Pot Luck Fly-In a Triple Success in Vermont

corcoran

Orbiting Earth
Larry Perry, Airboss of Vermont, organized the November 16th BAC fly-in at his home airport (KVSF) Hartness Sate in Springfield, Vermont where he is airport manager. For this he gets 100 President Trophy points. If possible, we should give him a thousand more for putting on a good event.

The corn chowder and chili were superb as well as the traditional Vermont hospitality. The day was spectacular with CAVU and mostly smooth air for being in the mountains. BAC even got some local TV exposure.

Attendees could opt for a glider ride (I did) under the careful watch of soaring professionals. My ride was to the top of 3000' Mt. Ascutny where we separated from the tow plane and circled the summit in search of thermals. Boy, is that a quiet ride. I talked to pilot Water Spiedeck without need for headsets or intercom. There is a television transmission tower at the top of the mountain and we got to wave to a brave sole who was at the top of it alone presumably making repairs.

Final points for the fly-in went to:
Larry Perry 100pts for organizing
Wayne Hansen 100pts for flying 97 kms from KSFZ Rhode Island
Tom Corcoran 102pts for flying 102 kms from 1B9 Massachusetts

Mt. Ascutny, Vermont Tom Corcoran's glider ride. Very quiet. The wind noise as you pitch down gets louder and is first disconcerting.
Note the tow plane and how close we fly to the television tower at the top of the mountain. There is a man working on the tower about 95% up.

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

Attachments

• emerson aviation laconia airview.jpg
    emerson aviation laconia airview.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back