Is this what fly-ins are like?

Transponders and hence ADSb is not required in Class D Airspace. Both are required in over or u Der class B and C.

in Class D, A radio is required as you have to be “in communication” with the tower however I have used a cell phone and call to tower o moved aircraft to a class D airspace airport with an I open radio. 

Although it can be approved and scheduled (each occurrence) it is not always granted. I have gone into Islip’s Class C without a working radio but there were a lot of requirements.

I doubt that any class b would allow it, at least not here on the East Coast.

I can’t see any excuse to not a least hav a hand held radio on board. If you can afford to fly you should be able to at least afford that.

rkittine said
Transponders and hence ADSb is not required in Class D Airspace. Both are required in over or u Der class B and C.

in Class D, A radio is required as you have to be “in communication” with the tower however I have used a cell phone and call to tower o moved aircraft to a class D airspace airport with an I open radio. 

Although it can be approved and scheduled (each occurrence) it is not always granted. I have gone into Islip’s Class C without a working radio but there were a lot of requirements.

I doubt that any class b would allow it, at least not here on the East Coast.

I can’t see any excuse to not a least hav a hand held radio on board. If you can afford to fly you should be able to at least afford that.

I completely agree with you on that last point. US airspace is just too busy to not have a radio available if not installed. 

Back