Fly-in Alexander City, Alabama (KALX) on Saturday, November 18, 2023

bmitchell

Flight Levels
Having recently moved to Alabama from Kentucky, I wanted to host a fly-in and welcome BAC members to Sweet Home Alabama! After speaking with Rap McBurney, he graciously offered his assistance with a hangar at his home airport. Fly-in for lunch at the airport and the opportunity to share flying tales and the vast knowledge of Rap!

Lunch will be brought in so I’ll need a head count. Please either email or call me to confirm. Looking forward to seeing new and familiar faces on November 18.

Brad Mitchell

Email: bmitchell211@gmail.com

Phone: 859-707-6039

I'm going to try my best, combine that with other visits I want to make in the SE. fingers crossed.

Replies are coming in. Currently have 14 that have indicated their desire to attend. Lunch will be provided, courtesy of the club, and we'll plan to eat around Noon (Central Time).

Y'all start thinking about mx topics you want to discuss. I'll show you how to remove the horizontal filter with nearly zero mess.

Rap

Rap any time I apply full power I have to first make sure that I keep the prop control back a 1/4" to 1/2" back from full forward, because it will go over 2700 rpm if I don't. It has been this way since I bought the airplane in 2014 and the fellow I bought it from told me about it when I bought it. So I have always been very careful to do this and keep my rpm's below 2700, but it would be nice to not have to worry about it. Is this something that you might be able to adjust during your fly in event, or is this a big deal that should be saved for later?

Rap any time I apply full power I have to first make sure that I keep the prop control back a 1/4" to 1/2" back from full forward, because it will go over 2700 rpm if I don't. It has been this way since I bought the airplane in 2014 and the fellow I bought it from told me about it when I bought it. So I have always been very careful to do this and keep my rpm's below 2700, but it would be nice to not have to worry about it. Is this something that you might be able to adjust during your fly in event, or is this a big deal that should be saved for later?
It's a bit of an ordeal to access the adjustment lever, but we'll take a look at it unless someone comes up with an easier task. LOL

Gary,
I had a conversation with Mike R about this, and he gave me a few tips. One thing I remember was that he had set his govenor to permit 2780 on takeoff.

I posted this in another thread regarding hypothetical power”
”Yoda had his govenor set to allow 2780 during the takeoff roll if needed to improve his short field capabilities. That’s equivalent to 206 HyPotheticals.”

Since that's Yoda's old airplane, not surprised. And Mike probably read the SB 369S regarding overspeeds, as anything under 5% (2835) only requires a logbook entry if it exceeds momentary, 3 seconds or more. However that engine, and I suppose its accessories, were OHd some time ago and I would think the installer would have corrected the overspeed capability.

Here in Oz, a Timex overhaul involves the mandatory inclusion of all the accessories. Magnetos, Vac pump, Govenor, Alternator, Starter and Exhaust as a minimum. It seems that doesn’t always apply in the US.

And, yes, the installer should have adjusted the govenor to make specs.

Last edited:
I had the governor overhauled at the same time as the engine. I had to adjust the stop to get to 2700 rpm. That screw is in a tough spot, but once I figured out the right set of wrenches it is doable.

As Rap said, it’s a 2000h upper limit, but it’s also mandatory any time there is a prop strike.
Note, that. “Prop strike” has a technical definition of “any time the prop is sufficiently damaged as to require removal for repair”.

The same applies to the engine mounts as well.

Back