BAC to Alaska in 2010???

Journal!

Thanks for taking the time to put it on the computer. I printed it off and enjoyed the reading. Can't wait!!!

It just occurred to me that the Arlington Fly-in will be the 7-11 of July. That would put me about half way to Alaska during that time. It is a more difficult flight up the west coast of Canada and Alaska due to the typical weather patterns and high terrain, but it can be done. Also, it may be possible to join up someplace on the ALCAN highway. I don't mind flying in the mountains, do it all the time. So, if this Alaska trip could be scheduled just after the Arlington fly-in, I could try to make it. Maybe someone else would too.

Marty Vanover
Phoenix, Az.

Marty,
If you really meant it when you said:

Maybe I could find someone else because I am done flying alone any great distance by myself!

I'd be honored to sit right seat with you (if the scheduling works out!).

Flare Gun

Marty, who was the guy who discovered that a flare gun would work? I wouldn't want that job.

I just talked with the folks at the Alaska Airmen's Association. It turns out they are out of the Logbook and are getting ready to send the next edition to the printer. I sent an email to the person in charge to see when they might be available. It appears due to the cost of printing, it will not be included with an AAA membership, but available separately.

I'll let you know as soon as I get any more information. You REALLY can't plan a trip to Alaska without it. There is just so much valuable information there to help in the planning and logistics of a trip like this.

I have a copy of the third edition (printed in 2001) and have just re-read it pretty much cover to cover (314 pages).

I heard about the flare gun from a guy at a gun show here in Phoenix. Apparently a fisherman in the inland passage beached his boat to fish from shore. He didn't know there was a bear near by and he was being stalked while he fished. He got back in the boat when the bear charged and the only thing there was the flare pistol. So he used it. I guess he was fortunate that it worked. Dunno if it's true, but that was the story I heard. I didn't buy this guys shotgun as he was too proud of it.

Marty Vanover
Phoenix, Az.

Flare Gun

Ok, it must be true. In my research for the Alaska trip. A flare gun $69. Serves 2 purposes, only weighs a couple of pounds, is legal in Canada (verses $50 permit to carry a shotgun that weights 8 to 15 lbs.). Cut Bank Montana 1400nm for me. looks like longest leg between fuel is about 400 nm is this right. That is a big stretch? What about Russia?

Russia...

First, chances are slim the weather will cooperate, insurance can be a real issue, the Russians are not bending over backwards to help, there is no fuel in Providenya (600NM round trip from Nome), all the flight parameters are in metric (meters above sea level, or meters AGL when near the airport), speed in kmph, etc. Plus youi must get an invitation for a visa, then a visa, then special permission to be in a sensitive area (near the US border), then get a 'number' from the TSA for re-entry into the USA.

See Below from the Alaska Airmans's Association website (some formatting issues)...

Russian ATS Route for General Aviation VFR
Operations between Alaska and Provideniya Bay, Russia

Russian Air Traffic Service (ATS) Route B-369 is now available for Visual
Flight Rules (VFR) flight by General Aviation aircraft.

A. Route Description.

Waypoint Latitude Longitude Track(magnetic degrees) DistanceNM (KM)
Provideniya Bay NDB 64° 22.7N 173° 14.6W 018° / 198° 53.1 (98)
Nalid 65° 08.2N 172° 13.0W 018° / 198° 24.9 (46)
Kadat 65° 30.0N 171° 43.2W 062° / 242° 18.6 (34)
Lavrentiya NDB 65° 35.0N 171° 00.8W 023° / 203° 20.1 (37)
Kilak 65° 51.0N 170° 31.0W 090° / 270° 39.2 (73)
Batni 65° 42.2N 168° 58.4W Wales, AK 22.2 (41)
Wales, AK 65° 37.4N 168° 06W Nome VORTAC 99.7 (185)
Nome VORTAC 64° 29.1N 165° 15.2W

Route Width: 10
kilometers

Authorized Minimum and Maximum
Route Altitudes: 1500-3000 meters

Route is available for operations 2100/0400 UTC Winter, 2000/0300 UTC
Summer except Saturday and Sunday. Consult Russian VFR Enroute Chart
YKD-11 and Russian Aeronautical Information Publication (AIP) Rules of the
Air and Air Traffic Services (RAC) 3-2.100.

B. Advanced flight permission
required.

Request for single flight permissions of foreign civil aircraft on B-369
must be submitted in accordance with procedures contained in the Russian AIP.

The request may be submitted in Russian or English and must be sent to both
the International Relations Department of Civil Aviation and to the Central
Department of Operational Services (CDOS) of Civil Aviation.The request must
be submitted from 0900 to 1800, (Moscow time) except Saturdays, Sundays, and
Russian Federation public holidays. The submission must be on form “N”, a
minimum of five (5) full working days in advance of the intended flight. It
is recommended that flight permission be requested at least 14 working days
in advance.

B-369 begins at the U.S./Russian border and is ENTIRELY within Russian
airspace.

Pilots need to be familiar with and comply with all Russian Laws and
Regulations while operating in Russian airspace including Customs,
Immigration, and Agriculture, etc.

A valid passport and Russian Visa is required.

