BAC*Lite 2023 - April 21st to 23rd, 2023 weekend - KMPJ - Arkansas

Hate Penny and I will not be able to make it.  We had a great time last year and enjoyed meeting a few of our fellow BACers.  Here is hoping to make next year!

Hey Everyone!  You can reach me at 810-618-2941.  We plan to fly into KMPJ and will stay 21-23 April. I look forward to seeing everyone in person.  I'll be the adult with three small tornadoes.  :)

If weather doesn't hold out, I'll audible to a minivan.

Jody

Unfortunately I have to bow out. We got invited on a Costa Rica trip that we cannot pass up which conflicts with this event.

Please take and share lots of pics!

Nelson we were hoping to be able to make this one.  Alas the engine "may" be done on the 21st...  Hope you have another great event!

UPDATE - - 12 DAYS TO GO !!

• We have 5 airplanes and 15 persons planning to attend (list below)
  • AIRPLANE PARKING - - - all pilots should be able to use the cable tie-downs at the airport. The north end parking location is best (room for four planes), but the south end parking will also work (room for six planes).  Plan to push your plane back after shut-down and cozy up (reasonably) to your neighbor’s wingtip.  Those on the ends should extend their wings as much as practical over the ends of the cables.  BRING YOUR OWN TIE-DOWNS AND ANCHORS.  If non-BAC planes are there, let’s be very courteous (of course).  Gate code is 1229#.  NO FUEL ON-SITE.
  • BEFORE DEPARTING ON YOUR LAST FLIGHT SEGMENT, please text me (210-834-1991) your estimated arrival time. This year I am renting a standard mini-van to save some $$.  Last year the 15 passenger van was a little large vs. needs.  About a 5 minute drive to the Lodge.
  • Our schedule of events:
    • Thursday afternoon – Nelson arrives on-site with van. Hospitality Cabin #0.
    • Friday – multiple arrivals at airport and check-in. Drinks and light snacks at Cabin #0 throughout the day.  Bring your favorite “beverage” to share.
    • Friday – BAC social hour 4 to 6 pm, Cabin #0, peanuts and chips, BYOB. We may decide to try the restaurant.  Or BBQ grill at Cabin.
    • Saturday – 8 to 9 am coffee  and breakfast at Cabin #0
    • Saturday – 1:30 pm group hike and/or car museum tour (weather dependent), or not.
    • Saturday – 4:00 pm BAC social at Cabin #0
    • Saturday – 4:30 pm meet at Lodge for supper (our “big event”)
    • Sunday – 8:00 am (or earlier) optional goodbye coffee at Cabin #0, departure rides to airport as needed.
    • Monday – Nelson departs with van if weather holds us over an extra day
  • You can help - - bring your own coffee mug / beverage container; bring a pot-luck snack.
  • Limited food options at Lodge. Consider packing whatever works best for you.  Our Cabin #0 has a full kitchen and dining table for our use.  Feel free to make a meal if the selection available at the Lodge doesn’t meet your needs.
Memberplusto KMPJto KLITdrivingarrivedepartcomments

Nelson Amen   BAC VAN20-Apr24-Apr210-834-1991    landing KSUZ

Jay LeitnerAmyX  21-Apr23-Apr618-920-1657

John Campbell X     

Alan WhitePaul GainsbackX  21-Apr23-Apr540-294-2374 Taylorcraft and a Funk

Curt LindauerJane BroecklingX  21-Apr23-Apr217-414-7382

Jody RobertsonOriana + 3 kids     810-618-2941

Dean SikesDohnaeX  21-Apr23-Apr870-543-0261   Sierra
I have attached my "recon trip notes" for your info (from 2 years ago)

Recon-Exec-Summary-BAC-Lite-2022.docx

CORRECTION (after simply reviewing the forum thread):

Paul and John are not attending.  So now it is:   4 planes and 13 persons.

ADDITION:  I plan to pack my bicycle since there are many trails to explore.  You may consider doing this as well.

Nelson Amen

210-834-1991

Nelson,

Amy and I will be arriving on Friday. Not sure what time yet but we wont be more than an hour away... Please let us know if we can bring anything besides your recommendations, we will have plenty of space and payload.

See you soon!

Jay

Penny and I are disappointed we will not be able to meet up with you guys this year. Nothing short of a company paid trip to Scotland would keep us away!

Hope y’all have a fantastic time and look forward to 2024. 

anthblake said
Penny and I are disappointed we will not be able to meet up with you guys this year. Nothing short of a company paid trip to Scotland would keep us away!

Hope y’all have a fantastic time and look forward to 2024. 

Congrats on the Scotland trip! Same situation for us, I've been looking forward to this for months but a free mini-mansion in Costa Rica is a bit of a chance in a lifetime.

Good morning BAC family!

Unfortunately, the Family and I will have to bow out as well.   The airplane is still in the shop and there’s a good chance it will need to be picked up on the weekend of this event. We have two work trips (not as nice as Scotland or Costa Rica :) ) that are presenting some additional challenges. 

I really look forward to meeting everyone in person at a future event!

-Nelson - I’m trying to come up with a game plan for the window panel we talked about. 

cheers

Jody

I have made it to west TN. Hope weather allows me to make it in. Worse case scenario is I get there Saturday 

Amy and I got into PLK yesterday evening and played at Silver Dollar City today. We will make the short 40 min flight down to MPJ tomorrow. We will be keeping an eye on Sundays weather for our return to RBD.

Now at the Mather Lodge this morning, awaiting arrivals.  Call or text for your friendly van driver (210-834-1991),   - - - - BEST to contact me prior to the departure of your last leg on the way to KMPJ with an estimated arrival time.

Departed San Antonio yesterday morning under solid cloud cover, and hit major thunderstorms for the last 80 miles into the park (driving van).  Arrived at 7:30 pm.  Rain was hard enough that at 30 mph you couldn't hear yourself think in the car.  Some in OK had to deal with the twisters, so I am not complaining at all. 

Some blue skies this morning as the frontal system is sweeping to the east.  Careful if coming in from that direction.  We'll keep the coffee hot and the lights on for ya.  No rush to get here, my friends.  Plenty of snacks and drinks in the hospitality room await your arrival.

Nelson Amen

A very rewarding hike yesterday followed by Alan's arrival just after noon (and making his way to this side of that huge frontal system).  Five of us were there to critique his landing ....

Great food last night at our "big event", followed by Alan hand propping this morning (movie to follow) for an early morning departure in his Taylorcraft.  Sweet.

Down to three of us at the table this morning, and I head home to San Antonio early Monday.  Weather here has been beee...uuu...tiffff...full!

Photos and movies will be downloaded and added to this thread after I get to my home computer.

trumpetIMG_0545-2.JPG

Back