Western Tour - October 2015

I agree with Michael, a trip to Lake County Apt (KLXV) Leadville, CO is well worth the trip if only to get the certificate for landing at the highest public airport in the states 9934'. If you all are considering starting before BACFest think about coming to my home airport KFLY (MeadowLake) on the weekend before BACFest (Sep 26). KFLY is just 10 miles northeast of Colorado Springs (KCOS) and the AOPA regional fly-in is at KCOS that weekend. KFLY is just outside the outer ring of the KCOS class C airspace. If there is interest I will sponsor a BAC fly-in at KFLY and provide ground transport to the AOPA activities at KCOS. Lots to do and see in the Colorado Springs area. We could then do a group arrival at BACFest!

I'm based in the Puget Sound (Renton), so I might join you guys for some sightseeing on the way back. The challenge for me is that I have to plan my vacation time wisely (lucky for you guys that are retired). Between Oshkosh and BACfest, I *should* be able to squeeze in a few extra days on the return trip if nothing unexpected happens.

I'm thinking of joining y'all on this adventurous trip as this year may be the best with gas prices as low as we're likely to see for awhile. Also, for personal reasons I should consider doing something like this while I'm able. Has anyone put together a preliminary plan, and estimated the time frames?
I think I'd prefer to end at BACfest, but I really don't know enough about western weather to say which is best. I can take cold weather camping down to about 25 deg if I have to for part of the trip, but I wouldn't want to have to endure that much cold WX the entire time! :) :), getting more cold natured as I age even though I'm only 63!

Much below freezing sucks! I'd prefer going prior to BACFest as well, because of the weather. The only downside is we have a hard date for the end of the trip. There is no hard and fast plan and may not be as the weather is always a factor. I'm retired, so I'm flexible on the time frame.

If I take my Sundowner I'd like to pick up as many states West of the Rockies as I can as I probably won't get that far west again.

Looking at my states visited map, we need to schedule an Eastern tour for 2016! It should be time for BACFest to be held back east next year.

Hey Corcoran, how about an international BACFest on PEI next year?

I'm interested. I would like to pick up Utah and Arizona. I am interested in seeing the Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. I only have 4-5 days available before BACFest but 10 days afterwards. So, after BACFest would work best for me. I would tag along for only part of the trip and then head home. Marty, I have spoken to Bob a few times about my interest in the trip. Any idea which way you are leaning?

I was hoping to go after BAC Fest. I have the Reno Air Races 16-20 September and my annual expires the end of September. So I only have 10 days to get that done before BAC Fest. The initial idea was to fly to S.D. and see Rushmore and Crazy Horse, then depart for the N.W. states, fly down to California then over to Nevada, Utah and down to Arizona where I'd get off. I can't see how I can do it any other way. The cold don't matter much to me, I'm installing a fireplace in my tent.

Looking at the fall schedule, it is probable I'll get the Sierra annualed between Reno and BAC Fest. However, as I'm on a fixed income, the annual cost could eat into my traveling money. I'm pretty sure an extended Western Tour (all States) won't happen for me unless I find someone to share flying and expenses. If that don't happen, I'll go commercial to BAC Fest. So if there is someone out there that wants to participate in this adventure, let me know. If you don't qualify as an un-name insured, I can put you on the policy.

If all goes well, I'd like to fly to Rapid City (RAP) and Remain Over Night (RON) to see Mt. Rushmore. Not much to see yet at Crazy Horse monument. If there are Sundowner and Sports with our group, we can fly to Rock Springs (RKS) via Casper (CPR) and not have to get too high. From there it's not too bad to get to the Snake River valley and into Boise (BOI), or some place before. A quick trip up to Walla Walla (ALW) for a load of onions and turn back down to the Bend or maybe Sun River. From there down to CA, Redding (RDD)or Susanville (SVE) then on to Elko (EKO). The next day Wendover (ENV) and fly past the SLC class B to pick up V-134 to Price (PUC) and on into Moab (CNY) and checkout Canyon Lands and Arches National Monuments. From there, I'd head home, but the rest can go on to Farmington (FMN) on to Taos (SKX) and turn North toward Alamosa (ALS) and pick up V-210 to cross the mountains at a low point. From there it's down hill back to home. This is a preliminary route, I'm open to suggestions as to route and places to stay. The idea will be to camp most of the time. Invariably there may not be any place near the end of a day of flying to do so. So, three will be some hotel/motel expenses too.

So, if you have the time, and are interested in flying with me or Bob Schmidt, let us know. If you'd like to fly your own airplane and want to come along, you are all welcome to do so. The weather is historically good in the West in October, but there can be some weather considerations. Seldom are there big systems, mostly local stuff.

