SE Region Potential Fly-ins

cbooton

Climbing to Cruise
1. I would still like to pick a weekend, perhaps in August, for a gathering at Peach State Aerodrome (GA2), Williamson, GA...about an hour south of Atlanta. I planned for one in June during their annual Vintage Day, but I was out of town. Don Nesbitt volunteered to honcho the event, but the weather was ugly that weekend.

Don, would you like to give another shot and pick out a convenient weekend? If not, could I count on another volunteer?

It's a wonderful airport, flown in there several times. Rwy 13/31, relatively smooth sod, 2,400' x 100', 950 ft AGL, downhill to the NW.

The owner, CEO, President, Director Ron Alexander is a retired Delta Captain and gaga about old airplanes. The Candler Field Museum is a living museum located in rural Williamson GA where old aeroplanes still fly (to include a newly restored Curtiss JN-4 Jenny...one of only six in existence), antique cars still drive and the sights and sounds of the 1920s era come to life every day. He has basically recreated the terminal and motif of Atlanta's first commercial airport, Candler Field, circa late '20s. It features a wonderful museum, great restaurant (Barnstormer Grill) among other attractions.

It's located about an hour south of Atlanta and close to Griffin-Spalding County Airport (6A2) if you prefer a paved runway alternative.

Several hotel chains are located in Griffin, but I would imagine most can fly to/from same day.

I’ve spoken with Ron recently and he's looking forward to meeting our august group. It's a great environment embraced by the community and full of airplane nuts like us. I highly encourage y'all to check it out.

There are no "hold harmless" or "covenant not to sue" paperwork required, but Ron strongly recommends reviewing local procedures by accessing his website (http://www.peachstateaero.com/) and clicking "Airport Operations" from the home page.

2. Also, later in the fall, our distinguished Prez, John Persinger and myself are thinking about a fly-in to Tullahoma, TN to coincide with Beech Party 2016 at the Beechcraft Heritage Museum, 12-16 Oct. The website says:

"The Beech Party is the museum's annual fly-in and has aircraft from all across the nation particpate.
This year a Starship will be flown in for the very first time in our history! There will be Staggerwings, Beech 18's, Bonanza's, Barons, Dukes, King Airs and many other one of a kind aircraft (darn tootin’...how bout those Baby Beeches to adorn the ramp as well!).
The Beech Party will have a variety of aviation seminars and a host of avaition exhibitors from across the Southeast United States.
Beech Party is a four day event and requires registration. A $40.00 day pass is required to enjoy the many activities on campus."

I’ve heard it’s a great museum and co-located at KTHA, Tullahoma Regional Airport/William Northern Field. The area is also full of a lot of historical and cultural attractions...not to mention the George Dickel Distillery, my personal favorite and on my bucket list!

It’s posted on the BAC Events calendar and sounds like a tailor-made event for our airplanes. Let’s try to get a goodly number of us on the ramp and show ‘em what REAL meat-and-potato Beechcraft look like!

Fly safely and hope to see our airplanes crowd a ramp soon!

Cheers,

Charley Booton, B24R Sierra, N9143S
Southeast Regional Director

I decided to go ahead and plan on 27,28 August for the GA2 fly-in...see details in para 1 above. Don Nesbitt, if you could spread the word among your region and/or help out, that'll be great. Got a couple probables already. I'll probably just fly out and back Saturday.

No need to make this a real formalized event...plenty to see on site and we could gather for lunch at the Barnstormer Grill.

6A2, Griffin-Spalding nearby if you'd rather have pavement. Perhaps I could scrounge transpo to/from GA2...about 15 min drive. I know some folks out there that could help out.

I'll post via private message, FB and on Constant Contact as well.

Should be fun. Fly safely.

Charley Booton, SE Director, N9143S

Looks like the weather should be awesome in the SE for the weekend. I'm gonna plan on about a 1000 arrival on Saturday 27 August. I'll bring the banner. Perhaps plan on lunch around 1200. Looks like I have about 4-5 folks that have responded with "definite maybes". Let me know...should be a lot of fun. I plan on wheels up about 15-1600ish.

Just got word that GA2 President/owner Ron Alexander will have a tour set up for us BACers on Sat, 27 Aug. As mentioned, I plan to arrive around 10-1030 and leave later in the afternoon. We'll have a BAC-financed lunch at the on-field Barnstormer Grill. See y'all there. So far, the weather looks good...fly safely and ensure you review the "Airport Operations" site on Peach State website as mentioned above.

Charley Booton

Back