BAC*Lite 2023 - April 21st to 23rd, 2023 weekend - KMPJ - Arkansas

trumpet nelson

Around The Moon
To All BAC Members,

Our 2023 BAC*Lite event will be held the weekend of April 21, 2023 at the Petit Jean State Park located in Arkansas. Mark those dates on your calendar! (simple!)

For those choosing to fly-in their aircraft, KMPJ will be our selected airport. BAC will provide a shuttle van.

Our gathering’s only scheduled “event” will be the Saturday evening meal, hosted by our Beech Aero Club. However, just like last time, there will be a Hospitality Room (Cabin 0) for lite breakfast, drinks, snacks and swapping stories. And we will be enjoying local hiking trails and facilities. Arrangements are being structured to accommodate arrivals on Friday and departures on Sunday. Your host will have Cabin 0 from Thursday to Monday, if you wish to extend your stay a little.

Read the April 2022 event postings and attachments for information (updates to follow). Rooms at the Mather Lodge are still under $100 per night. I suggest you call at your earliest convenience to reserve a room or a cabin (501-727-5431 for the reservation desk)

If possible, please complete the following by December 12th as it will help bunches with my planning and logistics:

IF YOU PLAN TO ATTEND – – send me an email ( nelson.p.amen@gmail.com ) with “BAC*Lite 2023” in the topic line. With .....  your planned dates of arrival and departure, number of persons, and your best guess at your means of travel (driving, BAC aircraft, commercial flight/airport).

Thanks,

(trumpet) Nelson Amen
Sept. 26, 2022

San Antonio, Texas

210-834-1991

P.S. - - (please see the April 2022 BAC*Lite event postings for the attachments and lots of info)  We had a great time.

Going to do my best to attend this, Sounds great, if all goes as scheduled, will be flying in. Looking forward to it. The Facilities really look Great!

UPDATE #1

All,

I have listed all of the responding pilots below.  Currently we have an attendance of 10 persons and 6 aircraft.  Read my first post below for all needed info ....  and feel free to post any questions here.  I am hoping to firm up our head count by my requested December 12th date (ok ... a soft deadline, but it helps me plan).

Most importantly, if someone decides to attend by flying into Little Rock commercially, and ... you are ok being a van driver, BAC will pony up the cost of the rental.  This way we get a van to use at BAC*Lite and you get a vehicle to and from Little Rock.  Simple.

Hoping to see more responses,

Nelson Amen  210-834-1991

BAC*Lite 2023 Attendee List   

Memberplusto KMPJto KLITdrivingarrivedepartcomments

Nelson AmenSheila  VAN20-Apr24-Apr210-834-1991    landing KSUZ

Jay LeitnerAmyX  21-Apr23-Apr618-920-1657

Anthony BlakePennyX  21-Apr23-Apr903-522-0128  short flight

John Campbell X     

Alan White X    Taylorcraft or Sundowner

Kevin EatonXX  20-Apr23-Apr520-818-8459 C-172 or drive RV

I discovered this place during a fly-camping (flamping?) locations search I was conducting. I'd love to fly my Sierra in with the kiddos and camp out. This gives an excuse to do so. Any tips on how to approach getting from the airport to the campsites? Cabin recommended? I was thinking bringing a tent and whatnot but it may be simpler to just rent a cabin. Has anyone stayed there before? Decent accommodations?

Petit Jean is a great state park! I grew up not far from there and really enjoyed visiting the park and hiking the trails. Also did my flight training out of LIT so always liked to pop over to KMPJ for a touch and go or two. Taking off from runway 3 and then having the mountain drop off below and then following the Arkansas River is a great memory. Not really a camping person myself so can't speak to that aspect, but as mentioned there are a few options in terms of staying at the lodge vs camping in the camp ground or staying in one of the cabins. I had friends that stayed in the cabins a few times and they really enjoyed it but that was years ago so not sure what it's like as much now. It's a decent sized state park so it would be tough to walk to the different trails or to the lodge/cabins from the airport so a shuttle will be a big asset. If you're looking for a fuel stop nearby coming or going, check out KCXW (have to plug the airport in the town I grew up in). It was built within the last 10 years after they closed the downtown airport and is a short hop from Petit Jean. Wish I could attend! I'm sure it'll be a great time for you all and hope you enjoy the park as much as I have! 

Patrick and Taylor,

Many thanks for your interest and comments.  Please read my #1 post below and ..... also review the information from our two posted threads made for the 2022 BAC*Lite event earlier this year.  Lots of good info there ... and a long read!

Rooms at the lodge are still under $100 per night.  The rooms at the Lodge are nice.  See the photos I posted with my write-up last year.  The Lodge itself is super nice.  There was a 2 night minimum in place last time I checked, and they do not give out refunds if you decide to leave early.

