Western Tour - October 2015

mvanover

Headed to Andromeda
Bob Schmidt and I have been discussing a Western Tour after BAC Fest. The "Tour" will be a camping trip, although some hotel accommodations may be necessary. It will start at Dubuque, IA with a first day's destination of Rapid City, SD, or there about's. A few days there, rent a car and visit Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse and maybe Custer. Then on to Rock Springs WY, Somewhere UT, Someplace ID, and Wherever WA. Back down through Oregon, Nevada, California and over to Arizona where I get off. Bob will continue on to NM, CO and the flatland points back East to Wisconsin.

The details are not worked out as yet. Both of us are looking for someone to share the flight loads and expenses. As we are retired, the trip will take some time. Weather will also be a factor, but generally October is a great time to fly the Western states. Should anyone want to join us with their airplane, you are welcome to do so. We will be flying at Sundowner speeds, I think Bob generally sets up for 120 KTAS. The elevations enroute will be high, but I think can be done mostly at 10.5K with some time at 12.5 K. That should be easy enough for a Sundowner. A Sport or Mouse may have some difficulties. Skippers probably should stick to the flatlands.

Anyone wanting to accompany me should include airfare from Phoenix home. You can join me and fly to BAC Fest or jump on at Dubuque.

Great idea, Marty! I will have to get some "speed improvements" installed since my pokey-little-puppy Sundowner typically cruises at an indicated 2480 rpm and 120 MPH.

Hope to join in (and isn't retirement a blast!)?

Nelson

Great idea, Marty! I will have to get some "speed improvements" installed since my pokey-little-puppy Sundowner typically cruises at an indicated 2480 rpm and 120 MPH.

Nelson

That is not too bad for a Sundowner. I suspect you are a bit out of rig. 120 mph at 6500 ft on a ISA day is 133 mph TAS or just over 115 KTAS. Bob's Sundowner did 112 KTAS on the way to Fairbanks last summer and 119-120 KTAS on the way back. I think he's happy with his rigging now. There are really few "improvements" that help the fixed pitch prop airplane. Changing the pitch is probably the biggest, but to really gain the most, you do have to reduce drag. Can it be done? You bet. I recall that Rap's Mouse could make ~120 KTAS at 7500 ft, WOT and leaned to max rpm. That's not bad for a 160 hp airplane. With a little attention and some TLC you should be able to match or exceed that.

A three airplane formation would be awesome! And yes, retirement is sweet!

Isn't it kind of cold[emoji16][emoji16] starting in Oct!

I think it will depend on the October. Last October was great here in the West. After BAC Fest I flew to Cavanaugh Bay, just NW of Sandpoint, ID and camped one night. The evening was cool but I was snug and toasty in my tent and sleeping bag. I do have a liner for the sleeping bag in case it does get colder. A foam pad over the air mattress helps insulate you and keeps the cold air from the mattress from pulling your body heat through the sleeping bag. But typically October isn't all that cold in the West. Should the forecast call for cold weather there are the new catalytic heaters that can warm the tent quite rapidly. Usually getting out of a warm sleeping bag when you can see your breath, it doesn't make for a nice camping experience. These heaters have their own ignition. So just push the button and wait. It is not recommended to heat the tent through the night. The one pound (16 oz) propane bottle is good for about 14 hours on the 1500 BTU setting, so it should last through weeks of camping if you only use it to warm the tent prior to sleep and again in the morning. After you get up, there is the campfire.

I've tent camped in weather down to 30 degrees or so (think sleet, freezing rain all week), in the Boundary Waters with no heat other than a campfire. In a small tent, your body heat will warm the tent some, but it wasn't all that much fun. When we camped in Yellowstone in late August a couple of years ago, it got close to freezing at night, but warmed up during the day, so we will just have to see. We did see it snow in Glacier Park a week earlier on that trip, but that was up in the mountains.

I'm reviving this thread. Bob and I are still looking for partners to share the flying and expenses. We have a "maybe" with Nelson on making it a three airplane formation and I'm sure he would like some company too. Like this summer on the Alaskan trip, we alternated flying legs. It would be a good time for a fixed gear pilot to get some retract time with me. But, we will still be flying at fixed gear speeds. So, if you have the time and the wherewithal, come on and get on board to get familiar with flying Western style.

Marty,

Still on my list of planned trips. Hoping it happens ...... my tent is ready!

Put a dot on the map at Salida, CO (KANK). My 3 bedroom mountain cabin is available there for our intrepid group, regardless of my participation. My treat. And a good introduction to a high altitude runway for the team if you wish to go in that direction. Approaching and departing from the east side of the state (and mountains) is best.

Nelson

Nelson,

Very nice to offer the use of your mountain retreat. I'll check it out.

OK, I checked it out. Nice long paved runway. Over 7500' elevation, so probably plan for an early morning departure with reduced fuel load. Rental cars available and a couple of good reports on the service there. Another nice thing is, it's not far from Canyon Lands, a place on my bucket list. The Western Tour is starting to take shape. If we can get to Sandpoint, I have a niece there with two guest rooms. One big enough for two beds. I also have a friend in Port Angles, WA that retired as a B&B operator, she still lives in the house with 4 rooms available down stairs. Would make a good base to see the sights in the Puget Sound area. Weather can be an issue there, but I've never had to wait more than a month for it to clear enough to get out of there. By the way, the Seattle area and Puget Sound in general is a "Foodie Paradise". Especially if you like sea food.