Last edited:
I was hoping to go after BAC Fest. I have the Reno Air Races 16-20 September and my annual expires the end of September. So I only have 10 days to get that done before BAC Fest. The initial idea was to fly to S.D. and see Rushmore and Crazy Horse, then depart for the N.W. states, fly down to California then over to Nevada, Utah and down to Arizona where I'd get off. I can't see how I can do it any other way. The cold don't matter much to me, I'm installing a fireplace in my tent.

Marty,

Mary and I have been kicking around the same idea. Depart BAC Fest Sunday and head to KRAP, spend a few days (in hotels) then saddle up for home. We figured we would be so close why not knock it out. I have been re-reading Bo's journal post about the last gathering of mice that made the fly by, it looked like a good time. http://www.bo-boggs-journal.com/JText/Chapter037.htm

Last edited:
It would be an honor to fly wing on ya Gary! Your are welcome to join us.

Likewise Marty....We sure would like to follow the rest of that west coast tour but not sure the flying budget can handle that. We'll be just back from a week at Jekyll Island in September for my Brides birthday, I'll have to build up the flying budget :cry:

Guys would your schedule allow you to give notice as to what airport you'll end up at each night ? If so, perhaps we could name those airports as BAC fly ins and some of us could join you for dinner (and maybe even buy).

Marty,
I will plan to join you in RAP for a day or two after the BACfest is over, flying my Sundowner. Then I will leave our merry little group and head to KANK to my Colorado home for a week or two. Looks to be some fairly short and simple flying days for me. Then my 7 hour trip to return home to San Antonio. ... eventually.

All,
My family has 3 homes in the small community of Monarch, CO which are typically empty that time of year. For a total of 12 bedrooms to accommodate any BAC members/families who may wish to stay a few days while I am there. My treat. Just let me know. You can find our homes by searching Amen River House. Links to all three homes are there. My home is on vrbo also with some more photos.

I keep a vehicle at the airport KANK, so I can pick you up if you want to save on a rental car. Simple.

Nelson

I'm hoping to go the BACfest, then on to RAP (Mount Rushmore et al), and maybe one other stop west of there with you, then I need to head back towards home in Georgia in my Sundowner. I'm thinking about going down to Houston area to visit friends on the way back. I only have a couple of weeks available (and flying budget) so I can't do the complete trip to the NW and down the coast.

Maybe we can go to RAP for a couple days and see the momument. If we can talk Nelson to join us there, we could follow him to ANK and enjoy a night or two with him in the cabins up in the Rockies. You could head East from there to Big Canoe (and Miss Gregory too). If the weather allows, the rest of us can pick our way though the passes to CNY and kinda reverse the suggested route.

Last edited:
More research on the "tour". Sun River doesn't actually have camping. However, Medford isn't too much farther. Rental cars are available and there must be camping near by. Crater Lake is an easy beautiful drive from Medford. Crater Lake is impressive! Must have been a blow of such magnitude that by comparison, Mt. St. Helen's was more like a fart in a whirlwind.

Not to hijack the thread but, I saw a video of Mt St Helens at eruption. The guy was 6 miles away. You can see a rock the size of a VW coming at him at a speed that was puckering. He made it ..barely

Not to hijack the thread but, I saw a video of Mt St Helens at eruption. The guy was 6 miles away. You can see a rock the size of a VW coming at him at a speed that was puckering. He made it ..barely

When Crater Lake blew, it probably tossed rocks that size a hundred miles. Ya gotta go see it!

Well, this thread isn't generating a lot of interest. Perhaps it's too ambitious for most. There is a lot of high country flying and many are not used to that. I think for some it may be just saying "I've flown there". Well, I've been to most of the states out here already. Maybe we should change it to a tour of the N.E. to see the fall colors? Or, maybe a fishing trip to the San Juan River in New Mexico. Or, we can put it off until December and do some ice fishing on Grand Traverse Bay, MI (that would be some interesting camping). It's a shame to waste one of the best months of flying (October) on a simple trip from Phoenix to Dubuque and back (I'll check Mt. Rushmore off my bucket list this trip anyway). Maybe someone has a better idea.

Marty and all,

I will plan to hit RAP with those adventurers for one or two nights after BACfest. Gotta see the mountain presidents.

My offer still stands for the Colorado cabins for any BAC members and family. You all just let me know if any are headed my way at KANK. An email message will work.

My bookend on the far dates is to leave Colorado on October 10th, so October 9th will be our last available night at the cabins.

All travel and plans completely weather dependent, of course. But I will keep in touch. Be flexible!

Nelson

Back