Possible 34A BAC Fly-In And Work Weekend

Rellihan

Touring the Galaxy
Monty and I both expect to be 'batching it' on the weekend of October 28-29. I already know of one member who would like to bring his plane here for some piddling around on the 28th. I am contemplating just scheduling a BAC Maintenance Fly-In for that weekend, with refreshments and chow available. We could also plan on a lunch run to Hickory Hill BBQ buffet on Saturday; all-you-can-eat BBQ and sides, including real (and tender) smoked pork ribs, for $7.50. It even includes your drink and tax. On Sunday, the same place does a Sunday dinner buffet, usually everything except BBQ, for maybe a buck more. We'd just need to work around prime time both days, as it is jammed during the lunch rush (especially on Sunday, after church lets out).

I could even put three people up overnight (bedroom, office day-bed, and Great Room sofa-bed). There are also many inexpensive motels and hotels around, plus a new Hampton Inn that runs about $90 a night with all taxes included. Of course, that's really high-end around here!

I would not want to get into any heavy lifting, like donut changes and stuff. Just hardware replacements, rigging checks, small drag clean-up items, general once-overs, etc. I can show and demo some donut compression tooling, which will soon be available to members for about the cost of shipping.

Anyhow, if we decide to pursue this, I will need to get it on the BAC Calendar, and get it cleared through the airport management. They may also grant us a fuel discount as well, and I think their price is still under $4 a gallon as it is. Last I bought (a few days ago) it was $3.84/gallon cash, $3.94 credit, all taxes included. I can't predict the discount, but at the last fly-in it was twenty cents per gallon. Of course, we'd also need to have Dr. Bill show the Mid-Atlantic BAC Banner, right?! Maybe the airport would even let us pull a couple of planes out of the big hangar, and let us set up some tables and chairs. We could have some of the work going on in front of my hangar, and some lighter stuff going on at the big hangar.

Please let me know how much interest there is in this; even if you don't want to work on your plane, but would like to watch (or help) others work on theirs... and just shoot the breeze about flying. Maybe I could even round up someone with a transportable bigger TV and DVD player, and we could run One Six Right and the Battle Of Britain all day long.

NOTE! I MAY BE ABLE TO START ON THURSDAY OR FRIDAY: STILL THROUGH SUNDAY! I think Paula and Skye are pulling out on Wednesday.

Mike,

I will be there both days and will do the Hampton Inn (too many points sitting idle in my account). I have One Six Right and many other DVDs with history and flying highlights on F-14s, F-16s, and more. Let me know if you need them. I will bring all the Aircraft Spruce items in tow. For those that have last minute orders I could pick up on the way. Falcon Field is a quick hop in the plane.

See ya that weekend,
Doug

Man, I'd really like to be there. If I left Salt Lake City on Thursday and had good VFR weather the whole way, I could probably make it. Hmmmmm, let me see......

Chris

Chris, When you figure out what day you will be passing over Wichita, let me know and we'll head down there together, If you can slow that Sierra down slow enough to let my Sundowner keep up :D
I would love to come down for one some weekend Mike but I will be in Atlanta that weekend. Keep them coming, I would love to attend one sometime. @ 768NM We'are only looking at 7-8 hours. Maybe you could have one the week before BAC Fest 2007. Looks like I will at least have a reason to be on the right side of the country that weekend.

Dave

Too bad you can't take your plane to Atlanta, Dave. Dekalb-Peachtree Kpdk is only about an hour's flight from 34A, in the Sierra.

Mike:

I DEFINITELY do want to come to one of your maintenance weekends (and BBQ Banquets :D ) one of these days but the 28/29th won't work. Keep us posted on upcoming dates.

As Always....thanks

Gene McPherson

Mike,

Holly & I would like to attend, weather permitting. I think that we would probably be just a day trip if that's ok. I'm working through a spinner issue right now and will let you know.

Ed & Holly
N29JR
0A7

Paula is leaving for the dog show on Wednesday morning. The BBQ shack opens on Thursday. I can make Work Days available starting on Thursday, if anyone wishes to come in early. So we'll have a 4-day 34A Work Weekend/BAC Fly-In! Come one, Come all! Come early!

Looking forward to it Mike, however, won't have next friday off, even though I had asked for it; I cancelled it this past Thurs as I didn't know how long you would be in Florida -- With that being said, I will be able to make it Saturday and most of Sunday...and Maybe possibly friday afternoon after about 1600; if I can get off on time or move hours up...But Sat and Sun for sure.

Monty

Well, heck, Mike, I would love to do this. Unfortunately, Halloween weekend is bad for me, since my pups are still young and fully involved in the Halloween spirit. Parades, parties, you name it. Should the opportunity arise in the future, I would love to make the trip.

Our 34A Work Day Weekend remains a 'go'. There is a fast-moving band of weather headed this way, which may impact us on Friday. Saturday and Sunday are supposed to remain good. So far. Maybe. After all, this is a BAC Fly-In.

The FBO fuel price will be $3.75 per gallon for BAC attendees, on any day they arrive or leave. This includes all taxes.

I'll be doing a little bit of auto maintenance early on Thursday, so we'll have an extra vehicle available. I can be reached at 864-682-2181 or 864-981-0673, if you want to let me know when you have an ETA.

Beautiful day today at 34A, but no BAC'ers there but me. But I had some goooood BBQ ribs for company.

Supposed to rain tonight and all day tomorrow, clearing overnight Friday.

Greg Johnson and I are planning to fly up on Sunday. If good VFR both Sundowners if 'if if" Greg will fly with me. I hope we can get the final adjustment on the rudder or ribs-either way sounds good.

Mike Dawson

My kitchen pass got pulled. We are painting the family room so I can do the floor next weekend !(Yipii)
Dr Bill

Back