BAC to Alaska in 2010???

rgschmi

Around The Moon
The subject of flying to Alaska came up again at BACFest this year and I’ll admit I’m interested in another trip, so I thought I’d put together some thoughts. Here goes:

Mid-June is a great time to go – almost 24 hours of daylight and if you get north of the Arctic Circle, you can see the Midnight Sun!

Plan on three weeks for the trip. We’d could meet in Cut Bank, Montana and fly the Alaska Highway to Tok or possibly Eagle, Alaska. It can take three to five days to get there from Montana, depending on weather, sightseeing, etc. The Alaska Highway is almost always in sight and offers a good emergency landing strip. You can land on roads legally in Alaska, but only in an emergency in Canada. Cut Bank to Fairbanks is about 1800NM following the Alaska Highway.

Daytime VFR only! Daytime only is no problem in the Spring. No instrument flying for a couple of reasons: The MEAs are high because of navaid separation and mountains. Icing potential is high in the clouds year round. The highest elevation on the whole trip from Canada to Alaska is 4400 feet, 3500 if you take a short detour.

We would camp whenever possible, to keep the cost down. There is good to great camping at most airports.

I’d like to keep the cost down to around $2500 per person, two people per airplane. Plan on around 50 hours of flying round trip from Montana, depending on where we go in Alaska.

Food is an issue. On our last trip we didn’t want to carry stove fuel in the airplane and restaurants can be expensive and are not always conveniently located near the airport. We brought and ate a lot of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! Suggestions?

You must have survival equipment on board. Canada and Alaska have different requirements and you must satisfy both. For example you must carry 10,000 calories of food per person, an axe with a 24” handle, flares, gill net, snare line, signaling mirror, ‘conspicuity panel (orange tarp)’, etc.

Weight is also an issue. With survival equipment and rations, gear, cameras, clothes, etc., you will be at gross weight if you carry full fuel, which you really want to do. Our airplanes burn roughly 10 gallons per hour at roughly 120 knots. That’s one pound of fuel per minute and two nautical miles per minute. Each extra pound of fuel you can carry gives you an additional two miles of range. Maybe that’s a good excuse to lose a few pounds before the trip!

The journey is as important as the destination. If you need to get to Alaska on a schedule, there are faster and much cheaper ways to get there.

I want to keep the group small, maybe four to eight people at most. We would fly in groups of two airplanes and separate the groups by 15 to 30 minutes. Flying as a ‘flight’ is too restrictive. You spend too much time trying to keep in position when there is way too much to see outside. We tried it on the last trip and gave up. Flying in groups of two gives you a ‘buddy’ in case of a problem yet you only have one other airplane to keep track of.

We may want to separate once in Alaska. There is much to see and do and to get a group consensus may be difficult. We still want groups of two airplanes for safety.

No firearms or alcohol. Alaska no longer requires you to carry a firearm in the airplane. Many of the native Villages ban alcohol – you can get your airplane confiscated if you bring it in. Besides, you don’t need the extra weight!

Join the Alaska Airmen’s Association and get their Logbook. It contains a detailed description of most of the popular routes in and to Alaska. My 2001 copy has 314 pages, including airport diagrams, frequencies, survival equipment requirements, side trips, and more.

Canada has a special Alaska Highway chart if you want a preview of the Canadian leg of the trip.

I can't fully commit to the trip yet, but let's see if there is any interest and take it from there. Let me know!!!

Many mountaineering stoves (look at MSR X-Series) will be happy burning avgas. No need for separate fuel, just sump what you need to cook a meal.

alaska

Paul, my son Sean, who you met last year at KLUX annual, flew for 8+ years though-out all of Alaska fly Navajo,Caravan,DC-6,KingAir air ambulance, etc could give some very helpfull info, if needed.

Alaska

I'm definitly in if we can go first of July. My dream trip. Went to Bahamas Christmas. I have a Sierra.

The MSR stove uses the fuel bottle as a tank. It connects to the stove with a short fuel line and sits like an outrigger.
Mine is from the mid 1970s and still going strong. I don't have experience with the new ones. But they always seemed happy burning just about anything that smells bad.

alaska trip

Hey dad.. just to let u know REI used to sell a small stove that would burn regular fuel.. plus some of the norther flying magazines had them in there as well.. I have a bunch of friends that have them.. and they work great.. so you can pass that on to the guys if you like.. the small stoves will burn with just a few ounces of gas.. and you never really notice it.. You can pretty much cook a small meal on what you would sump your tanks with and through on the ground.. if there is any info I can help with just let me know.. would be more then happy to help...

