PacNW Fly-in - WAAAM! at 4S2 (Hood River City)

jkrane

Level Cruise
Let's look at really old airplanes (all of them are still airworthy as a requirement) and old cars!

jenny.jpg

Photo courtesy of WAAAM

Saturday June 7th 12:30pm, at Hood River City's own Ken Jernstedt Airfield, 4S2 (http://www.airnav.com/airport/4S2). Come experience flying in the beautiful Columbia Gorge, one of the greatest museums (as I am told ), a wide selection of BAC aircraft and a fantastic pizza. We will attempt an off-site to the downtown area if it can be coordinated, otherwise there is plenty of fun to be had around the airfield.

http://www.waaamuseum.org/

Event fine-print:

If we can get a group of 10 people, it will be $10.00 each -- we will use the new paypal payment system, otherwise it is 12.00 seniors/vets and $14.00 adults.

Last edited:
Looking at the 10 day forecast, Saturday the 7th will have great weather for our trip to WAAAM!

So far we have a small cozy bunch, anyone else?

Forecast calls for morning marine clouds over south Puget Sound and down as far as the Chehalis Gap. It's suppose to burn off by 10 or 11am. Clear or scattered clouds otherwise. Shouldn't affect us, though. We'll be well above the clouds on our way south. Planning to arrive about noon. Also planning a stop at Scappose to fill the tank on the return trip. Looking forward to a tank full of fuel that didn't have Washington's excessive excise tax added to the cost.

I was intending on flying down. Work has me away tomorrow, but it's not too bad - I'm flying a brand new B777-300ER down to LA for paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was intending on flying down. Work has me away tomorrow, but it's not too bad - I'm flying a brand new B777-300ER down to LA for paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stop by and see me at Bald Knob (Arkansas) on your way, I will be mowing grass in the morning. You can get that thing stopped in 2250 feet, right?

That 777 sounds like a nice ride! See anyone that can make it around 12:30! Jack, that marine layer wasn't around today, interested to see tomorrow.

Great day. 2.2 hours down to Hood River, a really fantastic museum, good pizza and people, then 3 hours home (including a stop for fuel). It was a little bumpy climbing out from Hood River (Wind Surfing capitol of the USA) but otherwise a really nice day of flying.

It was a great day, I agree with Jack it was bumpy getting into and out of the Gorge, but well worth the extra excitement. On the way to Hood River Portland was covered in a pretty good undercast, but quickly turned into a clear once we hit Cascade Locks. The best part was meeting up with fellow BAC members Jack and his lovely wife Robin and seeing all of the great antique aircraft and automobiles at WAAAM! We were lucky enough to get the courtesy car and drive into town for a bit to grab some of the best pizza on the West Coast at Double Mountain Brewery (had to settle for tea and root beer :-) ).

Great Day indeed, here are a few images highlighting the day:

IMG_2735.jpg

Flying into the Gorge, this is where things cleared up (and got a little bumpy).

IMG_2794.jpg

WAAAM!

IMG_2770.jpg

There was really so much to see that I think we will need to return soon. They do a very good job setting things up nicely, lots of educational videos to watch too.

IMG_2771.jpg

All of these planes still fly!

IMG_2773.jpg

Look at that windscreen

IMG_2760.jpg

Focus is a little bad here, but what is this plane?? Are those stall fences or what?

IMG_2788.jpg

Here we are after devouring our pizza. (L to R: Joel (my dad), Jack, Robin, Me (Jon))

IMG_2796.jpg

Two mice, one more and we have the three Musketeers, I'm hoping next time more will have a chance to come!

A few more shots not here if you visit the album:

https://vbl.beechaeroclub.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=1050

Attachments

• IMG_2735.jpg
    IMG_2735.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2773.jpg
    IMG_2773.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 6
I'm not sure what that little airplane is. Looks like it's missing a rudder. Those are probably external stiffeners for the wings in lieu of internal ribs. There were a couple airplanes that incorporated beaded wing skins to eliminate internal ribs. The Seabee was one, the Thorp Sky Scooter was another. I also liked that fine looking example of a Luscombe Sedan.

Marty, The rudder was there, just turned to the port side away from the camera. 98% of the displays were labeled, but this plane wasn't. If it weren't for the wing adornments I would have said it was some variation on an Erocoupe.

Yup, Trojan! My dad says he used to see one at Staten Island Airport (now a shopping center). Marty, you think those external ribs are creating some drag?

Here'a a few more photos from the trip to Hood River. My wife is "into" mountain photos.
1957 Beech 18.jpg
That Beech 18 from the other side.
Planes on ramp at Hood River.jpg
On the ramp at 4S2
Sierra N557JS at Hood River.jpg
Jon's Sierra
Mt. Hood.jpg
Mt Hood
Columbia River & Mt Adams.jpg
Hood River City, Columbia River and Mt. Adams
Mt St Helens & Adams.jpg
Mt St Helens and Mt Adams