Warm Up Your Oil - Fly-in to Iowa City December 5

gribbled

Orbiting Earth
This is a place for any dicussion about the December 5 Fly-In to Iowa City (KIOW)

Fly in to the Iowa City airport (KIOW) to visit the Alexis Park Inn & Suites, the Midwest's only Aviation Themed all-suites hotel. This hotel has been featured in Flying and AOPA Pilot magazines.

We'll meet between 10:00 and 11:00 at the airport and then head over to the Inn which is only feet from the runway.

We will see some of the 20 large and luxurious Aviation-themed suites, each with a unique decor that represents a different era in aviation history. After that we can try out the full-size flight simulator.

We'll follow that up with a trip in the courtesy van to a local restaurant for an excellent lunch. Restaurant is TBD, but will be a unique local restaurant (maybe located in a historic power plant....)

All attendees will get a gift for braving the late fall weather, with a special prize to whoever travels the furthest.

Jet Air at Iowa City has offered to give a 20 cent/gallon discount on full serve fuel to any Beech Aero Club members during the fly-in.

In addition, any members who would like to stay the evening at the Inn are eligible for a 20% discount on a Jacuzzi tub suite! Check out the hotel's website and be sure to view the huge collection of aviation videos (under Inn..ovations)

Hope to see you there!

Please post below or email Regional Director dave.gribble@mchsi.com if you think you can attend so we are looking out for you. Can't wait to see you there!

Here is a link to the KIOW page on airnav.com to help your travel planning.

Currently we are expecting 8 planes!:
Dave Gribble & Dave Leedom from Cedar Rapids IA
Ron Powell from Burlington IA
Bill Franklin from Rapid City SD
Jack Clute from Valparasio IN
Sam Cryer from Fort Atkinson WI
Bob Schmit from Hartland WI
Tom Lambert from Ames IA

Come on guys - let's fly to IOWA!

Well, Dern, Dave... How can I make it to Iowa City for your fly-in when it's on the same day as our KLUX Christmas Party/Owner Maintenance Day?! Yours sounds more recreational than ours!

I was wondering just the other day (before Gaston's) if Ron Powell was still hanging around BAC... Guess so. Ron, you were in the big group that went to Sikeston, right?

JB

Mike - we'd be honored to have you! I was so sad not to be able to make it to KLUX or to BACFest this year... I'm hopeful to be at one or the other next year though!

Christmas at KLUX sounds fun, and it will certainly be warmer than Iowa!!

Mike R: It had darn well better be a great deal warmer here at KLUX on December 05, than it is likely to be in Iowa City. Or there won't be many BAC members changing oil and hardware on the ramp at KLUX!

And the words 'Didn't Mike R make it here? may be echoing across the KLUX ramp, if it isn't a whole bunch warmer here than at KIOW....

weather looks good!

Its snowing a bit tonight but the weather looks good for Saturday! If you can come, please post here... and let me know how many people will be coming (I'm trying to get a count for lunch).

Hope to see you on Saturday!

dave gribble

Unfortunately, my son has a hockey game and I will not be able to make it Saturday. Sorry, maybe next time. In fact, I would like to host an event here in Owatonna, this winter. Cheers<

Chris

Chris,
Bummer you can't make it. I'm up for a trip to MN. I'll even let Druanne fly the first leg!!!

Hope to see you soon.

Sam

I am going to try and make it Saturday from Valparaiso, IN. If I come I will probably bring my daughter with me.

J. Clute

Bob??? Where are MY cookies???? :lol:

It was a fantastic turn out. I just got to relive it as I told Dru all about Jay and Mary's Hotel.... I can't wait to go back for a BAC sleepover and party in the game room!!!!

A special thanks to Dave Gribble for setting everything up....and also to his wife Sue for the goodies!!!!

It was great meeting everyone, although I did not get the names of the guy (no rabbit food!!!) and his wife and baby. Was that Tom??

Anyway, a great time AND we smoked back at 7.5 going 126kts ground speed....Thanks Ron for giving me some tailwind!!!

I'll post up pictures in a little while.

Sam

Sam, it was good to put faces with the names of members. You are correct, my name is Tom, wifes name is Brenda and sons Tyler. This was our first fly in and had a great time until we had to turn it into the wind for the trip home. Guess the wind cant follow me all the time.

Well Tom, it was great to meet you and your wife and little one...Wish we would have had more time to sit and chat.

Here are the pics I promised!!!

Heading out, didn't look too good, but we had 3600 ft ceilings...and snow.....
SamsFlying001.jpg

Bob Schmidt and Myself....nice and toasty...
SamsFlying005.jpg

At the hotel game room.....Ron is doing loops with the Dakota....LOL!!!
SamsFlying007.jpg

The Hotel is awesome.....aviation related stuff EVERYWHERE!!! (P.S. the hotel website does not do it justice...it is awesome in person) Jay was a most gracious host and he and his wife (and Son) are pilots. Very good people!
SamsFlying010-1.jpg

Jack Clute and his daughter Kait....I think Kait was in Triple Chocolate Heaven!!!!
SamsFlying014.jpg

Dave, one of his boys, Dave Gribble and his wife Sue.
SamsFlying015.jpg

A picture of the picture taker (Dave Gribble)
SamsFlying019.jpg

Ron, Tom (no rabbit food), Brenda and Tyler.
SamsFlying020.jpg

Um Yeah.....we were having fun!
SamsFlying021.jpg

Back at the hotel after food....Kait flying the helicopter and Jay and Jack watching so they don't get hit!!!
SamsFlying022.jpg

Hope to do it again......

Sam

Great pictures, sorry we had to get going so soon. Brenda had a company christmas party on Saturday night we had to get back to in time for. Next time we wont scedule so many things on the same day! hah. Hope to do it again soon..

I concur, it was a fun time. Thanks Dave and Sue for arranging this event. It was great to meet new members and see some familar faces also. Sam, I was getting 160 kts over the ground on the way home, got home in 1.4 hours!!!! Thanks to Jay and his wife also for having us at he hotel.

Jack

Back