Tangier Island (KTGI) Wed, Sept 18

drwhite

Orbiting Earth
Come early to BACFest or if you can't attend the entire convention, join us on an excursion
Wednesday, Sept 18 to the unique village of Tangier
Island. The island is only 57nm from our base at
Norfolk International but you will feel like you’ve
made an international flight!

Those leaving from BACFest are to meet in the hotel lobby
at 9:00am and we will shuttle over to the airport. We will
aim for a 10:15 departure with arrival by 11:00. Those
flying in from elsewhere, plan to meet us on the island
at 11:00.

Tangier Island is a small island located in the middle
of the Chesapeake Bay. It is known as the soft-shell
crab capital of the world. Most of the island’s
economy is derived from either fishing or tourism.
Only 727 people call Tangier Island home and the
area is so isolated that they are known for having
their own dialect. The people of Tangier, who speak
with a lingering trace of Elizabethan accent, are
warm, friendly and proud of their island. The only
methods of transportation off the island are boats
and airplane.

There is still a calm, peaceful atmosphere on the
island, with only one pay phone, four or five gift
shops, a few restaurants, and a hardware store as
the only retail establishments. There are no arcades,
no drug stores or department stores, no traffic
lights, and violent crime is virtually nonexistent.
There are three bed and breakfasts for overnight
guests, and a wild beach without a boardwalk or
concessions. Visitors will need to bring cash since
there are no ATMs on the island. Most of the gift
shops, eating establishments, and overnight
accommodations have begun to accept credit and
debit cards.

There is a $10.00 landing fee. (Cash Only!)
We will then take a golf cart guided tour ($5.00/
person [Cash Only]). The island has very few cars
as the people travel by foot, bicycle or golf cart.
Afterwards, we will dine at the famous Chesapeake
House where lunch is served Family Style. Lunch
includes: Chesapeake Bay Crab Cakes (They're
home-made from the Chesapeake Blue Crab.)
Also: Chesapeake Style Clam Fritters, Virginia Ham,
Potato Salad, Coleslaw, Pickled Beets, Apple Sauce,
Green Beans, and Hot Corn Pudding . Let's not
forget Home-made Rolls, fresh daily baked Butter
Pound Cakes, and Beverages. Lunch is $22.00 per
person. Credit Cards Accepted.

If you are planning to attend, please let me know so
that I can give them a head count!

I have to work a few hours in the Morning. But I am planning on joining ypu for this barring any last minute BACFest needs.
Paul

Just a part of safe flight advice here, before feet wet check all engine instruments an ensure all is normal, gain altitude to ensure glide distance back to land in case something developes I always use 4500 or better for this water crossing, pick the shortest distance over water to the island depending on direction of flight, KNOW your half way point depending on winds, which way will you go should the worst happen, if something does go wrong and making it back to land is not probable, aim for the nearest boat, the fishing fleet is usually out there somewhere, and watch out for the spotter aircraft for the fishing fleet, but they are usually low. On departure climb up circling the island to altitude then proceed on course.

Steve

Thanks Steve! Would you suggest carrying life vests? Wearing them? I know this sounds a bit extreme, but what if????

Good idea, Mike. I've got mine. :)

images

Others will chime in but I believe it's required for water crossings if you are beyond glide distance from land, and you will be if you don't have height.

Steve

Although Tangier definitely has the feel of a foreign land it is not far from shore. Since I seem to be over water a lot I always have inflatable PFDs on the plane. It looks like they are not required for this flight. But I can probably locate a bunch if someone wants some for the day. Also, although the higher altitude for glide distance is a great suggestion, there are some airspace restrictions over KTGI that can limit this choice.
Usually leaving KORF it is easy to follow the eastern shore (over CCV VOR etc) until time to start descent for Tangier. Then just a matter of being below the floor of Patuxent River Naval Air Station space. The controllers at Pax river are usually very friendly to GA and Norfolk commonly provides a VFR handoff.

Alan White is planning on a morning group briefing before the flight and will have a current update on PAX river airspace activity.

Dan Kirby and I will join you at KTGI at 11:00 AM, coming in from Ohio, if Dan can get me up early enough!

I looked at the map and Margie and I will be very near Tangier Island on Wednesday flying from Boston.
So, we might as well join you. We will have lunch at Sussex County, Georgetown Delaware and join you about 1:00pm.
If I had a phone number for a BACer at Tangier I could call to see that you are all still there.
email # to mediareps@aol.com

Tom Corcoran

If you had a phone number for a BACer you'd still be out of luck as there is no cell phone service on the island. There's no radio communications from the ground either. You have to be about 800ft to get Patuxent Approach.

I looked at the map and Margie and I will be very near Tangier Island on Wednesday flying from Boston.
So, we might as well join you. We will have lunch at Sussex County, Georgetown Delaware and join you about 1:00pm.
If I had a phone number for a BACer at Tangier I could call to see that you are all still there.
email # to mediareps@aol.com

Tom Corcoran

Add one more for me. I'll fly out from KORF. Also, since I plan to have a van, I can take a few more from the hotel to the airport.

Bob

Back