Fly-in Alexander City, Alabama (KALX) on Saturday, November 18, 2023

In addition to the aviation fellowship, there is 1 door prize already in the works, plus I may have a Sierra MLG donut compression tool that can be created for under $30. Demo at the fly in.

Rap

That sounds great.... No way to make that event as much as I would love to, could you share the details afterwards... Sounds like a great tool to have around for when you really need it.

That sounds great.... No way to make that event as much as I would love to, could you share the details afterwards... Sounds like a great tool to have around for when you really need it.
John, 2 things need to happen. #1 it has to work!! LOL and #2 it could cost the club some rental income and I want to run this by the BOD for their blessing before I publish anything.

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been diverted to other tasks. In late 2019 I decided that instead of overhauling my 40 year old engine that had 4500 hours on it and had be OHed twice before, I decided to purchased a zero time factory re-manufactured engine and had it installed. At the time of install my prop only had around 900 hours since overhaul so I decided not to add that expense to my invoice. So it seems that my prop governor is still set at the setting that Rellihan put it at years ago because if I push it full forward it goes up to around 2780. Do I understand correctly I can use up to 5% over the max rated RPM of 2700 with only a log book entry? If this is correct is there any reason for me to correct this issue? And if so how many seconds or minutes can I operate it at the higher RPM?

Since that's Yoda's old airplane, not surprised. And Mike probably read the SB 369S regarding overspeeds, as anything under 5% (2835) only requires a logbook entry if it exceeds momentary, 3 seconds or more. However that engine, and I suppose its accessories, were OHd some time ago and I would think the installer would have corrected the overspeed capability.
When I told the A&P/IA who installed my Factory Reman Engine about the prop going over he said something like "if it were me I would just leave it because you might need the extra power on a short field take off one day". So I took his advice and didn't change it when he installed my zero time engine.

Gary, the way I read the overspeed SB369 , if it is under 5% (2835) no action required. If it is 5% or over for more than 3 seconds (momentary per Lycoming) then you must enter the event in your engine log. That's it. I'll be happy to adjust for you, however someone who knew much more about these engines than me set up his (now yours) engine for the extra "just in case" event.

Sidebar: Bac in the day, the Skyhawk XP left the factory at 195hp. For $1500 you could get an STC to up the HP to 210. The stc says adjust the governor to 2800 rpm.

Rap,
I read it that all overspeeds are to be entered in the engine log (Corrective Actions, after Table 3), including those of <5%. But, I would rather be pinged for a missing log entry than picking tree branches out of the landing gear.

Curt and Jane are going to try and make it (weather permitting). We'll probably get a room and leave Sunday. Any recommendations for a motel?

Curt,
Try and get a booking at the Jacksons Gap Resort. (aka; The BAC Lakeview Retreat). The hospitality there is second to none!

Gary, the way I read the overspeed SB369 , if it is under 5% (2835) no action required. If it is 5% or over for more than 3 seconds (momentary per Lycoming) then you must enter the event in your engine log. That's it. I'll be happy to adjust for you, however someone who knew much more about these engines than me set up his (now yours) engine for the extra "just in case" event.

Sidebar: Bac in the day, the Skyhawk XP left the factory at 195hp. For $1500 you could get an STC to up the HP to 210. The stc says adjust the governor to 2800 rpm.

Boy, I wish that applied to Lycomings... I would be all over that.

IMG_2762.jpeg

Rap, I have researched my broken crankcase vent tube 169-190018-21 and not surprisingly, it isn't available new. (or at least my search hasn't located one) I am curious, what is the crimp in the lower section of the aluminum tube for? (that is where mine is broken off, ours is missing the piece below the crimp) Doesn't look like a big deal to fabricate.

Secondly: In my 1978 Sundowner that I flew for 20 plus years (N5159M) and now our 1982 Sierra (N61018) I use 7 quarts as full and really don't add oil at 6.5 quarts. The top quart disappears very quickly. The mechanics I have asked just say they blow out the top quart. What do you say and will an air oil separator potentially be a fix to run at full 8 quart capacity?

See you Saturday...
Richard Grimes

The crimp/notch is supposed to be high enough inside the engine compartment to vent in case the lower portion freezes over.

The 8 qt capacity is to match the 60 gallons of fuel duration at the allowed Lycoming loss rate, which I don't remember. Your mx is correct, anything over 6 qts on a mouse will be on the belly in an hour. Keep it at 6, and have an A&P fabricate the vent, or search the scrap yards. IIRC the sierra is different from the fixed gears. BTW, Lycoming minimum for operation is 2 quarts, NOT ME!!. 4 is my personal minimum.

Back