BACFest 2024

UPDATED The time and date for the pre-BACFEST 2024 VIP Winery Tour and tasting is now set: 1200 hrs (local not GMT!) at the Nicolas Jay Winery just outside Newberg OR. There's a music link there with co-owner being Jay Boburg (look him up) and another Musketeer link with music will be revealed at or just before BACFEST. The Winery is well-thought of for its Pinot Noir but of late its Chardonnay has begun to attract attention and favourable comment from across this side of the Pond.

They are expecting us to turn up with no more than a dozen in the group and so far interest has been expressed by just half that number. If you would like to participate just let me know by PM.

For those with an aircraft and a means (one no drinking pilot?) to stay legal, the Chehalem Airpark (17S) is nearby, with an asphalt runway just shy of 2300' and at 190' elevation. The Airpark is 4nm from the UBG VOR on the 220 radial and about 27nm SW of KPDX. As the crow flies it is 108 nm from KBDN.

We will be happy to provide transport to the Winery from the Airpark (17S)

The Winery website can be found at:
https://www.nicolas-jay.com

The Redcoats are mustering ready to invade......

See you at BACFEST

Last edited:
If you haven't yet considered flying your Mouse from the east or mid-west or south to BAC Fest, I would highly encourage you do this, and consider these three routes to "cross the Rockies." What I call the North Route shows from North Platte NE to Boise ID (you can ask our host John about this, he just did it to/from OSH); then there is the South Route; and then my favorite, the Right Thru the Rockies Scenic Route (which was my way west or east in the Sundowner, can be done as low as 9,500 :)).

I've done all of these in the Sundowner, the South Route when I only had 6 hours in the plane (just got her) and only ~80 hours in my log book. Yes I leaned on those more experienced (even made a call or two during the flight to ask again and again).

If you haven't had a big adventure flight yet and think your Mouse isn't fast enough or it's too high or it's too big a trip I'd encourage you to do it, the plane can and you'll have the time of your life making a long journey in your plane with stops at new places in the scenic west. Fly early and stop early (before the DA hikes up), so it's broken up into a bunch of small trips.

It can be a great flying adventure and you get to skip dealing with commercial flying. Hope to see you at BAC Fest 2024.

I will be flying the north route. Hoping for a nice rain by mid-September to end the forest fires.
I have been wondering how John’s trip from OshKosh went with the smoke from the California fire.

I definitely do not want to dissuade anyone from making the trip. Getting across the Rockies using the routes outlined is not a difficult task. As pointed out, these are the trips you will remember to the end and the experience is rewarding and confidence building. If there is smoke, be thoughtful about visibilities. 3 miles in smoke is IFR. I don't care what the rules say. It is unlikely you will top the smoke from a larger fire. Inadvertently flying into a heavier smoke area can eliminate any horizon. None of it is a problem if you have an Instrument Rating and file IFR, although you will smell the smoke.

Another forest fire fly issue can be local Fire Fighting TFRs. For small fires the TFR maybe be from the surface to 2K, 3K or 5K feet AGL depending on the type of air assets being deployed. Large fires typically are from the surface to 10K feet agl. That means in the Cascades you may have a TFR that extends up to 20K feet msl or more.
Anyway, it's best to check TFRs before every flight and make sure they are noted on whatever EFB your using, then just avoid them.

I have used the "Northern" route to fly to OSH several times now, most recenty this past couple of weeks for Airventure 2024. The return trip to Bend began on Friday July 30 from OSH. Due to building thunderstorms across our path, we overnighted in Alliance NE along with Michael Dunlevie (who was returning to Eagle CO.) Smoke (from all the fires in the West) was present and visible, but not a factor that far East. Saturday morning the Thunderstorms had dissipated and moved on, so we pushed West, requiring some deviation around some cells in Southern WY to make our fuel stop in Rock Springs WY. The further West we proceeded, the more visible the smoke became. The last leg of our return to Bend was from Gooding, in South Central Idaho, a 2 hr 20 min flight. The smoke from the huge Park Fire in Northern CA had dissipated to the point that it did not impact our flight 250 miles to the NE. In the Burns OR. area, we had 3 fire TFR’s to avoid along our route, 2 North of us, and 1 South. Prevailing winds were mostly to the NE. That is the segment of the trip where the smoke became a factor. Obviously, the wind will dictate where the smoke is directed, but then the wind intensity also affects the visibility. Lower winds seem to allow the smoke to stay more localized and build vertically, creating dense heavy smoke in nearer proximity to the fires. We flew VFR the entire route, maintained 6,500’ from Boise ID to Bend OR. Using our charts we stayed in the low-lying valleys and flat lands, somewhat following the Westbound highway through Eastern Oregon. At the worst point, when we were just north of the southern TFR, the visibility was down to 5 miles for about 20 minutes. We knew Burns OR. (BNO- North of our route) was reporting 8 miles and clear with smoke, so we knew we could deviate there if the situation became worse.

