THIS WEEKEND is BAC DAY

Right now the following (updated Monday pm) members have posted BAC Day flights:

lombard, wjknight, pwf, SkyPilot, Tibs, JOHNNYXRAY, CleoBen, ewoodcox, ZaSz, mbuddle, JoeKirby,
jharva, maxmason, sierra0th, sjcote, DF14w, ken, corcoran, cmmguy, tortugaboats, N6008L, Dredd, AVIATOR, Mdunlevie

FastFred made a report about crappy weather but he didn't say if he went to the airport and touched his plane (to qualify).

Last edited:
Leili took the Sierra up for a couple of circuits, while I rested my back in the hangar having just finished waxing it for her. (Now what's wrong with that picture?).

A quick flight only, Leili had to contend with nearby storms.

Peter
C-GTJS. // Sierra MC707

And here is the pic to prove it... before Leili got bugs all over the leading edge!

Attachments

• IMG_1593.jpg
    IMG_1593.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 65
22Aug2020-1350hrs. I'm sorry for being late posting this, but I did 3 quick take-offs/landings in the pattern at 0N4 before the NASCAR TFR over Dover, DE. Skipper BE-77.

Bob

I made it out on Sunday too, 1st short leg was to a DZ to see some skydivers land, then a flight over Syracuse to Utica NY for $3.39 gas....I hate to not buy from my home airport but this was $1.21 cheaper than home. :( Then onto home flying over our house. Should be under the same link as below.

Got out yesterday for a bit of practice, here is the flight out to KSDC for a few touch and goes.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N5090T/history/20200822/1643Z/KFZY/KSDC

Getting ready to head out with wifey to head out for a local area flight today.

SUNDAY
San Antonio to Dumas 3.9 hr
Dumas to Salida 2.5 hr
Typical 150 mi visibility in the mountains down to about 20 miles in smoke/haze. Smoke started about 30 miles NW of Dumas, TX. No horizon for about 2 hours. Interesting how I continue to want to turn right. DG and AH were my friends. Not too bad since I know the route well. Got the Sundowner up to 13,300 ft and still in the smoke. Geeeeeze.

First time parking in my new hangar at KANK. Very Sweet. Family got to see my arrival on airport web cam. That's my hangar on the lower left. Look for the old Chevy Blazer! http://www.airportview.net/wx/usa/co/kank/harriet/camera4/viewer.php

13.3?! That's impressive. I routinely get to 12.5 and 11.5. Both are painful climbs. Getting another 1000 must've taken a hot minute.

Eric,

My usual method on the trip into the mountains is to depart Dumas with 45 gallons and then climb at 105 mph. Might occasionally drop to 100 mph depending on updrafts/downdrafts, but I do not stop climbing until I clear the 8,500 ft ridge just before the Salida valley, about 10 minutes out from the airport. CHT's usually run 375, maybe 350. I lean for max power. An unintended 500 or even 1000 ft loss can happen in 2 or 3 minutes if the wind out of the west creates a rotor. Then .... I SLOWLY will get it back. Altitude in the bank is my friend. No tolerance on the AGL minimums I set for points along the route and I always keep a 180 return handy and available. Simple.

This last trip I logged 8.6 GPH during that 2.5 hour leg to KANK. It is not unusual to get under 9 GPH when at the higher altitudes. The 1976 Sundowner is a great plane. When I eventually get time in the 1956 bo, I will post comparisons. We'll see ....... (!)

My Sierra is definitely in poopsville above 10k. Not sure how you do it. I simply run out of patience to try to climb any higher. I did manage once to-get it up to 13.7k.

we flew on 8-23-20

We were up too on 8-23-20! I think I posted earlier but lost track of it. We faced 3 Sea Stallions when we opened our hangar door, they weree just there to have some Military Fun as it turned out. Ugly aircraft!
Lisa Miller

Attachments

• at KBXM on Sunday Aug 23 2020.jpg
    at KBXM on Sunday Aug 23 2020.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 33
Sorry for the late post, but Sundowner N23978 flew on BAC Day, 22AUG20! My son (age 10) and I flew from New Bedford, Mass. (KEWB) to Twin Mountain, NH (8B2), and camped out overnight at the adjacent Ammonoosuc Campground. Logged 2.1 hours in ForeFlight. Exciting ATC vectors around thunderstorms near Boston. Flew directly over the Boston Class B with an ADAPT deviation from the ADS-B mandate (I'm not equipped, yet).Twin Mountain Airport 23AUG20--getting ready to drive home--AOG--cropped.JPG
Picture from Twin Mountain Airport ramp. Friendly airport owner!

Attachments

• Twin Mountain Airport 23AUG20--getting ready to drive home--AOG.jpg
    Twin Mountain Airport 23AUG20--getting ready to drive home--AOG.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
The following (updated Tuesday 9/1/20 pm) members have posted BAC Day flights:

lombard, wjknight, pwf, SkyPilot, Tibs, JOHNNYXRAY, CleoBen, ewoodcox, ZaSz, mbuddle, JoeKirby, duknic,
jharva, maxmason, sierra0th, sjcote, DF14w, ken, corcoran, cmmguy, tortugaboats, N6008L, Dredd, AVIATOR, Mdunlevie, Chopperbob, trumpet nelson, lisany, abonney

Tom Corcoran

Note: The after-deadline notifications came from the Northeast Region. Lisa and Andrew's flights make me look good. So...

Back