Sun 'n Fun Lakeland Linder Airport (KLAL) 2-7 April 2019

cbooton

Climbing to Cruise
Another fun-filled Sun 'n Fun adventure awaits us. Hopefully we should have the opportunity to volunteer in the Type Club Tent this year. I'm currently awaiting direction/information from the Sun 'n Fun staff as to the specifics.

Type Club Tent has been located across the Vintage Aircraft headquarters. Typically WWI replica aircraft are parked in front of the tent. Also, an Ercoupe is parked there also.

Last three years, we've had 10 or more volunteers, but last year they restricted us to seven. Still, it's a great deal: for each day you work at the tent, you get free admission and a free parking pass. Work three or more days and get weekly admission and parking passes. Stand by for specifics.

Our BAC dinner, will be held on Friday, 5 April at 6:00pm at Manny's Chophouse, 5125 S Florida Ave, Lakeland, FL 33813-2513, (863) 940-9924, a couple miles from the airport. This will be the fourth straight year we've held it there. Always fun, good food, service and reasonable prices. They don't typically make reservations, but the manager remembers us and will set aside seating for around 25.

Charley Booton, Sierra, N9143S
SE Regional Director
850-496-6912

Last edited:
Below is the latest/greatest regarding Type Club Tent policy/procedures and BAC dinner plans:

The Type Club Tent is located across the Vintage Aircraft headquarters. WWI replica aircraft are parked in front of the tent. Also, an Ercoupe is usually parked there also. Plus, this year, they're going to mount a huge 4'x20' banner as you exit the flight line which directs you to the Type Club tent. It's historically been a challenge to find the tent.

It's a great venue to meet other type club folks, create friendships and share ideas.

Furthermore, just got word that we can ask for as many as six (6) weekly passes and I'll also pledge for six (6) daily passes. For each day you work at the tent, you get free admission and a free parking pass. Work three or more days and get weekly admission and parking passes. Now, they expect each volunteer to work at least three (3) hours per day. They haven't been as strict in years past, but they plan on limiting pass issue in the future. So, we need to prove that we're pulling our load. During the last three years, we've managed to keep the table staffed all day/every day. Also, as in the past, before you leave, you will be expected to fill out a card annotating when you worked. The SNF staff contends the tent is cramped and space is premium so they plan to limit total volunteers. I will be submitting names of volunteers no later than Friday, 1 March. I've already heard from some of you. Please let me know how many and what days you plan to work so I can post a schedule. Additionally, if you leave early in the week, please turn in your pass to me so others can serve later.
So, expect passes to be recycled throughout the week.

Our BAC dinner, will be held on Friday, 5 April at 6:00pm at Manny's Chophouse, 5125 S Florida Ave, Lakeland, FL 33813-2513, (863) 940-9924, a couple miles from the airport. This will be the fourth straight year we've held it there. Always fun, good food, service and reasonable prices. They don't typically make reservations, but the manager remembers us and will set aside seating for around 25.

If you're interested in volunteering to work at the BAC table, please contact me via email or the BAC website in "Fly-ins" in the "Forum" section.

Thanks,

Charley Booton, Sierra N9143S
SE Regional Director
chazbo_af@mchsi.com

Charlie
Couldn’t remember if you have a B or C model and ran your tail number
Results show your registration expired in 2017
Just thought I would bring to your attention
Fred

Can someone stand inside the tent and take a GPS position, and post it here. I have a perfect record of *not* finding anything I am looking for whenever I am there. I figure with a GPS guidance on my phone there is no way I can't find it, no matter how many ditches and fences I need to get through.

https://d2uowj5bno3yjz.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/22181252/SNF18MAP_NEW_AP.jpg

Hopefully, you're able to cut/paste the above link. It's a fairly busy legend-intensive map. Type-Club tent is located in the lower-right corner of section of D3 on the map. You see a big "W" next to a cloud symbol...that's where it is. Just to the south across the street is a "HQ5" symbol which is the Vintage HQ...as a landmark to vector you while walking around. If that doesn't work, search www.flysnf.org and search "maps" and follow my directions above.

The grounds aren't really all that big. Also, ask the info desk and/or the ticket desk if need be.

So other than the Friday evening dinner will there be an informal meet and greet or anything like that??
Just wondering. I will be there for a few days and would like to say hello.

Haven't planned anything. But the tent is a good gathering location where folks sporadically drop by...good excuse to get out of the sun...get some good traffic throughout the week. Most folks don't show until the weekend, so the Friday dinner is the best time to gather.

Just found a nice shout out to the Beech Aero Club on the Commander Owners Group (COG) from Sun N Fun.

Great job BAC family!

Adopted for a Night 1 day ago

Hit Sun n Fun late Friday morning, secured the plane and set-up the tent / area. Nice lady in a van was waiting to ‘assist’ with our camping permit and daily armband tickets for the show.

Work buddy who’s Slowdowner was down with an alternator problem rode down with me. He also volunteers at the “Type Tent” with the Beechcraft table spreading the word and answering questions ref the Beechcrafts. Nothing fancy but it is out of the sun.

The Beech volunteers were shutting down their table and going out for dinner and invited me along. In seven years attending Sun n Fun I’d never been off the Lakeland airport proper so I jumped at the chance to NOT have to eat a warm, overpriced, stale hotdog at the Sun n Fun Tiki Bar / buffet line.

Long story short;
The Beech folks took me in to include the tab at the bar and dinner and made me feel VERY at home. I’d hope we (COG) would do the same . . .

BAC sun n fun.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Gary !!
Just found a nice shout out to the Beech Aero Club on the Commander Owners Group (COG) from Sun N Fun.

Great job BAC family!

Adopted for a Night 1 day ago

Hit Sun n Fun late Friday morning, secured the plane and set-up the tent / area. Nice lady in a van was waiting to ‘assist’ with our camping permit and daily armband tickets for the show.

Work buddy who’s Slowdowner was down with an alternator problem rode down with me. He also volunteers at the “Type Tent” with the Beechcraft table spreading the word and answering questions ref the Beechcrafts. Nothing fancy but it is out of the sun.

The Beech volunteers were shutting down their table and going out for dinner and invited me along. In seven years attending Sun n Fun I’d never been off the Lakeland airport proper so I jumped at the chance to NOT have to eat a warm, overpriced, stale hotdog at the Sun n Fun Tiki Bar / buffet line.

Long story short;
The Beech folks took me in to include the tab at the bar and dinner and made me feel VERY at home. I’d hope we (COG) would do the same . . .

View attachment 10150

Back