Beeches, Pieces, and Peaches - FLY-IN - Jan. 21, 2017 - San Antonio, TX - 8T8

Was up tonight to make short run to Taylor for cheap gas and get current and night current. Beautiful night - not a smidge of wind and pretty clear other than towards Houston. We'll shoot to be there before noon unless weather is a factor.

BTW - fog over early morning according nto the KSAT TAF:

FM211000 20003KT 1/2SM FG BKN003

but the TAF has good news after 10a local time:

FM211600 24013KT P6SM BKN250

-=-
Mark

Last edited:
Nelson,

It is hard IFR here now at 100 ft and 1/2 mile in fog! It extends all the way to KSAT 150 NM away!

If IFR conditions were not so low I could take off on IFR plan but then I will have a problem when I get to SAN Geronimo....I could not land safely and legally.....your airport has no Published IAP's. It is expected to improve later (???). This is typical for the Texas Coast from November through March.

Stay tune for next update.

Arturo

Last edited:
yeah - fog lifting in 1-2 hours here, and then 37 knots wind on the way there... think I will call it for today :-(

Unfortunately, it looks like the en-route weather will keep me from making the journey today.
Sorry Nelson...hope someone comes out to help you with all that food!
Was looking forward to it!

Todd

Nelson,

Last Weather check five minutes ago still not good...I am forced to cancel my trip this time!

Thanks my friend...hope there is another chance in the future!

Arturo

It's transitioning to VFR in Austin and it looks like KSAT is almost VFR and moving in the right direction - we'll be headed for the airport shortly.
-=-
Mark

No joy yet - we're back to overcast at 600. Conditions on the way down are similarly spotty - San Marcos is showing broken at 1100 and visibility 4 miles. New Braunfels is a bit better and KSAT is back to non-VFR - OVC 1000 and six miles in mist. The sun should win it's just taking time. We'll keep watching and head to the airport in 15-20 and at least clean the windows. If it works our wheels up time is probably now more like 1130 and there's a pretty good Southwesterly headwind so we're flight planning at an hour. If we can't get wheels up by 1215 or so we'll probably scratch.
-=-
Mark

We're going to scratch. The overcast just isn't breaking up and the forecast has been updated to nasty crosswinds for the afternoon - 12G22 at KSAT and a straight 17 at 240 at KAUS - that's about a straight crosswind at KEDC.

Sorry Trumpet, we'll be game next time.
-=-
Mark

Thanks to all for updates. No airplanes, but plenty of airport neighbors ! Good calls on weather, but it is sunny for me here. There is always next time. 😊

For all of you that made the tough call to stay on ground - - excellent! While I missed having you as an arrival for the BBQ, there was no stress about the weather or forecast. By the way - - my sailboat usually stays on the trailer when there are white caps on the lake! Yep, we do this for fun, my friends.

My airport neighbors and I had a great lunch. The weather in San Antonio was excellent and sunny, and there is always something special about sharing BBQ on a lawn chair while watching the runway activity on a cool Texas afternoon. And swapping stories (of course!). Thanks to all of the BAC membership who put this on their calendar. We'll schedule another BBQ when (hopefully) I am flying again.

Next scheduled event for SOUTH CENTRAL is late April / early May - - - on the Texas / Oklahoma border. Lunch and windsurfing lessons on Lake Texohma (Cedar Mills - - 3T0 ). Date to be announced.

Keep smiling! :)

Back