I spent 22 years as a firefighter with the Sunriver fire department working many summers on local and regional brush/forest fires. This year is the driest and most explosive fire season that I can remember. Today we are back up to triple digits temps in Central Oregon. The forecast for next week is cooling to the low 90’s with possible showers which will certainly help with the fire situation.

I would hope that in the next 7 weeks, temperatures will be lower, the fire danger will decrease, and the intensity of the existing fires will be diminished with less impact on visibilities for flying.

There are 6 places remaining for any interested BACers at the Pre-BACFEST 2024 VIP Winery Tour and Tasting on 17 September. As things stand, the normal cost of attendance (in excess of our annual membership fee) has been discounted to $0, as good a deal as one could hope for - save for those who want to be paid to sample their offerings! To be courteous to our hosts it would be nice if we could confirm numbers by no later than 7 September. Those still to solidify their travel plans, take this opportunity if you can make it work for you.

I have been able to confirm that while at BACFest 2024 we will have an opportunity to tour the EPIC aircraft manufacturing facilities located at the Bend Airport! I spoke with their director of marketing while attending Airventure this year and she notified me yesterday they would "Love to host" our group in September! Their all composite manufacture technology is a far cry from our rivets and sheet metal, and will be fascinating to witness.
See you all soon!1723132610899.png

If you haven't yet considered flying your Mouse from the east or mid-west or south to BAC Fest, I would highly encourage you do this, and consider these three routes to "cross the Rockies." What I call the North Route shows from North Platte NE to Boise ID (you can ask our host John about this, he just did it to/from OSH); then there is the South Route; and then my favorite, the Right Thru the Rockies Scenic Route (which was my way west or east in the Sundowner, can be done as low as 9,500 :)).

I've done all of these in the Sundowner, the South Route when I only had 6 hours in the plane (just got her) and only ~80 hours in my log book. Yes I leaned on those more experienced (even made a call or two during the flight to ask again and again).

If you haven't had a big adventure flight yet and think your Mouse isn't fast enough or it's too high or it's too big a trip I'd encourage you to do it, the plane can and you'll have the time of your life making a long journey in your plane with stops at new places in the scenic west. Fly early and stop early (before the DA hikes up), so it's broken up into a bunch of small trips.

It can be a great flying adventure and you get to skip dealing with commercial flying. Hope to see you at BAC Fest 2024.
Mike,

Thank you for posting these routes. I am not sure if I will be able to attend this year and would be coming from SoCal anyhow, but was curious for future Oshkosh planning (maybe next year).

Roy

Since it's in my neck of the woods, so to speak, I do plan on being there. Registration and hotel reservations are made. Weather permitting, I hope to fly in (should be about 2.5 hours) but I'll drive if I have to.

Just registered yesterday and looking forward to this wonderful event…too good to pass up! Looking to see if anyone has a copilot seat available. Exploring travel options. Would love to fly my airplane, but trying to sell her and might have some prospects look her over while I’m away. Otherwise, I’ll go airlines or a take a mongo road trip (which I enjoy…but jeez…that’s a hike from Pensacola!).

John, do we have a date and time for the Epic factory tour? Is the 'Switchblade' look see confirmed?
Hi Mark, sorry for the delay in responding. The Epic Tour will be @ 9:30 am Thursday morning the 19th. The factory tour of Sampson Sky (home of the Switchblade) will be immediately after the Epic tour. Samson CEO Sam Bousfield or one of his engineers will lead that tour.
Both tours will be quite remarkable, highlighting what advancements in new technology has been brought to general aviation.

Hope to see you here!

John

Thanks for making these tours happen, signing on!

I had the good fortune to be one of 30 AOPA members to tour the Boeing dual aisle plant at one of their flyins, your two tours are sealing the BAC deal for me, thank you.

Just registered yesterday and looking forward to this wonderful event…too good to pass up! Looking to see if anyone has a copilot seat available. Exploring travel options. Would love to fly my airplane, but trying to sell her and might have some prospects look her over while I’m away. Otherwise, I’ll go airlines or a take a mongo road trip (which I enjoy…but jeez…that’s a hike from Pensacola!).
Look forward to seeing you again Charlie, BACFest wouldn't be the same without you!

Thanks for making these tours happen, signing on!

I had the good fortune to be one of 30 AOPA members to tour the Boeing dual aisle plant at one of their flyins, your two tours are sealing the BAC deal for me, thank you.
That's great Mark! Should be a pretty flight up the Cascades for you. These latest storms have scoured out the smoke and hopefully their rain has squelched the fires somewhat. See you in September!

John

John,

I am probably being a dullard but was looking to find a schedule for BACFEST, - Mtce Clinic/Pottery visit, AGM, Dinner etc (I have the Epic and Sampson details). I checked the PP Pres and re-read the thread, what have I missed? We will arrive in Bend, all being well, about lunchtime on the 18th; where might we run into fellow Musketeers, please?

Jerry

Hello Jerry, and all other BACFest bound attendees! This weekend I will post the general schedule of events here on the forums, but in the meantime, know that our Welcome reception will be held at the Waypoint Hotel, Wednesday afternoon from 3:00-6:00.

See you all real soon.

Back