The back-to-back (BACTOBAC?) tour after BACFest 2015 - 2 + 2 nights

trumpet nelson

Around The Moon
Team members,

This is a morf of Marty's initial "Western Tour" that is now abbreviated somewhat. Join in if you wish, and let's all hope for some great weather. All subject to feedback/discussions:

Sunday - depart BacFest 2015 (no rush, leave time for some goodbyes) and head west to KRAP (yes ... difficult to type):
- about 1 1/2 hour out, a stop at 0K7 for low priced fuel and handy for the heavy coffee drinkers. Makes the final leg to KRAP about 3 3/4 hour.
- and/or, about 2 1/2 hours out from DBQ is a good stop at KLYV. Only about 40 cents penalty in gas price, and also is close to the mid-point of the trip for those who may not wish to tackle that longer final leg above.

Sunday night and Monday and (?) Monday night - join in on camping and campfire fun, or collect some wisdom at the Holiday Inn (if it looks wet, guess where I will be ...). I will let Marty chime in on some activities but regardless, I plan to see Mt. Rushmore. Another checkmark on the bucket list.

Tuesday - depart at sunrise and head south to Nelson's cabin in Colorado (KANK where I keep a car). About 1 3/4 hour for the first leg is 82V for a fuel stop. Then it's a dogleg flight over to KPUB keeping us east of Denver and giving us a nice valley route into KANK (runway is 7300 ft, elevation is about 7,500 ft). Just under 2 1/2 hours for that "L" shaped second leg, with plenty of fuel onboard for any contingencies. We will arrive at KANK about noon. Then it's a 20 minute drive to my cabin at 10,000 feet (after a Walmart run into town).

Tuesday night and Wednesday and (?)) Wednesday night - in the mountains and on jeep trails and hiking trails. Adventures to match the weather. We might be satisfied with just BBQ's on the deck and swapping stories.

Depart Wednesday ... or Thursday ... or Friday and head home. You are welcome to stay for several days. Fall color change should be beautiful. I plan to leave Friday morning at sunrise and head south to San Antonio.

That's my plans for the back-to-back after BAC Fest 2015. Just let me know if I need to have a mountain cabin bedroom reserved for you.

http://www.coloradocabinrentals.com/

Nelson

Nelson,

That sounds good to me. If nobody else is camping (or wet weather is forecasted), I'll stay with the rest of the group at the H.I. or wherever. Bob gets a good discount on rental cars, maybe he can get a van and we can split the cost for the trip to Rushmore (also on my bucket list). I do have to be back in Phoenix on the 10th. I have a celebration to attend, but that shouldn't be a problem even if I leave on the 9th. KANK is just 3.5 hrs from KAVQ in the Sierra (accounting for moderate westerlies).

I am looking at the flight to KANK. I've never landed at that elevation, nor flown in that high of terrain. Trumpet, your Sundowner handles it ok?

I'm good with this plan, and I'll be camping unless the weather gets real bad. I hope I can at least make a landing in every state that we go close to so as to add to my map. My tentative plan on returning to Georgia is to overnight somewhere near Wichita, and maybe see a Beechcraft or two somewhere there! Do they have a factory tour or something? I missed it a couple of years ago.

I am looking at the flight to KANK. I've never landed at that elevation, nor flown in that high of terrain. Trumpet, your Sundowner handles it ok?

Landing isn't the issue at higher elevations. But, from the photos, there seems to be ample runway and space to climb to altitude and cruise to lower ground. I've circled over more than a couple of mountain airports to get above the rocks. Just takes some patients and an eye on the CHTs.

Bob,

Short answer - - the Sundowner worked very well at KANK. As Marty says, the landing is not really an issue. Just ignore "Full Rich Mixture" on your check list (yes - I have a story for you...). And for those going there, we'll have discussions on what a flat lander (like me) needs to consider during the route, arrival, landing and departure. I am a very conservative pilot and keep my safety margins intact. Simple.

Long answer - -

The landing was a non-event. Two priority items: (1) targeting a touchdown point about 800 feet past the threshold, and (2) landing uphill on the 2% grade (Runway 24) if the winds comply. As it was, I was easily down to taxi speed before getting even close to mid-field. Made the first turnoff without even trying.

The take off was a non-event (except for my heart rate). Two priority items: (1) lean to best power, and (2) keep it light. I was about 250 lbs, below gross, had a 8 mph quartering tailwind and about 35 degrees F during my one and only morning departure from KANK. I used less than 1/3 of the runway to get to Vy and airborne, and circled above the airport (a large valley) until I had climbed through 10,000 feet before heading south. Climb rate was very reasonable.

Yes - - for those joining in the adventure, we have about 10 other items to discuss about going into KANK. While I flew many years in the Alaska mountains, I am a low time Colorado mountain flier. If someone says I am too cautious, I say "thanks". We'll have plenty of time at DBQ for some round table talks on this trip for those interested.

