BAC to Alaska in 2010???

Kotzebue was one of my favorite places. Unfortunately, we didn't get to stay long - I'd love to go back. The Bering Air folks were great, offered advice, gave a tour of one of their aircraft, etc. One of the ladies behind terminal counter offered to go home and get some muktuk (whale blubber) for me to try!!!

The link to the AAA site and the equipment list can be linked to from the home page of my Alaska web site:

http://www.nuinet.dnsalias.com/alaska

alaska

i've been there alot.......do alot of hunting out of there, mainly carabou, but 2yrs ago got a 1400lb moose.......took for ever to dress.

Caribou - I've been to Alaska and Hudson Bay, but haven't yet seen a live Caribou. One of my disappointments is not having eaten a Caribou steak! The Cree in Hudson Bay raved about them, but had none for me to eat. Oh, well.

I just talked with Harry Cook at the AAA and got some disappointing news. The Logbook is sold out, and the new edition will probably not be available until early summer. It's really difficult to do any detailed planning without it, in my opinion. I did not see any listed on the internet, either.

I have my 2001 copy, which is the latest edition, and would be happy to share inf from it. Anyone else have one?

alaska

I will go over to the AAA when in Anchorage the end of the month and try and beg for one or check with my friends in AK and see if I can get one from them or one maybe on the shelf with one of the FBO's.

Re: alaska

FASTFRED said:
this might be helpful---http://www.sccaa.com/events/alaska.pdf

Good information there. It's a bit dated, but still very good. The Milepost publication is highly recommended by the AAA, especially if you going off the beaten track. We didn't have one, but would for the next trip, especially if the Logbook is still not available.

They obviously started from the west coast and so recommend going up the coast or taking the "Trench" to Watson Lake. Both those routes have more weather issues than the Alaska Highway, though, and probably out of the way for most of us.

Thanks for the link. Ordering my copy of the Milepost now. Started putting together the survival pack (a little at a time). Any non must have iteams recommended?

I've got a SPOT Personal Tracker that I think is worthwhile. Not only does it have a '911' button, it has an 'OK' and a 'help' button that will send emails or phone messages to your call list, but you can set it up so that people can track you in real time!

It sends a a message via satellite every ten minutes with your GPS location. That information is then sent to a personal web page that you can give out to interested parties.

There is some good information on SPOT, Alaska, and survival in this month's AOPA Pilot.

2010 Milepost doesn't go to print until March 1 st. You can pre order your copy now.FYI
Plan on purchasing the spot.
Also, Walmart is carrying the Orion brand 12 guage flare gun with 3 flares for $39.

Guys if you are going to buy a flair gun make sure you buy some bear bangers for it . But make sure you ask how to use it .

John R.

This trip planning has motivated me to go ahead and purchase some needed survival equipment. I purchased a SPOT locator(SPOT currently has a $50 rebate going on until March), wilderness emergency first aid kit, flare gun, survival blanket. Good start on Alaska supplies. Paul recommended a Fly fishing vest with emergancy supplies insde for emergencys. Working on this; planning matches, seat belt cutter,etc. what are some other supplies club members sure?Are we anycloser on nailing down some dates? Thanks

Re survival gear. I've converted the Logbook pages on this subject to a text file and will ask permission from the AAA to post it on my web site. I'll let you know if I can do it.

Now no one will check your gear, so it's up to you to decide what you really need. Remember, in Canada you will be within gliding distance of the Alaska Highway almost the entire route. I can't do that well flying in the Midwest! Also, you should always be flying with one other airplane, who can relay exact time and location if you have a problem. Chances are excellent you will be rescued within a few hours. The survival requirements are slanted toward airplanes flying alone into the bush where it may be days before you are found.

Re dates. I feel that Mid-June is a good time to go for a couple of reasons. First, the days are longest then so you have more freedom for daylight flying.

Second, Alaska gets crowded during the tourist season, and hopefully a June trip will beat the tourists. The AAA recommends getting hotel reservations well in advance if coming in the summer. I know we checked on hotels in Fairbanks and Anchorage for our 2005 trip and there was nothing available that was reasonable and near the airport. It's really hard to make advance reservations on a trip like this.

I did some really quick checking for both cities for June 21-23 of this year, and found some require non-refundable deposits, some are already fully booked, and prices are already getting expensive. Two star hotels were $150- $200 per night and better hotels will cost $250 on up. Summer prices are probably higher. The King Eider in Prudhoe Bay had rooms starting at $420 per night!

Hopefully most nights will be spent camping instead of in hotel rooms, but I suspect campsites will become crowded, too.

Guys, is it possible to put a link to your spot locator's on the BAC site? I would like to follow the flights.

Yes it is. Each user will get a URL he/she can post and anyone can follow the SPOT location near real time (about a 15 minute delay).

Maybe someone with a SPOT can post their URL for their next flight so we can see how it works. I'll do it if no one else does it first.

That week June 21st. is the earliest I could go (Work/baseball coaching obligations). But do what is best for the group.FYI

With many thanks to Harry Cook of the Alaska Airmen's Association, I have added the current draft on Survival Gear for the upcoming edition of the Logbook to my web site. This is not necessarily the final draft!

The web site again is www.nuinet.dnsalias.com/alaska

BTW, I talked with Harry about flare guns. He said he took a fly-in tour to see bears close-up and the guide carried a flare gun which he said he would use to scare a bear if if got too close. No mention of catching his fur on fire, though. Harry also carries a flare gun, but no weapon, in his airplane.

Hi Bob !
I'm going on that trip to the Yukon this summer and a guy by the name of John Dale emailed me . He used to have a guiding outfit that catered to the US planes going to Alaska, and his website is still up , and it has allot of info, I thought you might be interested in it . www.flynorth.com

John Radysh

OK, folks, sorry about the long absence, but I wasn't sure I would be able to make the trip, and didn't want to make plans and then back out. All looks good to go now, though, so lets get planning!

First, now that everyone has had a chance to really think about the trip, I need a list of interested parties.

I need to know:
your commitment level,
where you are based,
if you are planning to fly your airplane,
if you are looking for someone to partner with,
your available dates for the trip,
how long you can be away,
anything/place special you are interested in seeing.

My preference for the trip would be to start from Cut Bank, Montana, preferably June 12th. Second choice would be June 19th. this is all subject to change depending on the feedback I get.

Canadian Customs at Lethbridge is open seven days a week, from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM.

Back