the potential to be the biggest ever. 36 planes and counting so far . Don't delay on registering and getting a room while we can figure out a way to keep your costs down. The Dubuque team has really done there homework and organized a amazing event . All they ask is you register and reserve a room so they can better plan. If you are in range of this ,I would strongly recommend you attend. You will most likely be kicking yourself if you have the ability to participate in some function and do not. If you reserved a room and haven't registered please email to be added jp@getxray.com Thanks JP

Note. I cut and paste the above threads to put it all together.

Jim and Denis and John and other very capable volunteers,

Thanks for the great job in management and scheduling. Getting excited ....

My plans and info:
- arrival Wednesday afternoon with a full day's flight. Alternate travel day is Tuesday if the weather points me in that direction. I don't want to miss this!
- hoping for a CFI ride on Thursday for bi-annual. Also prop balancing. Schedules?
- plan to bike ride around town (folding bike - photo). Area bike paths look pretty good. Any others?
- my cell phone 210-834-1991 if anyone wishes to call at DBQ or prior

Be safe,
Nelson Amen

Attachments

• IMG_0188a.jpg
    IMG_0188a.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 24
Unofficial hotel update:

I just talked to Grand Harbor-DBQ and they still have rooms. As Brother Bill S pointed out, it is just the BAC rate rooms that are sold out. There are still some reasonable room rates. The Hilton Garden also still has rooms.

Thanks to all the Coordinators/Volunteers/Behind-the-scenes unpraised folks that are making this event another great one! I can't wait.

Hold my beer, watch this!

Bob

Tom, Since the field is class D with commercial service I don't think camping on the field would be an option. I am flying to DBQ on Sunday to do some planning with the BAC team, I will ask the locals what camping options could be available.

Is camping on the field at DBQ an option, and if so, is anyone wishing or planning to camp?

CB

Nelson, I am have a spread sheet started for Prop Balancing scheduling. I will send you a copy with the time slots.
Thanks, Denis

Jim and Denis and John and other very capable volunteers,

Thanks for the great job in management and scheduling. Getting excited ....

My plans and info:
- arrival Wednesday afternoon with a full day's flight. Alternate travel day is Tuesday if the weather points me in that direction. I don't want to miss this!
- hoping for a CFI ride on Thursday for bi-annual. Also prop balancing. Schedules?
- plan to bike ride around town (folding bike - photo). Area bike paths look pretty good. Any others?
- my cell phone 210-834-1991 if anyone wishes to call at DBQ or prior

Be safe,
Nelson Amen

Back