Consult the Russian AIP for pertinent aeronautical flight information.

C. 4096 Code transponder required
for operation on B-369. Each person operating an aircraft into or out of the
United States on B-369 SHALL operate the transponder, including altitude
encoding equipment if installed, and SHALL reply on the appropriate code or
as assigned by Nome Flight Service Station (FSS). In addition, the aircraft
SHALL comply with the transponder on requirements and ADIZ penetration
procedures of
CFR part 99.

D . ICAO flight plan required. All
aircraft intending to operate on B-369 to or from the U.S. must file an ICAO
flight plan one (1) hour before intended departure. Aircraft departing the
U.S. must file the ICAO flight plan with Nome Alaska FSS. The estimated
border crossing time at BATNI and CDOS flight permission number must be
included in the Remarks section of the ICAO flight plan.

Flight planned cruising levels for VFR flight on B-369 SHALL be in meters
using QNH altimeter setting in accordance with Russian AIP.

E. Transportation Security
Administration (TSA) waiver required. In accordance with Special Notice
“Operations to/from Locations Outside the U.S.” issued as a domestic and
international NOTAM. A waiver must be obtained from TSA prior to
operations on B-369 to or from the U.S. Waiver application
must submitted at least seven (7) days in advance. Application form
and further information is available on the internet at
http://www.intl.faa.gov. Then
select: waiver process for flight operations.

F. Route Procedures – Aircraft
departing the U.S. will be assigned a discreet transponder code by Nome FSS
in accordance with Defense VFR (DVFR) procedures. Aircraft delayed
more than 20 minutes from their flight plan departure time must notify the
Nome FSS of the delay. Once airborne, if estimated border crossing
time at BATNI changes by more than 10 minutes, aircraft must notify Nome FSS
of their new BATNI estimate.

West bound aircraft from the U.S. must contact Lavrentiya Tower on freq
131.1for permission to cross the Russian border and altitude assignment 10
minutes prior to their estimated time over BATNI.

East bound aircraft bound for the U.S. SHALL request permission from
Lavrentiya Tower on freq 131.1 to contact Nome FSS over KADAT with their
estimated time over BATNI and request a discreet transponder code assignment
for U.S. border crossing.

G. Futher information can be
obtained from the Nome FSS 1-800-478-8400, FAA Alaskan Region, Flight
Standards division 907-271-5514, or at

Russia

What ever the group whats to do will be fine. I called my insurance and I am good to go(Alaska coverage)!!

Ed,

Come on, 400 nm is NOTHING in a Sierra. Even with 40 knots of headwind those four hours will pass quicker than a fart in an whirlwind when your having fun. My average legs are 500+ nm with one leg during my Bahama trip 1015 nm. (6 hr 36 minutes) and I only burned 43 gallons to boot. Only reason I landed was to ask directions and empty the H.E.R.E. (Human Element Range Extender). The Alaska trip up the ALCAN route is a piece of cake. Of course, I may take an alternate route do to my unique location, but you'd have a blast getting there. 1400 nm. is a good day of flying. Only one fuel stop normally. Ya gotta start thinking BIG and get this one checked off the bucket list.

Marty Vanover
Phoenix, Az.

Range

Marty, I AM going! Just not big on stretching fuel out over Canda ( Like over the ocean in the Bahamas). So, does this mean you are in? Ordering my flare gun this week.

P.S. I made Ft. Pierce to Crossville, Tn to drop my aunt with 1 fuel stop. making 87 knot ground the WHOLE WAY.

I get 277.8nm each way, and remember if you do run out of fuel, the Bering Sea is mighty cold! As David said when we were hoping to try it, "I'm just gonna wear a life jacket so my wife will have a body if something goes wrong!"

Ed,

Flyin' back to Ft. Pierce from the Bahamas with 19 gallons on board left me plenty of reserve fuel to get to my alternate, Vero Beach. Either you get KLUXed or I'll have to "tweek" that Sierra before the trip. You shuda seen at least 91 knots all the way to Crossville! I left after you and did 99 nm all the way to JAX.

Give Aunt Janet my best regards when you talk to her next.

Marty Vanover
Phoenix, Az.

Alaska

We were getting that but I decided to go up to smoother air for her (remember the winds up high that day?) I was in no big hurry to get home to 14 degrees so the smoother ride was nice. We can see who needs Kluxed if you want next time! haha

Guys, I wish I thought I could get away from this crazy job for three weeks, but no way, at least at the present. You all have fun on the Great Alaska Air Race!!

I updated the web site a bit. I changed the obviously wrong Lethburg to Lethbridge, added a link to the Alaska Airmen's Association website, and included an equipment list spreadsheet. As you can see, we just had a good start filling the list and were at 177 lb already! I'll keep looking for a later version of the spreadsheet.

There is generally no problem finding fuel in Canada or Alaska. the only exception was attempted the Russia excursion. Even remote locations have fuel, and some have control towers (McGrath, Nome, Kotzebue, Fairbanks) or live FSS'es (Canada).

alaska

I have friends that live in Kotzebue and will be willing and able to help in any way. They fly for Bering , the same company my son flew for.

Back