New York Metropolitan Tri-State Fly In

rkittine

Around The Moon
WARWICK CRP 07-30-13 RSS.jpg

Hi All You Beech Drivers in the Northeast U.S.A. (or from wherever you are willing to fly in from)!

Anyone interested in helping setting up a Beech Fly-In for later in the summer or in the fall? Maybe in New Jersey, down state New York or eastern Long Island? I am sure open to other places. I am investigating locations that will have the required parking and either allowing food to be brought in and prepared on site or a restaurant that might want to cater something.

I know I could set this up at N72 in Warwick, New York were there are plenty of tables and chairs and BBQ grills available for me to use (I base an airplane there and was on the board). I have done at least 4 Tube and Fabric Fly-In's there. The issue is that the paved runway is only 28' wide by, in reality, about 1,950 long with a lake on one end and trees and a big old hill on the other. Some people I have talked to are not that comfortable going in there. Steve, the V.P. of Piston Sales for Cessna / Beechcraft is happy to bring in a Grand Caravan but not a Baron!

Maybe Connecticut or Massachusetts so I can add a state to my Beech Map!

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone want to take on the job or checking out any of those recommended locations as to an Airport and their feelings about allowing this to happen.

I will check with the administrative people of Orange County - KMGJ and also Wurtsboro.

Bob

Fly up to Caldwel, New Jersey on a Monday or Tuesday and I will pick you up and take you into the city and get you back. For the rest of the week, fly into East Hampton and I will get you to the train or the Jitney (special bus) to Manhattan and then back again to your plane.

Let me see what I could do in order to set something up at East Hampton.

Bob

I spoke to Kent, the President of the East Hampton Pilots Association. The group is having "Just Plane Fun Day" ON Saturday the 7th of September. When they do this, they will have food available etc. He suggested that maybe we should consider having a Beech Fly-In at East Hampton on the same day in conjunction with this event. Might make a lot of sense as the airport and township have already approved and scheduled it and there will be a big turn out even if not many Beech Drivers.

Anyone interested, please E-mail me at: Rkittine@aol.com

Kent would also help us set one up for another date later into the fall if the September 7th does not get a good reaction for this group.

Bob

With BACFest being the next week, there's no way I could make it on that date but I love the location!

Any member can post an official fly-in to any place at any time.
Just publish it at least 5 days in advance and notify the Regional Director. MA VT RI ME NH NJ NY PA and CT is me.
Thanks Bob for the idea.

For official BAC fly-ins the club treats attendees to lunch/breakfast. So either grills or restaurants are appropriate.

Consider (maybe) Westfield, Massachusetts or Windham, Connecticut. Most recent in NJ was a very long time ago. NY was Kobalt.

Also available: THE THREE STATE CHALLENGE (a BAC exclusive). Fly from Groton, Connecticut to Fisher's Island, New York then to Westerly, Rhode Island. You have landed in three states but have only flown 17 miles. Attaboy certificates awarded for doing it.

Tom Corcoran

Sorry, I forgot about BAC FEST. I will see what other dates work for the East Hampton Airport. Since we would not then be joining another one already planned and since this will be my first attempt on Long Island, I might just find a willing Food Truck to show up to make food available.

Bob

Bob,
I know Montauk has a landing fee, but might be a better choice. If still nice, you can go on the beach. There's the restaurant right across the street, and the marina next door. Otherwise, Block Island is nice in Sept also.

Dave

Any member can post an official fly-in to any place at any time.
Just publish it at least 5 days in advance and notify the Regional Director. MA VT RI ME NH NJ NY PA and CT is me.
Thanks Bob for the idea.

For official BAC fly-ins the club treats attendees to lunch/breakfast. So either grills or restaurants are appropriate.

Consider (maybe) Westfield, Massachusetts or Windham, Connecticut. Most recent in NJ was a very long time ago. NY was Kobalt.

Also available: THE THREE STATE CHALLENGE (a BAC exclusive). Fly from Groton, Connecticut to Fisher's Island, New York then to Westerly, Rhode Island. You have landed in three states but have only flown 17 miles. Attaboy certificates awarded for doing it.

Tom Corcoran
A little research shows only 3 places to eat of any kind on Fishers island.

Are there better option at Waverly or Groton?

Sounds like a fun event to try for.

Fisher's Island is not a great choice for food.
Westerly and Groton have restaurants within a mile of the airport.

If Bob decides on East Hampton, I will reach an agreement with the authorities and Beech Aero Club will pay the landing fees.
All Regional Directors have a small budget that is discretionary for these purposes.

Tom Corcoran

Anyone want to suggest some Saturday dates, post 09/07, with Sunday as Rain Dates? I will then work on East Hampton and a Roach Coach.

Greenwood Lake has a restaurant and could be an option as does Blairstown.

Bob

Anyone want to suggest some Saturday dates, post 09/07, with Sunday as Rain Dates? I will then work on East Hampton and a Roach Coach.

Greenwood Lake has a restaurant and could be an option as does Blairstown.

Bob
Did Greenwood Lake get the new restaurant open yet? Wasn't open when I was last there.

Blairstown has the runway cafe which has good food but is small.

Keep it simple.
We do picnics too.
We can bring our own lunch.
Just getting together and some hangar talk suffices.
If we are near a restaurant or one within Uber range, we are fine.

Bob Staab, What's available at Sussex?

Note: Some of us are leaving early for BACFest so 9/07/19 may limit attendance.
Even if only two members get together it is a good fly-in.

Tom Corcoran

Back