Watch the Thunderbirds at Indianapolis Regional Airport (KMQJ) on June 23 or 24, 2012

AVIATOR_

Flight Levels
First day of the air show a success 4 attendees.

The USAF Thunderbirds will be headlining the Indianapolis Air show on June 23 and 24. This is my home airport and I will be at the airport both days. I am inviting all BAC members and guests to join me and watch the airshow from the comfort of my hangar. I will have brats, hot dogs and hamburgers. Along with a variety of sodas. I have a limited amount of folding chairs. My hangar number is 507-10 and my cell is (317)626-2583. Call me if you need help finding the hangar. It is easily accessible from the air show grounds. Feel free to wander over any time, but the grill won't be hot until around 11:00 both days. PT Points will count for either Saturday or Sunday but not both.

Update 6/6/12: They will allow those that fly in and wish to camp may do so by their airplane. They have a portable shower facility (homemade) with two men's and two women's showers. That is available to us.

Update 6/6/12: I have made arrangements with the person in charge to park our planes together prior to the air show. He just needs to know how many to create enough space for the attending aircraft.

The Air Show web site is http://www.indyairshow.com/
Advance tickets are available online.

Last edited:
Update 6/6/12: They will allow those that fly in and wish to camp may do so by their airplane. They have a portable shower facility (homemade) with two men’s and two women’s showers. That is available to us.

Update 6/6/12: I have made arrangements with the person in charge to park our planes together prior to the air show. He just needs to know how many to create enough space for the attending aircraft.

June 22 Friday night they will have a Hot Air Balloon Glow. Weather Permitting.

Tim and Susan looking forward to seeing you again.

Today the Thunderbirds practiced for the upcoming air show. Tomorrow is media day and tomorrow evening is the free Hot Air Ballon Glow.

Directions: Below is a link to the Indy Air Show Map. Yes, it is last year's map it has more detail. To get to my hangar from the GA parking. Follow the perimeter fence (dashed line) West past the temporary FAA conrol Tower. Then North along the fence to the T hangars. My hangar is in row 507 #10 facing South. A red Dodge truck will be parked in front. If you check out the grounds before coming to the hangar take taxiway A2 North. It is the long North South taxiway that goes between the two sets of T hangars. 507 will be the first on your right. A good ground reference is the big blue hangar that sets off by itself on the Eastside of the taxiway. My hangar is due Norh of it. If you have any questions or get lost on the field give me a call (317)626-2583.

http://www.indyairshow.com/media/downloads/2011Map.pdf

What a great day for an air show. Could not ask for any better weather for the first day. Tomorrow looks equally promising. Plenty of brats, hamburgers, soft drinks, and water left for those that are stilling thinking about coming out. In attendance were:

Dan Kirby
Joe Kirby
Ken Wexler
John Redmon

Great show and great time. John is a great host, plenty to eat and drink and a cool hangar to watch all the action. Thunderbirds were magnificent and a special treat for me since I havn't seen them perform since 1963 at Nellis.

Back