Alaska

What is the next step? I would be willing to help put it together if the help is needed. Need to check your insurance. Mine doesn't cover me in Alaska (but did to the Bahamas). Getting that changed.

I'd love to go. Everyone knows the three things I love most are; flying, fishing and ... well I can't remember the third, but I'll bet it is fun too.

I'd really like to take my Dad as he's always dreamed of doing something like that. But, he's now a little too weak for a trip like that. He missed the boat on the last trip by playing the feeble card. I'd admit, he had some issues and probably shouldn't have gone.

Maybe I could find someone else because I am done flying alone any great distance by myself! The trip to Sun-n-Fun I pick up Bill Manhiem in KBTR, but flew the rest of the way from the Lakeland area alone. I flew alone up to KAFW to try to get to BAC Fest, and all by my lonesome up to Arlington. I spent more than $10K in gas this year and wasn't able to share much of the fun. I've even started talking with "Center" just to break the monotony. Without trying, I won the Presidents trophy this year, but would like to see one of the younger members get it next year. Then someone started using the "C" word and that pretty much scared me off. I might stay at a Best Western or a Holiday Inn Express, but in a tent? Plus three weeks away? I'm thinking that if I left in my airplane for three weeks, the locks would be changed when I returned home. I'm not sure I could afford that.

As there seems to be a lot of interest and the group will be kept small, I just may let this one pass by. I do appreciate the the thought, but all I can say now is ... maybe.

Marty Vanover
Phoenix, Az.

I've put some pictures and my Journal from the 2005 Alaska trip on my web site, hosted on my desktop PC. I'm just playing around and using freebie software, so don't expect too much. I'm not a webmaster by any means!

My upload speed is 64kb, so it's not the fastest site around, but it will get the job done. If you hover the cursor over a thumbnail, you will get a caption. Clicking on a thumbnail will bring up the full size picture.

I'll probably edit the pictures, but most of them will stay.

The site is www.nuinet.dnsalias.com/alaska

Enjoy

alaska

Hey Bob, thanks for the great job on the pics. Brings back great memories. Since we are the same age, you're starting to worry me. Lethberg?

Dan

This is truely the trip of a life time. I have been to Anchorage and Fairbanks many times on fuel stops, crew changes and layover rest stops between Japan and Europe, the U.S. and Japan, back and forth. We have had the opportunity to spend a few days in both areas. We camped out in the Regal Hotel and Courtyard Marriott in Anchorage. And the Princess Cruise Line Hotel in Fairbanks. Obviously you guys are both older and tougher than me. I am an old Eagle Scout but I have not slept on the ground in many years, Thank God!

You guys really got to explore Alaska! It is the last best place on earth! I enjoyed your beautiful pix and journal. But it is one of those places that even the best pix, fail to do justice.

I would love to take this trip, especially with you guys. I told my girlfriend about it, but she does not want to go anywhere that she might meet a bear. She is plump and can not run very fast! She also does not read BAC! But I'm sure you already knew that.

It is very doubtful that I could get that much time off. Poor people have to work, you know. Keep us posted. I enjoyed it.

Sciscoe

alaska

I go to Alaska a couple of times every year and will be going the end of the month of Feb for the Fur Rondy and the Dog Sled Races. Is there anything I can do for anyone while I'm in Anchorage? I know the state quick well and would love to join in. But, have a nephew getting married July 4th and know that there is no way I can get out of. But, if needed depending on what the dates ARE, WOULD BE WILLING TO GO ONE WAY.

Bill,

The latest in bear protection is a 12 ga. marine flare pistol. Works better than a .44 magnum pistol. Once the flare is entangled in the fur, the griz's mind is off you and only on the flare, allowing you to make a leisurely retreat to safety. It does ruin the pelt, but the bear heals and you live. It's a win-win situation. Nice part about the flare pistol, you can take it into Canada. Not the case for the .44 mag pistol.

Marty Vanover
Phoenix, Az.

P.S. My wife tends to run for great lengths of time in the same place too. She never reads this forum either.

Back