Potential SE Fly-ins for 2017

Great trip to Crestview. Thanks Charley for setting up the tours at Hurlburt and Eglin fields. Saw some interesting military aircraft and had some great food. Enjoyed the cookout with your EAA chapter.
attachment.php

The helmet that the Navy aviators fly with are custom fitted to their individual heads. All at the bargain price of $450,000 per!
attachment.php

And what's a fly-in without some appetizers observing the bay before dinner?

attachment.php

And the final stop was at Charley's home field for a cookout with his EAA chapter.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Eglin.jpg
    Eglin.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 214
  • Helmet.jpg
    Helmet.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 207
  • Appetizer.jpg
    Appetizer.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 206
  • EAA Lunch.jpg
    EAA Lunch.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 206
Trying to get a rough schedule together for volunteers to man the BAC table at the Sun n Fun (4-9 April) Type Club tent. Great deal...had pretty good participation last year. Merely working one shift (basically couple hours) entitles you to free admission and free parking for that day. IF YOU WORK THREE DAYS OR MORE, YOU'RE ENTITLED TO A WEEKLY PASS! Plus, they provide snacks/water/sandwiches and I got a 12-pack of Bud Light...whoa! Excellent chance to meet other type club folks...wonderful atmosphere.

Current volunteers: Myself (all week); Fred and Lisa Hannon (Thu, Fri, Sat); Tom Corcoran (time TBD); Fred Culleton (Wed, Thu, Fri); Paul Werbin (time TBD); Peter Kuhns (time TBD); Tim Hill (time TBD).

As soon as you can volunteer the better as I have to send the number of folks working each day into the Type Club Tent Chairman. I'm waiting to hear when the NLT date is for that.

Once that's tallied, she can have the appropriate number of admission/parking wristbands/passes ready for pick up at the registration booth.

Lots of fun...let me know.

Thanks, Charley Booton, SE Director, N9143S

Last edited:
I just sent a request for weekly Sun n Fun admission/parking wristbands/passes for the following members: Charles Booton, Tim Hill, Rick Gaffney, Paul Werbin, Tom Corcoran, Fred Culleton, Fred Hannon and Lisa Hannon.

I plan to pick up all the bands/passes on Mon, 3 April. Any additional volunteers, please notify me NLT Tue, 28 March with the requested days you plan to work and whether you need a parking pass. Remember, if you plan to work three days or more, you're entitled to a weekly wristband/parking pass.

Inform me via this website, my email: chazbo_af@mchsi.com, or cell: 850-496-6912.

Depending when you plan to arrive at Lakeland, you'll have to meet me at the gate or my hotel, etc. to get your bands/passes. Or, you could meet me at the gate before you enter...however, you will have had to pay for parking that day. Best way is to arrange a meeting time/place before you plan to park. Just call and will do my best to get your stuff to you.

A reminder about a few fly-in opportunities over the next couple weekends. Two St. Patty EAA fly-ins and a celebration of life for Ron Alexander.

I am unable to attend any this weekend, but plan on attending Ron's memorial service 25 March. Whomever is able to attend any fly-in, please take plenty of pics to post on the website and/or Facebook. Also, get back to me on the mileage you tallied for your trip...flying or driving; as well as any meal expenses. BAC will reimburse meal expenses provided the event was posted on the calendar.

1. Annual St. Patrick Fly-in, Dublin, GA, Saturday, 18 March 7:00 AM - 12:00 PM, W.H."Bud" Barron Airport (KDBN) Dublin Georgia, EAA Chapter 1195 Annual St. Patrick Fly-In Pancake Breakfast.

Phone: 478-668-3903

2. EAA Chapter 977 9th Annual Shamrock Fly-In Cannon Creek Airpark (15FL), Left hand patterns, CTAF 123.0. Saturday March 18th 2017 11:30AM – 2PM (rain or shine); $10 Adults, $5 Kids Featuring pulled pork, hot dogs, or a veggie platter. All include sides, drinks, and our decadent dessert table.

EAA977.org, Lake City, FL
Info: Call Mark at 386-466-0997

3. Ron Alexander Celebration of Life at the Candler Field Museum (GA2), 25 March.
Last Aug, I hosted a small fly-in at this field whose owner, Ron Alexander, gave us a tour of his airport, Peachstate Aerodrome which is home to a youth program, flying club, Barnstormers Grill and fly-n Airpark. Tragically, on 17 November, Ron and an FAA examiner were killed in a recently restored Curtiss JN-4, Jenny. He was a good friend to many, patriot, aviation pioneer and entrepreneur.

