Peach State Aerodrome (GA2) Vintage Day 4 June 2016

cbooton

Climbing to Cruise
Hope we can get a good showing for Peach State Aerodrome's (aka Candler Field) Vintage Day on Saturday, 4 June from 1100 to 1700. I would like to be there, but have a commitment in Colorado earlier that week and would be a stretch for me to attend.

Could I count on one of y'all from the SE region to honcho this?

It's a wonderful airport, flown in there several times. Rwy 13/31, relatively smooth sod, 2,400' x 100', 950 ft AGL, downhill to the NW.

The owner, CEO, President, Director Ron Alexander is a retired Delta Captain and gaga about old airplanes. The Candler Field Museum is a living museum located in rural Williamson GA where old aeroplanes still fly, antique cars still drive and the sights and sounds of the 1920s era come to life every day. He has basically recreated the terminal and motif of Atlanta's first commercial airport, Candler Field, circa late '20s. It features a wonderful museum, great restaurant (Barnstormer Grill) among other attractions. The event will feature Ron's DC-3 arrival, fly-by's, a gun raffle, entertainment by folks wearing period clothing, a candy drop performed by a restored 1917 Curtiss Jenny (one of only six flying worldwide) and many other activities.

It's located about an hour south of Atlanta and close to Griffin-Spalding County Airport (6A2) if you prefer a paved runway alternative.

Several hotel chains are located in Griffin, but I would imagine most can fly to/from same day.

I spoke with Ron this morning and he's looking forward to meeting our august group. It's a big event among many that he hosts yearlong. It's a great environment embraced by the community and full of airplane nuts like us. I highly encourage y'all to check it out.

There are no "hold harmless" or "covenant not to sue" paperwork required, but Ron strongly recommends reviewing local procedures by accessing his website (http://www.peachstateaero.com/) and clicking "Airport Operations" from the home page .

I'll be overseas 12-26 May, then immediately heading to Colorado thereafter, but I'll try to monitor the BAC site when I have access to free WiFi.

A great way to start off the summer...come on down/up! Please let me know if anyone's interested in hosting the event on behalf of BAC. Take a lot of pics and have a great time!

Cheers,

Charley Booton, SE Director, Sierra, N9143S

Charley,

Cool place. After squeezing it onto 5000 ft runways this place will make you tighten things up a little bit. For added fun the last time I was there landed with a 20 knot gusty crosswind.

I will check the family calendar and advise if I can be there and host.

thanks for setting this up for us.

Peace,
Don

Great Don...flown in there a time or two myself. A challenge, but safe if you're prudent. Typically t/o 31(downhill) and land 13. If you can honcho it, hook up with Ron Alexander...his number's on the website...great guy and would love to see us all.

Cheers, Charley

Don, just got back from Ireland few days ago and enroute to Colorado. Any takers for the 4 June GA2 vintage day fly in? Sorry, but I'll still be out of town by then. Should be a great time.

I have been instructed that I will be at a housewarming party by SWMBO. Weather is looking sketchy as well. Maybe next time.

Peace,
Don

Roger that I'm still out of town for at least another week. I also saw the weather and yes it does look pretty pretty iffy doesn't it?Thanks anyway Don appreciate the help. Maybe we will try to do something over the next couple months. Or just organize another flyin there regardless of whether they have activity there or not. It's always fun to take a look at the museum and they have a great restaurant called the Barnstormers Grill. Ron Alexander says we are always welcome.

Back