Skyline Restaurant - Portsmouth, OH (KPMH) - Saturday November 26, 2022

AVIATOR_

Flight Levels
Fly or drive to the Greater Portsmouth Regional Airport (KPMH) and join us at the Skyline Restaurant located on the field for lunch at 11:00am EST. Joe Kirby will host the event. Don’t miss this one. This has been a fun event for many years now. In years past that jolly old elf St. Nick would arrive at 11:00am. Unfortunately, Santa has not made it the past two years. I have called the restaurant and I don’t have a confirmation either way at this time. I will update once I know for sure but come any way. Look at Skyline’s Facebook page, photos. And you will see one or our fly-ins with Brad Mitchell sitting on Santa’s lap. See the second link below.  I hope to see you there.

Skyline Family Restaurant Inc. | Portsmouth OH | Facebook

Facebook

We have some ground fog this morning.  Forecast shows it may burn off by 9:00am.  I’m going to push back the fly-in to 12:00 noon EST.  If you are delaying your arrival due to the fog.  Text me your arrival time.  We will wait on you.  

Removed cell number.

Just FYI, Fog to the West of you is pretty bad... the STL area is covered and Commercial Jet traffic is not even departing (Below Minimums for Safe Return/Air Turn Back), Our dispatch is saying it may lift by 9AM

A little after 7 and the Fog is lifting... Still not legal to depart by Airline Standards, but they are lining up now, because it will not be much longer... Hopefully the same is happening to the east... good flight to everyone.

Both Indy Regional and Portsmouth had fog Saturday morning.  Both were reporting Visibility 1/4 - 1/2 sm, 200 Overcast and freezing fog.  Finally, by about 9:30am KMQJ went to 4 miles and clear below 12,000'.  Portsmouth was still reporting fog.  Decided to throttle back and hopefully it would clear by the time I arrived.  At 21" and 2400rpm I was still doing 128kts ground speed.  At 50nm out Portsmouth went to 7 miles and 200 scattered.  At 39nm 7 miles and clear.  I throttled up to 24" and went to 140kts ground speed.  Joe Kirby and his daughter Natalie were there to greet me.  Soon John Turchi arrived in his Sierra followed a little later by Rob Lyall and his wife Elida in his Sierra.  Santa did not make it again this year.  So many traditions and business have been negatively impacted by the shutdown.  We had three Sierras in all on the field with six attendees.  Discussions were lively.  Joe Kirby gave us an update on the electric bikes he bought.  Rob talked about Beaver Island (KSJX).  A great destination if you want dark skies for star gazing.  I will have to look more into it and bring my telescope. 

Light, Folding, Long Range & Step Through eBikes | Lectric eBikes

Stever Barlow won the East Central Regional Director's award for attending the most fly-ins from July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2022.  I was hoping Steve would fly in with Rob.  So, accepting in his behalf was Rob Lyall.  Rob and Steve are both partners in the Sierra. 

View attachment IMG_2063.JPG

John Turchi taxing in.

View attachment IMG_2056.JPG

Rob Lyall taxing in.

View attachment IMG_2058.JPG

Getting ready to eat.

View attachment IMG_2059.JPG

Three Sierras on the ramp.

View attachment IMG_2060.JPG

Pictured are Joe and Natalie Kirby, John Turchi, Elida and Rob Lyall.

View attachment IMG_2066.JPG

Back