Bahamas 2018-19 winter?

paulwerbin

Headed to Andromeda
It has been a while since we had a Bahamas fly-in. I am planning on spending a good bit of time this winter in the Abacos and Exumas. All easy places to fly to. If anyone is heading down let me know and we can catch up island style!

gotta make it there! by plane, by boat, what ever .....

I would be interested taking my Sundowner. It would also be my first time there, so guidance and recommendations would be much appreciated.

Nelson Amen
San Antonio, Texas

Attachments

• steamboat cove feb 2018.jpg
    steamboat cove feb 2018.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 26
Nelson
Get your DTOPS sticker from Customs for the Sundowner now for next year 2019
You’ Need before you go
Fred

That has been a dream of mine. If not this winter, next winter for sure. I would like to either 1) go, or 2) follow along with the planning of those going this year so I know what to do, and how to get there.

Always been a bucket list item for Mary and I. We never made it in the Sundowner, but had hopes of taking the Debonair on that hop. Who knows what the future holds.

Les, like you I would also like to go through the process. I would also like to see all the work you have done on your Sundowner. Let’s catch up now that Mary can at least drive me to the airport. I have two vehicles in the hangar needing exercize.

There is a fairly thorough write up in an old Bactalk magazine. Should be on this site somewhere. It is a surprisingly easy trip that just requires a bit of preparation and faith in your plane. Easy vfr flight. AOPA also has up to date advice on their site. I have flown my Sierra to the Bahamas many times. The first time is intimidating but no big deal once you have the process down. I just strongly advise avoiding Freeport and Nassau. 60 other airports to pick from.

I too have this on my list of things to do. They usually have a booth a Sun N Fun to educate you on the trip. My biggest concerns are weight of the life raft you have to rent and the airports that have and don't have fuel.

Always been a bucket list item for Mary and I. We never made it in the Sundowner, but had hopes of taking the Debonair on that hop. Who knows what the future holds.

Les, like you I would also like to go through the process. I would also like to see all the work you have done on your Sundowner. Let’s catch up now that Mary can at least drive me to the airport. I have two vehicles in the hangar needing exercize.

Gary, I'd be thrilled to meet Mary and see you again. I think I'll pick up the SD this weekend if the wx holds. I would be very pleased to show you what I've done. When we left that morning in Cambridge, I said that I had the feeling that was going to be a very expensive breakfast. I didn't know the half of it.

Let's plan for the Bahamas at Ocean City Muni!

I usually just check in at one of the airports that has reliable fuel. North Eleuthera or Stella Maris etc. then I have gas to hop around a week or so. And I clear out at customs at a reliable airport with gas. The trip crossing over isn’t that far so a tank can make the round trip usually. Facts deserve some thought. Sometimes a really light raft is worse than no raft. I have a WINSLOW island flyer which I like but it is heavy.

Back