Rodent Roundup Recap - the best yet South Central Fly In

j_w_bruce

Orbiting Earth
Aircraft and people attending the Rodent Roundup at Hicks Field and Meecham. I believe that the information here is 98% accurate, please don't hold it against me if I goofed up on your name or something. We had a great time, introduced the Beech Aero Club to some that did not know about it, and toured some of Fort Worth's coolest aviation digs.

Aircraft and People:
1) 8748M - 1963 Musketeer owned by Keith Greene of Alma Arkansas. Great looking Musketeer. If there was an award for the earliest production Musketeer, this neat looking 1963 would have definitely won. At the same time, his new interior was only DAYS old. Also, this is Keith’s third Musketeer. He also has a sierra, and owned a sport in the past.

2) 594LB - 1964 Musketeer powered by Contential IO-346. Possibly the best known musketeer in the area, as virtually all of its excursions are recorded by Bo and Sandra Boggs in Bo’s journal ‘Flights of the Mouse’.

3) 8884M - 1964 Musketeer powered by Contential IO-346. Owners Tammy and David Womack. David and Tammy drove out to the fly in, and it looked like great fun, so they decided to go fetch the mouse and they returned a short time later with another beautifully restored Musketeer. Welcome David and Tammy, hope you enjoyed the Fly In.

4) 3518R - 1965 Musketeer powered by Contential IO-346. Owned by Jessica Boldt and Kurt Buchert. Beautiful paint job, about 3 months old.

5) 613AW - 1966 Musketeer powered by Contential IO-346. Owner Richard Auld. Richard had not heard yet heard of the only type club for Musketeers. We hope to see a lot more of Richard in the future.

6) 5766V - 1966 Musketeer III sport of Jay and Deanna Bruce, sporting a new vacuum pump (or perhaps the old busted one depending on if you saw it on Friday or Saturday...). Deanna Bruce snapped the photographs uploaded into the Rodent Roundup Folder.

7) 6994Q - 1968 Musketeer of Rodney and Denise Boyd. To date, this is the only Musketeer that I have ‘Bac Seat’ time in.

8) 7612R - 1969 Aerobatic Musketeer of Mark Miller. Sporting new upholstery and radios.

9) 6077N - 1969 Musketeer Owned by Miles Hoover of Altus, Oklahoma. Miles lead the flight of 5 from FTW over to Hicks. Miles is also Sales Manager for the Lucsombe Aircraft Corporation (working to bring back the FAA certified Luscombe 11E). Copilot was future musketeer owner Richard.

10) 6699X - 1980 Sundowner belonging to Al O’Donnell who arrived with copilot Garth Vaas. 6699X was mistaken for Dave Buttrams airplane for a few moments, as apparently Beech used the Baby Blue (or Powder Blue) color instead of White for the base color on some 1980's Sundowners. We soon discovered the errors of our ways and welcomed Al and Garth aboard.

11) 18925 - the ‘unwitting 11th musketeer’. It was in view of our camera, so were counting it. Too bad we didn’t see it’s owner at the airport, we would have gladly offered a burger and a seat in front of the fan..., maybe next time.

12) Late afternoon arrival, Bill Sciscoe, representing his 1974 Sport that he is rebuilding just 10 miles north of Hicks Field. Bill has been a BAC member for about a month, and is Regional Sales Director for Bombardia Aircraft. Welcome aboard, Bill!

Ground Support and Transportation Services provided by Bob Lavery, Bobby Lavery, and Mike Lavery. No Musketeers were sneaking into Meecham while these guys were on watch. Bobby and Mike also worked ladder patrol while Deanna was trying to get all the planes in one photo. Big thanks again Bob and crew. We want to see that Tri Pacer taking up a lot more hanger space next time we are in town...

We toured the Vintage Flying Museum. This is a museum dedicated to restoring and FLYING aircraft. They have a B17, and two Twin Beech 18's, plus lots of other aircraft including some jet fighters. There is another museum located in the same complex. It is the OV-10 museum, preserving the history of OV-10's and OV-2's as they were used in Vietnam and the first Gulf War. You can find information on when and where OV-10's went down, and their pilots stories. The OV-10 guys also have a F-4 Phantom that they showed us. Back over at Hicks, we parked the Musketeers, and Mark fired up the grill. Hanger flying was the order of the day, and it looked to me that a great time was had by all. A formal lecture on maintenance topics gave way to a more informal hanger flying atmosphere. Maintenance topics, weather issues, and lots of other stuff was discussed and the hanger was flown a lot. I learned a lot about Contential powered Musketeers. First off, even though the engine was made for one year, depending on when the planes were made, your Contential powered plane was any of a 1964, 1965, or 1966, who knew.

I want to extend my thanks to everyone who made this flyin a really special event.

Jay Bruce, South Central Regional Director, Beech Aero Club.

Back