Northwest Flyin- Independence State, Oregon (7S5) Saturday May 11, 2024

JohnFoster

Climbing to Cruise
Is it spring yet?! It seems like winter doesn't want to give up its chokehold on the Pacific Northwest this year. According to the weather guru's, next Saturday we may begin to see some sort of return to normalcy and perhaps some warm temps and blue skies! Lets take advantage of the forecast by gathering in the heart of the Willamette Valley, just SW of Salem for breakfast. Saturday, May 11 2024. The Starduster Cafe, located on the airport in Independence, has been serving up a great variety of breakfast favorites as well as many lunch choices since 2006.

Meet fellow BAC'ers @ 10:00 am and as usual BAC will buy your meal.
Reply here if you are planning to attend, or text John Foster @ (541) 693-4530 or email me @ Beech78KD@gmail.com.

Contact me with questions, see you there!

John
Northwest Regional Director
Bend OR.
N78KD
(541)693-4530

Last edited:
I may actually be able to make that. Looks like about two hours flight time, depending on winds.

Last edited:
Nevada! It would be great to see you again. High pressure is moving in and it should be beautiful for flying all across our region this weekend.
Have a good week!

John

If I'm reading it correctly, I can fly if I file a flight plan (which I would do anyway) and if I'm in contact with ATC (presumably Seattle Center) at departure. I'll have to look into this further to be sure.

Last edited:
I need to better figure out the procedure for this. I'm not sure if I need to be in contact with ATC, and have a transponder code, when I take off or if I take off and then contact Seattle Approach afterward. I think I'll call flight services tomorrow and ask them about it. As of right now, though, I can't guarantee that I'll be able to make it. If not, maybe another get together can be held somewhere later in the spring or summer.

Good luck Nevada, keep me updated. One of our members lives in one of the airport homes. He informed me that Saturday is their monthly EAA meeting, and we are welcome to stop by! They have a guest speaker after the meeting, an Air Force U-2 pilot, who will be telling stories!

I just called Flight Services and I have the plan. So, barring unforeseen circumstances, I'll see you tomorrow morning.
As an aside, the Flight Services folks are always so friendly. I just love talking with them.

And on the return flight, as long as I get back in the area after 2:45pm, the TFR will be over so I won't have to deal with it.

Oh yes, for sure. Before I leave I'm going to call Flight Services directly and confirm. May even call them while in the air, too.

When Obama was in Seattle 10 years (or so) ago his departure time was set back an hour. The TFR was extended on the fly, so to speak. And several GA pilots wound up busting the TFR.

For some reason, presidents never arrive early, but frequently leave late.

Was a beautiful day to fly in the Northwest! We have been waiting all year for the sky to clear and it didn't disappoint today! Ken, myself and Nevada on the deck at the Skydancer restaurant in Independence.

Attachments

• 20240511_112047(0)_copy_617x392.jpg
    20240511_112047(0)_copy_617x392.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 6
I really enjoyed flying down there on Saturday. The procedure for the TFR went very smooth. I called Seattle Center before I pulled my plane out of the hangar and got a transponder code, which I punched in after I started the engine. I took off and called Seattle Approach and, from that point, it was standard flight following. By the time I got back, the TFR had expired but I had FF anyway.

Here are a few photos I took. One is Mt. St. Helens, one is a lovely Great Lakes biplane, and the last is a plane they're building in the EAA shop.

Attachments

• 20240511_152336204_iOS.jpg
    20240511_152336204_iOS.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240511_183818103_iOS.jpg
    20240511_183818103_iOS.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240511_191630954_iOS.jpg
    20240511_191630954_iOS.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
Back