Sun-n-Fun - THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

DF14w said
Sparkie951 said

DF14w said

I plan on attending for at least one day. Also, have never been before.

@Half-Fast

Is the owner of that Sierra at GIF, N6008U, a member of BAC? I always see it parked there.

I thought that Half-Fast had a B23? (N6082N)

Sparkie,

He does. If you read my question, I'm asking if the owner of the "Sierra" parked there is a member?

Oops.. I misread your message. Sorry

I am planning to be there by dinner Thursday night. Will be at the field both Friday and Saturday. We should have a tent that several clubs share. Last year the Type Tent was north across the taxiway from Vintage Headquarters.

I'll be there either Tue or Wed, probably not both.  Look for a guy stuck at the ticket booth loudly complaining that there's not a discount for BAC members.    [img title="Wink" alt="Wink" /]https://www.beechaeroclub.org/wp-content/sp-resources/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif[/img]

If you buy the tickets online you can get a discount using EAA902 as the discount code. Of course you have to be an EAA member. (They said they check cards). AOPA may have a code too. Took me a while to find the EAA one. If you pre-pay parking, it will be $10 instead of $20 per day.  Hope that helps.

Of course, when you order online, SNF tacks on an additional $5.50 as a "convenience" fee, and the EAA discount is only $5 per ticket. 

And, of course, it's true.  It's much more convenient if you order on line. For them, not you.

Below is a listing of all the aviation organizations whose members receive discounted admission to SNF. You will notice that they have excluded BAC! Of all the nerve. I can't fathom the audacity of ommitting the finest organization with the most esteemed ladies and gentlemen in aviation.

We must not ignore this slight.

When you go to the ticket booth at SNF, be sure to insist upon a discount as a BAC member. If they won't give it, you can get the same discount with your pilot's license, or membership in one of the other groups, but we must make ourselves known!

[img title="Laugh" alt="Laugh" /]https://www.beechaeroclub.org/wp-content/sp-resources/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif[/img]

• Academy of Model Aeronautics – AMA
  • Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association – AOPA
  • Air Line Pilots Association Int’l – ALPA
  • Allied Pilot Association – APA
  • Antique Airplane Association – AAA
  • Canadian Owners & Pilots Association – COPA
  • Civil Air Patrol, Florida Wing – CAP
  • Commemorative Air Force – CAF
  • Experimental Aircraft Association – EAA
  • Florida Air Museum (Aerospace Discovery @ the FAM)
  • Florida Antique Biplane Association – FABA
  • Florida Cub Flyers – FCF
  • Florida Sport Aviation Antique and Classic Association – FSAACA
  • National Association of Flight Instructors – NAFI

• National Business Aviation Association – NBAA
  • OX-5 Aviation Pioneers – OX5
  • Quiet Birdman, Inc. – QB’s
  • Retired Airline Pilots of Canada – RAPC
  • Seaplane Pilots Association – SPA
  • Silver Wings Fraternity – SWF
  • Society of Aviation and Flight Educators – SAFE
  • The Ninety-Nines, Inc. / The Friends of the Ninety-Nines – 99’s
  • Ultralight Pilots Association of Canada – UPAC
  • U.S. Power Paraglider Association – USPPA
  • U.S. Ultralight Association – USUA
  • Warbirds of America – WBA
  • Women in Aviation – WIA
I am actually working on this with SNF. As I plan for next year and all the changes this is one of them. Hope to see you again this year in the Tent.

Anyone have any leads on reasonable lodging? I went last year and shared a B&B, which turned out to be quite nice. I just paid him cash, and have no details. I will try to follow up with the fellow who made the arrangements, but in the interim I'll see if anyone knows of anything. I plan on flying commercial and renting a car. Preliminary investigations shows all of the hotels to be insanely expensive.

Anyone have any leads on reasonable lodging? I went last year and shared a B&B, which turned out to be quite nice. I just paid him cash, and have no details. I will try to follow up with the fellow who made the arrangements, but in the interim I'll see if anyone knows of anything. I plan on flying commercial and renting a car. Preliminary investigations shows all of the hotels to be insanely expensive.
I stayed in Tampa last time. YMMV.

Have you checked lodging in the Winter Haven area? The Winter Haven airport, KGIF, usually runs a shuttle to SNF, and many people park their planes there rather than flying to the show. It's a fairly short drive.

Last year I stayed between Tampa and Lakeland. It was an easy commute. I would have no trouble staying towards or in Tampa.

I will check the Winter Haven area. Thanks for the ideas!

I have a tough time justifying flying down there. Roundtrip on SW would be about what gas would cost for me one way. The one guy who would go with me just bailed.

One thing I've encountered on past trips: it's a lot easier to cash in credit card/frequent flyer points for a flight to Tampa than to Orlando.

Last year, I landed at Orlando where a friend picked me up. Getting around Orlando is very tough. I would definitely go to Tampa.

I have only been to SnF one time and drove there. Is there no flying in to the show? I always thought it was like OSH where you could fly in and camp.

You can fly in. The procedures and NOTAM are almost as complicated as Oshkosh. It's an awfully long way for me at a time of year when the weather is more than a little iffy.

Just the gas for me to fly to KLAL is $1,000. And if something breaks I get to fix it. Of course, if I fill all four seats it gets proportionally better. Also, I don't relish flying in a pattern with hundreds of other pilots. If I flew in, I would arrive before the show opens, or just as it opens.

Back