Rwy 13/31, 122.72 (unmonitored), relatively smooth sod, 2,400' x 100', 950 ft AGL, downhill to the NW. It's located about an hour south of Atlanta and close to Griffin-Spalding County Airport (6A2) if you prefer a paved runway alternative. Several hotel chains are located in Griffin, but I would imagine most can fly to/from same day.

The Candler Field Museum is a living museum located in rural Williamson GA where old aeroplanes still fly, antique cars still drive and the sights and sounds of the 1920s era come to life every day. The terminal and main hangar represent the motif of Atlanta's first commercial airport, Candler Field, circa late '20s. Click on www.peachstateaero.com for more details.

Hope to have a good turnout and let's hope and pray for mild spring weather!

Fly safely,

Charley Booton, SE Director
Sierra, N9143S

Sun n Fun 4-9 April 2017

As mentioned in the March BOD meeting, anyone who needs to pick up their Sun n Fun wristbands/parking passes will have to call me early. That way we can set up time/place before you enter the airfield, so you don't get hit up for parking that first day. I'll arrive 3 April, the day before the fly-in.

Also, anyone who has any BAC related items/trinkets/pamphlets/stickers/patches that can be distributed at the type-club tent, please ship them to my address BEFORE 3 April:

Charles Booton
3180 Calle de Cortez
Navarre, FL 32566

chazbo_af@mchsi.com
850-496-6912

This Saturday, 25 March, the Peachstate Aerodrome (GA2) and Candler Field Museum will host a Celebration of Life ceremony for it’s founder, Ron Alexander. The facility is located 349 Jonathan’s Roost Rd in Williamson at the Peach State Airport. Gates open to the public at 10am, with an 11am lunch featuring a DC3 fly by. Following lunch, there will be a T-6 fly by and the beginning of the celebration, which will include music and a number of speakers, including WKEU’s Bill Taylor. Once the ceremony is complete, Barnstormer’s Grill will open at 4pm. For more information about the Celebration of Life of Ron Alexander, head to peachstateaero.com and click on the event schedule.

Last Aug, I hosted a small fly-in at this field whose owner, Ron Alexander, gave us a tour of his airport, Peachstate Aerodrome which is home to a youth program, flying club, Barnstormers Grill and fly-n Airpark. Tragically, on 17 November, Ron and an FAA examiner were killed in a recently restored Curtiss JN-4, Jenny. He was a good friend to many, patriot, aviation pioneer and entrepreneur.

Rwy 13/31, 122.72 (unmonitored), relatively smooth sod, 2,400' x 100', 950 ft AGL, downhill to the NW. It's located about an hour south of Atlanta and close to Griffin-Spalding County Airport (6A2) if you prefer a paved runway alternative. Several hotel chains are located in Griffin, but I would imagine most can fly to/from same day.

The Candler Field Museum is a living museum located in rural Williamson GA where old aeroplanes still fly, antique cars still drive and the sights and sounds of the 1920s era come to life every day. The terminal and main hangar represent the motif of Atlanta's first commercial airport, Candler Field, circa late '20s. Click on www.peachstateaero.com for more details.

I will attend but will be driving as I'm passing through on the way to Indiana. Slight chance of rain there tomorrow afternoon. Hope to see few of you show up to give respect to a legendary aviator.

Fly safely,

Charley Booton, SE Director
Sierra, N9143S

Below looks like a great time. I plan on showing weather permitting. Anybody like to honcho this? Let me know, 850-496-6912.

EAA 611 announces the 48th Annual Cracker Fly-In Sat, July 8, 2017 Gainesville, Georgia at the Lee Gilmer Memorial Airport (KGVL) from 7am till 3pm. Over 150 aircraft expected from all over the Southeast. Pancakes @ 07:30 lunch @ 11:00. Runway 5/23 Open all Day (No airshows). Warbird Rides, Huey & Cobra Helicopter Rides. Kids Play Area w/ games, activities, snow cones, and more. Fun for all. Visit www.crackerflyin.com for info. $5 donation per walk-ins. Kids 12 and under free, Fly-Ins free.

Back