Nelson

I've had several high density altitude takeoffs. All went fine, even the one where the AWOS reported DA of 9800'. The keys are (as stated above) lean for best power and go in the morning before it warms up. I doubt Colorado mountains in October will be particularly warm any time of the day, so morning T.O. may not matter too much. Even so, don't be surprised by a T.O. roll as much as twice as long as you are used too. That's why most high elevation airports are sooooo long.

I created the flight from KPUB to KANK in Google Earth. The flight is at 9500ft and follows Highway 50 through the mountains. If you haven't used Google Earth for this, you get a bird's eye view video of the flight which you can speed up or slow down. The only down sides are; there is no bank on the turns, and my hand isn't as steady as it used to be, so there is some 'turbulence' on the flight and I'm off the road a few times. If any one is interested in taking a look, I can email you the file which you can import into Google Earth and play. The route doesn't look too bad, actually.

I did this for the flight into West Yellowstone, and it was a confidence builder.

I've had several high density altitude takeoffs. All went fine, even the one where the AWOS reported DA of 9800'. The keys are (as stated above) lean for best power and go in the morning before it warms up. I doubt Colorado mountains in October will be particularly warm any time of the day, so morning T.O. may not matter too much. Even so, don't be surprised by a T.O. roll as much as twice as long as you are used too. That's why most high elevation airports are sooooo long.

I sooo can not wait for October flying weather in the Rockies. When we came back from BAC Fest 2014 the aspen trees were still turning and the afternoon light is amazing. You will enjoy it.

HEAD COUNT TIME !!

As you all have read on this thread, Marty is being kind enough to be the point man for an after-BacFest trip over to KRAP to see Mount Rushmore and extend our flying fun by two more nights.

- and -

I have an open invitation for any of you to spend as many as 3 nights at my Colorado cabins at 10,000 feet (fly to KANK) gratis.

soooo ....

Please discuss with those involved (or just ponder this yourself) and if you are joining in, let's have your name added here on this thread by September 1st. Easy peezy. :)

Thanks in advance, my flying friends,

Nelson Amen

Attachments

• IMG_6370a_1.jpg
    IMG_6370a_1.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2239ab_1.jpg
    IMG_2239ab_1.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0662b_1.jpg
    IMG_0662b_1.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 18
Dealing with getting my medical in time. Right now I'm grounded 😣

Our plan is to leave for Rapid city on Sunday. We have a room booked for Sunday-Tuesday departing after breakfast for Kansas city, kansas so we can spend a couple of days with friends.

Bump to top - - - free 3 nights lodging and airport transportation (and maybe some margaritas thrown in there somewhere) ....

Right now it appears we'll have 5 persons at Rapid City after BacFest, and then only 2 planes (Marty and I) heading to my Colorado cabins. Again, see details below .... and .... send me or thread reply your name / headcount if you wish to join in the fun. Fall colors in the mountains should be good this year. If possible, please respond by next Sunday (Sept. 6th) and I will reserve a bedroom at 10,000 ft for you. Simple.

Best regards,
Nelson

I plan on joining y'all to Rapid City AND to the cabin(s) in CO. I will camp where available (Rapid City I hope) as I have purchased a tent-cot (already have a ground tent), and have most all the needed gear for camping and basic cooking. I'm looking forward to this trip, and hope to learn how to fly in the higher elevations. I'm glad it'll be Oct temperatures though.
So count me in.

Planning updates (so far):

Looks like 4 planes at Rapid City and 3 for the Colorado portion. Great! Room for more .... :D .... my friends.

For Rapid City ..... I plan to join Gary at the Holiday Inn. Per Marty, camping logistics are a little clunky (but definitely doable for hardy souls) and the most compelling item for me was the at-first-daylight departure from Rapid City to the Salida airport (KANK). I avoid afternoon flying in the mountains, and my personal limit is 2:30 pm. Our easy schedule has us landing well before noon.

Hoping you will join in (it's never too late), and hoping for great flying weather,
Nelson

UPDATES FOR THE TEAM:

- some (such as yours truly) are staying at the Howard Johnsons in Rapid City, SD for those two nights. Cheap, cheap. And about a 20 minute walk to the Holiday Inn if needed. Simple.

- plenty of room in Colorado if you wish to join us. Fall colors and crisp mornings at our 10,000 ft cabins.

Be safe,
Nelson Amen

I just booked at Rapid City ($59/night) through "expedia.com". We have 5 members joining and there is still time and room for others. The time line looks to be a Sunday departure at KDBQ with a "comfort" stop some place between KDBQ and KRAP. RON (remain over night for you civilian) at KRAP and visit Mount Rushmore the next day. Another RON in KRAP and off to the cabins up in Colorado. Would be nice to have a few more in the formation flight.

I have reserved a Ford Explorer (7 passengers) in Rapid City for the two days for $121 after all the add-on expenses. Seems reasonable when split 5 or so ways.

BTW, sign me up for two nights in Colorado!

We're looking at a midway stop on the way to KRAP and a chance to knock out another state by landing and topping off at KLYV, Quentin Aanenson Field located in Luverne MN. Fuel is $4.65 (today)

Last edited:
Back