So far it looks like this: Depart Dubuque for Rapid City and a couple days sightseeing (Rushmore, etc). Then on to Salida for some mountain flying experience. From Salida pop over to Moab and see Arches and Canyon Lands for a couple of days (pack hiking shoes). Maybe stop by SLC for lunch on the way to Boise or ?. From there to Sandpoint (or not) and then over to Port Angles. Down to Oregon, Nevada and swing over to California just to say we've been there. On to Arizona with all stops to be determined.

Bob and I have discussed moving this to late summer (before Reno Air Races) and starting in Arizona. Perhaps a more abbreviated trip. If I can still fly to BAC Fest, I can return via Rapid City and still see Rushmore and Crazy Horse.

Last edited:
I can't go on this extended trip, but for those of you who have never seen Arches & Canyon Lands National Parks, you will get a real treat. Been there. Done that. Would love to see it again. If you can make this trip, you will have a great experience.

Marty,

Earlier dates would work for me as well. You all set the calendar and then we'll see how it all dovetails.

My only take-off from Salida to date: 32 deg F, about 200 lbs under gross, about an 6 mph quartering tailwind, leaned to max power, clear morning skies, headed down the 2 percent grade, wheels off about 1/3 down the runway and above my climb target (85mph) before I was half way down the runway. Very sweet. Circled a few times to climb and then headed home, southeast over the ridge. Easy no-stress valley to follow all the way to Trinidad.

Happy to share my approach and departure tips when the time comes.

The family has 3 places up there in Monarch. Plenty of room for all fliers. Just google "Amen River House" (our family's web page) ... or look for Monarch, CO at vrbo (my individual listing).

Nelson

Attachments

• IMG_6370a_1.jpg
    IMG_6370a_1.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 15
I'm getting excited about this! Puget Sound sounds good to me (I'm a foodie and seafood is near the top of my list!). Canyon Lands is on my bucket list also. Depending on when/where we go,it's probably too late for Glacier and Yellowstone. Great camping at West Yellowstone Airport.

I can't offer a place to stay (except camping on the field), but if you all are going to Port Angeles anyway you should plan on a quick side trip to Orcas Island. It's about 40NM NNE of PA. and we have the best pizza joint north of Seattle. And I'll buy.

If you get to Salida you are only 43 miles from Leadville, the highest in the land (and easy to get to from Salida). A pilot "must". Dave Stevens has good knowledge of this area so check with him on routes, canyons, weather, performance, etc. Anyone near Eagle (KEGE) can use our hospitality, big empty house now that the boys are all away to college. Currently 100LL self serve is $4.95 here at Eagle.

Maybe if all goes right I can join in for a leg or two on this trip...

I can't offer a place to stay (except camping on the field), but if you all are going to Port Angeles anyway you should plan on a quick side trip to Orcas Island. It's about 40NM NNE of PA. and we have the best pizza joint north of Seattle. And I'll buy.

Jack, Orcas is first on the list after P.A. I forgot that my friends may not be in Port Angles. They are snowbirds and winter in Tucson. We may well be camping at Orcas. I'm not a fan of pizza, but I'm sure there will be food available I can eat.

I'm getting excited about this! Puget Sound sounds good to me (I'm a foodie and seafood is near the top of my list!). Canyon Lands is on my bucket list also. Depending on when/where we go,it's probably too late for Glacier and Yellowstone. Great camping at West Yellowstone Airport.

Bob,

If we go before BAC Fest, we might be able to get into West Yellowstone and Glacier. I could meet you in Rapid City and we go from there and end up at BAC Fest. From Puget sound, it's an easy flight to Sun River with maybe a stop at Hood River to see the museum. I think there is camping at Sunriver. If not, there is plenty of grass around the airport. Decent restaurant there too. I think one place we have to stop is Lake Tahoe. There are lots of campgrounds around the lake and some on the beach (we could have a Beech party?). Tahoe is pretty high, but by that time everyone will be seasoned mountain flyers. From Tahoe we could fly past Las Vegas and transit one of the VFR corridors over the Grand Canyon. There are several places to stop in Arizona. Flagstaff, Prescott, Sedona or Lake Havasu have courtesy cars and local camp grounds. St. Johns has the cheapest gas in the State, so a top off there is a must. I think if we plan right we could touch every State West of the Rockies plus a few East of the Rockies.

I'm going to have to get a job to finance this trip!

I've done both Glacier and Yellowstone, but I'd certainly do them again and if anyone else is in the trip that hasn't been to either, it would be a shame to miss them when we are so close. I'm sort of leaning to going before BACFest to have a better chance of warm weather. The down side is that we have a 'hard' end date for the trip. If I take the Sundowner, my objective is to nail all the western states, as I probably won't be able to do that trip again!

I understand about the job! Thankfully I still do a little consulting, which will help. 100LL being cheaper will also help! Remember, good financial planning is when the check to the undertaker bounces!

Back