Overall - - we had a GREAT time and look forward to doing it again.  I have reserved Cabin #0 as our hospitality room ... again.  It worked out very well last time.

Feel free to call if you have any more questions, or ....  post them here!

Nelson Amen (trumpet)

210-834-1991

Nelson,

Amy and I stayed in a Lodge room last year.  I would describe them as rustic and cozy (wood paneling, a bit dated, small) but they were very clean.  Your cabin (#0) was of much better size, we were able to have 10 to 12 of us just there in the living room without any concerns for space.  There was also the front porch and even a back yard/porch.  

This year we went with a duplex cabin for more room and a better view.  I'll let you know how this compares after our trip :)

Overall we can't wait to come back!  We had a great time and the company is always great.  Thanks for hosting Nelson!!

UPDATE #2 - - BAC*LITE 2023

Only 15 weeks to go!  The current estimate is about 20 persons and 8 aircraft.  This will be a fun!  If we have room in our plane, I will plan to pack our bikes.  Not a requirement as there are plenty of hiking trails for us to choose (or I might just stay back and eat cookies in the cabin ....).

One item for the team:

• once again, I am looking for a "communication czar" participant who can eventually create a BAC*Lite group text for the attendees.  They will need to volunteer to help out during the first week of April by forming this group to allow us to communicate hiking, arrival, meals, whatever plans on-site.  It worked well last year, but this is beyond my capabilities as a flip phone owner. 
Below are the planned attendees who have responded to-date.  And yes .... I most likely will be there to capture your arrival movie at the airport, once again!  So ....  smile.

trumpet nelson

BAC*Lite 2023 Attendee List   

Nelson AmenSheila  BAC VAN20-Apr24-Apr210-834-1991    landing KSUZ

Anthony BlakePennyX  21-Apr23-Apr903-522-0128  short flight

John Campbell X     

Alan White X  21-Apr23-Apr540-294-2374 Taylorcraft or Sundowner

Michael DunlevieAnneX  21-Apr23-Apr970-376-0884  might be a glider …..

Curt LindauerJane BroecklingX  21-Apr23-Apr217-414-7382

Jody RobertsonOriana + 3 kids      

Trumpet_Nelson said

And yes .... I most likely will be there to capture your arrival movie at the airport, once again!  So ....  smile.
Great.... looking forward to it.  I'll have to come in under the cover of darkness.

Does anyone who's coming to this have a drone that takes good photos?
It appears to be a great place to bring one. 

Be sure and check with the park before bringing a done......Some parks prohibit the use of drones in the park. Just say'n

huh, never heard that before but does make sense and a quick check shows that they do require written permission in all Arkansas state parks. Thanks for sharing. 

The first line on the form indicates that you have to have liability insurance on the drone.

UPDATE #3 – – BAC*LITE 2023

Only 45 more days to go !!  I will be there .... even if I need to drive from San Antonio!

We are currently at   (+/-)   22 persons and 8 aircraft.   I will be the van driver so text me (210-834-1991) during your departure of your final leg into KMPJ with your arrival time so I am able to meet you at the airport.  Simple.   Don't forget - - no aircraft fuel available at KMPJ, and bring your own tie-downs.  If the weather is marginal, don't try it.  The surroundings are those rolling hills in AR, with radio antennas.  Nuff said.

My plans are to arrive Thursday (April 20th) with the rental van, and I will be renting Cabin #0 which doubles as our hospitality room, once again.

Just like last year, our major "event" will be supper on Saturday evening at about 4:30 pm (to beat the crowd) at the Lodge, paid for by our very own BAC.  I will also have a "lite" breakfast each morning at the cabin.  If you have a favorite "beverage" or snack to share, please bring that along and we'll all tell some great airplane stories, I am sure.  Might also plan a few activities on-site .... or not.  Let's just see what the weather is like and how adventurous we feel.  I will plan to publish a daily suggested schedule in a few weeks.

Bring a book, relax, and  - - - keep it "LITE"  !!

Nelson Amen (trumpet nelson)

Nelson AmenSheila  BAC VAN20-Apr24-Apr210-834-1991    landing KSUZ

John Campbell X     

Alan WhitePaul GainsbackX  21-Apr23-Apr540-294-2374 Taylorcraft and a Funk

Michael DunlevieAnneX  21-Apr23-Apr970-376-0884  might need glider tow …..

Curt LindauerJane BroecklingX  21-Apr23-Apr217-414-7382

Jody RobertsonOriana + 3 kids      

Jeff WintersXX  21-Apr23-Apr316-516-5415  might also bring dog

Dean SikesDohnaeX  21-Apr23-Apr870-543-0261   Sierra

Back