Hillsboro, Ohio fly-in (HOC), March 2-4

rgschmi

Around The Moon
East Central Region Ohio Fly-in, March 2-4, 2007

Spring is around the corner, and to kick off the fly-in season. Dan Kirby is hosting a fly-in at Hillsboro, Ohio (HOC) Friday, March 2nd, through Sunday, March 4th, with rain dates of March 9th through March 11th.

Here is the agenda so far, subject to change:

Friday March 2 (9).

Friday arrivals will meet for dinner, beverages, and swapping lies. Transportation to hotel will be provided.

Saturday March 3 (10).

Breakfast: Continental breakfast at the hotel or on your own.

10:15-10:30 - Bus to Hangar 6. For Saturday arrivals, Hangar 6 is on the field at Hillsboro (HOC).

10:15-11:45 - Tour of Hangar 6, an FAA-certified Repair Station, that specializes in post-accident airframe and power plant repair.

11:45-12:45 - Lunch at Hangar 6.

12:45-1:30 - Bus to General Electric

1:30-4:30 Tour of the General Electric Jet Engine Test Facility, where they test the big airliner engines. Most testing is done in cool weather, so hope for a cool, crisp CAVU day! If we are lucky, we might get to watch them shoot recently deceased chickens into a running engine to test the engine's ability to ingest a large bird in flight. No chicken salad for lunch today! General Electric is a secure facility, so all attendee's names must be submitted prior to the tour. When signing up for the fly-in, include names of all attendees, so we can submit them to GE. Persons not on the list will NOT be allowed on the tour.

4:30-5:15 Bus to Hangar 6

5:15-? - Barbecue, beverage and bull session at Hangar 6.

? - Bus to hotel

Sunday March 4 (11).

Breakfast on your own

Departures

Please sign up as a definite, probable or possible as soon as you can, so we have an idea of how large the tour will be. If your status changes, please let us know. Remember, We need names of all persons touring the GE facility.

This event is sponsored by the East Central Region, but as always, BAC members from all regions are invited (encouraged) to attend.

Hotel Information. Hotel accommodations in Hillsboro are somewhat limited as the population is about 6000. The Days Inn is the hotel of choice, with rooms starting at about $55.00. You can check it out at www.daysinn.com, Hillsboro, Ohio; their phone number is 937-393-0299.

I've updated the calendar to reflect that the main events will be on Saturday, not Friday. Early arrivals will still meet Friday for food, beverages and bull.

Please reply to this forum if you are attending. We need the names of all attendees for the GE Test Facility tour.

I am also inviting Musketeer Mail members, so if you may see a duplicate invitation via MM.

Any suggestions for clearing customs if flying in from Ontario CANADA? I didn't see US Customs as a service available at HOC. If my passport is ready in time, we might try to make it down.

Chris and Deb

Bob, I plan on arriving Saturday morning and if my wife comes, we'll stay Saturday night. I'll try to wrangle a few more bodies from 27K to make the trip.

Brad

Check with Don Bateman (his response is just above yours). He's coming from Ontario, and might have some suggestions. I've never crossed the border in that area, as I cross at International Falls (Fort Francis into Ontario).

Hope your passport arrives in time!!!

Chris:

I find the easiest AOE to clear customs is Sandusky, Ohio (KSKY) if you are heading south. You need to call them at least 2 hours before you cross the border to make an appointment. Also you must file a flight plan and be in radio contact with Cleveland ATC before you cross the lake. They are quite friendly there and you can purchase 100 LL.

Don

Bob,

Looks like I may have a contingent coming from 27K.

Definite: Brad Mitchell, Mark Carroll
Probable: Ann Mitchell, Angela Carroll, John Ritchie, Charlie Martin, Cy Hanks, Ron Kloss, Larry Spillman and Harold Lightsey.

Let me know if you need any info other than names for the GE tour.

If anyone's interested in a side trip, Sporty's Pilot Shop is located at Clermont Co. (I69) about 20 minutes west of Hillsboro. Their Sunday hours are from 11 am to 3 pm. I'm sure we've all received their catalog, but this may be an opportunity for some to actually visit.

Brad

Update on the Hillsboro, Ohio fly-in March 3rd.

GE has informed us that they can handle a maximum of 20 people for the tour. In order to insure BAC members, Musketeer Mail members and their guests have priority, we have set a deadline of February 24th to sign up for the tour.

Please sign up ASAP if you are coming! Be sure to include the names of all persons taking the tour. If you will NOT be joining us for lunch and/or the barbecue, please let us know that as well.

An updated count from 27K has 6 definites coming to Hillsboro. Brad and Ann Mitchell and Mark Carroll, John Ritchie and Charlie Martin will arrive Saturday morning between 9:45 & 10:00. Harold Lightsey is coming up Friday afternoon to visit with the avionics shop about some work on his panel. He'll stay Friday night but leave after the GE tour. 1 other "undecided" and 2 others decided to go to Daytona Beach for Bike Week (what's up with that!).

Ann and I have reservations for Saturday night at Days Inn, so anybody else staying over, start practicing your lies! :wink:

Highland or Jefferson County? Also, the link for the Days Inn is not working for me.

Canucks that may have planned to attend the GE tour...might not work out.

I'll try the link and update it if necessary. I'm sorry to say that you must be a US citizen to take the GE tour. 9/11 fallout, I think. I think we have 24 signed up for the tour; now if the weather just holds...

Bob:

March has come in like a lion so we are forced to cancel our trip to Ohio. Freezing rain, blowing snow, etc. - not good for flying.

So the folks at GE can relax, now that the Canadian branch of Al Qaeda is not sending in terrorists to sabotage their engines.

Thanks very much for the invitation; hopefully, we can hook up again sometime this spring or summer when the weather improves.

Don
C-GNIO

I was looking at a possible last minute type plan. One of the few events close enuff for a drive..

Major dumping of snow though & continuing with ~ a freezing rain mix of some kind forecast. :(

I was looking at a possible last minute type plan. One of the few events close enuff for a drive..

Major dumping of snow though & continuing with ~ a freezing rain mix of some kind forecast. :(

Back