Beeches, Pieces, and Peaches - FLY-IN - Jan. 21, 2017 - San Antonio, TX - 8T8

trumpet nelson

Around The Moon
ALL - - OUR FIRST SOUTH CENTRAL REGION FLY-IN FOR THE YEAR. HERE IS WHAT YOU WILL FIND ON THE CALENDAR:

Fly over to Nelson's hangar and see how many pieces you can get from a Sundowner. Just the firewall forward occupies 4 tables. I will also have the aircraft "exploded" for my annual. Flashlights and boroscope available, of course. But no goodie bags for you to take home parts ..... please!

BBQ LUNCH AT NOON. SERVING FROM 11:30 AM TO 2:30 PM. PEACH COBBLER FOR DESSERT.

January weather in Texas can be a gamble, so don't plan your daughter's wedding around this fly-in.

Nelson Amen
210-834-1991 cell

Attachments

• IMG_2148a.jpg
    IMG_2148a.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2145a.jpg
    IMG_2145a.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1960bb.jpg
    IMG_1960bb.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 54
Thanks Nelson, I will plan for it but which is your airport identifier? Is your airport a living community?

Arturo

Last edited:
Arturo,

Identifier - - - 8T8

Yes - - about 25 residents and about 100 of us with hangars. 3,000 ft paved.

My hangar is the 4th one in from the "35" numbers on the runway. Blue side walls.

Sunrise photo taken from inside the hangar. Sweet.

Attachments

• 8T8 looking northa.jpg
    8T8 looking northa.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 62
  • 8T8 looking southa.jpg
    8T8 looking southa.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5599a.jpg
    IMG_5599a.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7702a_1.jpg
    IMG_7702a_1.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 54
ONLY 14 DAYS TO GO !!! BE THERE !!! :D

Yep - - we'll need to keep an eye on the weather. Three days ago it was PERFECT with clear skies and temperatures in the 70's. This morning, not so much (cloudy, in the twenty's). Typical Texas!

Boxes of engine parts are arriving from all over the United States.

Hope you all can make it - - free samples of black duct for all attendees ....

Taxi safe, plan safe, and do what your wife says!!

Attachments

• 1126161324a.jpg
    1126161324a.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 25
Mark me as a tentative. If any of you Houston guys have an empty front seat or want to ride with me, let me know. The ol'lady is out of town that weekend so I'll probably be by myself.

ONLY ONE WEEK TO GO !! Grill will be smokin' at noon Saturday.

Here is the current (most excellent) forecast:

Friday mostly sunny 78/55 10% chance rain
Saturday partly cloudy 79/56 20%
Sunday sunny 74/52 0%

Of course, we'll touch base here Thursday evening and make a final call. But ..... looking good!

Might be three BAC planes arriving, and hoping for more (please let me know ... for the groceries).

My remaining internals (crankshaft, gears, etc.) arrive next week, so all pieces firewall forward will be on the tables for your enjoyment. Plus, your expertise will be appreciated. With luck - - - see you then !!

Attachments

• 1126161324a.jpg
    1126161324a.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3112a_1.jpg
    IMG_3112a_1.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3320_1.JPG
    IMG_3320_1.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3102a_1.jpg
    IMG_3102a_1.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 28
If the weather allows you'll see me or us and N6635D. We're currently planning to fly down to visit friends in Rockport on Thursday with Saturday as a backup. So depending on plans we'll either put in a quick appearance on the way down or you'll see at least me weather allowing.
-=-
Mark

IT'S A GO !!

Here is the San Antonio forecast (realizing it is only 1/2 the trip for the attendees):

Friday Partly Cloudy 79/56 20% rain winds SSW at 6 mph
Saturday Mostly Sunny 78/54 20% WSW at 14 mph
Sunday Sunny/windy 71/44 0% NW 23 mph

My apologies to all of those buried in snow up north :D

Fly safe my friends and (as always) no pressure to attend if the weather deteriorates or other issues arise. More food for me!

I will be at the hangar ready to flag you in starting at 11:30 am, and lunch off-the-grill starts at noon. I figure we'll be swapping stories for two or three hours, so take your time. Post here on this thread if you have any travel updates for me. Look for that Texas canopy at my blue hangar, about 700 feet from the south end of the runway. Normal runway in use is 17. Left traffic.

Attachments

• 8T8 looking southa.jpg
    8T8 looking southa.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 8T8 looking northa.jpg
    8T8 looking northa.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2145a.jpg
    IMG_2145a.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 19
We're still on track to come Saturday - just got the battery back in the airplane after a week on the BatteryMinder.

For everyone else the forecast is looking pretty good - the rain is pretty much gone from the forecast. My only question is how is the off runway turf doing after all the rain earlier in the week? Here in Austin East of 35 it will need a week of sun or 2-3 windy days until we can even walk on the "Houston Black Clay" that passes for topsoil here until the turf has a few years to thicken in.
-=-
Mark

Turf parking in front of my hangar is looking good - - - it drains well. I went out and stomped on it yesterday and couldn't make a divot. By Saturday we should be back to fairway quality. But leave your golf clubs at home .....

Houston is looking like thunderstorms :-(

...but if we can slip in & out then we will still be there!

DD

I am seven miles from the coast and it's almost 10 a.m. And still 400 ft and 2 miles due to fog and mist! We shall see tomorrow!

Arturo

Last edited:
Set up this afternoon - - just add BBQ smoke and airplanes for tomorrow. Hoping for some airplane drivers to arrive .... if your weather allows. I will be there, starting at 11:15 AM.

Here is what you look for at the airport - - (photos). Be safe!

Attachments

• IMG_3595a_1.jpg
    IMG_3595a_1.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3596a_1.jpg
    IMG_3596a_1.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 15
If it is safe We will be there with God's help!

Today here along the SE Texas coast area never became VFR: Most of the day was IFR and improved to MVFR around 1 pm with only 1200 Ovcst and 4 miles in mist for a couple of hours and went IFR again For the rest of the day, night and morning !

We shall see,

Arturo

Back