Moonlite BBQ - Owensboro, KY (KOWB) - Saturday, November 10, 2012

bmitchell

Flight Levels
The barbecue buffet at Moonlite beckons BAC again. We've been doing this for several years and the number of attendees has ranged between 4 & 30, so I hope we're somewhere in-between this year. Plan to arrive by 11:30AM (Central time) and we'll call for the van to pick us up at 11:45. It's about a 5 minute ride to the restaurant. Park at Mid America Jet FBO which is located in the southeast corner of the airport. Easy to find, just east of runway 18-36. Any questions, just give me a call, 859-707-6039. Brad Mitchell

This is the only event that has ever tempted my wife, who is afraid to fly, to get into the plane. Seriously good BBQ and it would be a fun event to try and attend.

Current forecast for Saturday is partly cloudy, high of 68. Only 10% chance of rain, so we may actually have a decent day for the fly-in. Looking forward to a good crowd for BAC to BBQ!

If everything including weather is good i should be there. Plan on test flying the plane this evening maybe do some night landings to be night current again.

Hello Brad,
My instructor, daughter and I are planning on being there. I'm pretty excited, this will be my first flying I will be able to fly to. :-)

Comments on AOPA website says Mid American Jet FBO charges $20 parking regardless of how long you park and $6.25 - $6.70 for 100LL.

Multiple recommendations for Modern Jet Center and $4.48 - $5.69 for 100LL.

Any reason not to meet at Modern Jet Center?

Earlier this year when I was there, Mid America said they don't charge GA on the weekend. I'll be there by 11:15 tomorrow, and if I find out differently, I'll re-direct people. I'm not familiar with Modern Jet yet.

I just called Mid America Jet and spoke to a gentleman named Mark. He said there is a $20.00 Facility fee for GA regardless of what day of the week it is. I then called Modern Jet and spoke to Steve and he said they do not charge a fee at their FBO. Brad let us know if you find out anything different.

Last edited:
Well, sounds like Mid America has turned greedy on us, sooooo, Modern Jet is where we will meet. The FBO isn't officially open on Saturday, but they said someone should be there if we need assistance. Steve said they are located on the east side of the field up toward the control tower. He said ask the tower for directions. There's sufficient ramp space for us to park. See everyone tomorrow around 11:30 Central time.

From Google Earth, Modern Jet looks to be accessed via taxyway D (and possibly B) near the end of RW 23 (now called RW 24 according to NOTEMS). I'll have my Airport Diagram ready for this one! It does have an FBO marked very near the tower.

We had a nice turnout for Moonlite BBQ today. 13 people attended including Tim Vangundy, Selena Roberts, Bob Hansen, John Redmon, Nick Boland, Steven McFarland, Eddie & Jax Smith, Melvin, Hunter & Hayden Matherly, Buddy Kloss and Brad Mitchell.

Great turn-out, Brad! Maybe we should have BACFest there! Marty V. has a good event planned for this coming weekend. I hope we have as good a turn-out!

Well done and congratulations!

Back