Monticello (KMXO) Fly-in

a2324pilot

Orbiting Earth
Is there interest in doing a group arrival at the Monticello Municipal Airport (KMXO) Fly-in breakfast on August 12th? If would be fun to get the (4) northeast Iowa Super III's together for a group photo. My thought would be to meet at Marion (C17) and do a formation flight to Monticello. We could cross mid-field then spread out land. It's from 7 a.m. – 12:30 p.m, so maybe meet at Marion at 8:00AM.

Reply if you are interested, or have suggestions.

Great idea, Denis! We are interested, and the formation flight sounds like fun (and challenging)!

Just a suggestion - since at least two of us are based at KCID, would that be a viable option for the join up spot? I'm not sure where Kyle is based, and I don't remember who the fourth SuperIII driver is.

CB

Last edited:
Tom, I am glad you are interested. I think Kyle is at Marion, but I am open to any plan that is agreeable with everyone. We would probably have to get permission from CID tower for a group departure, but they aren't that busy that they couldn't accommodate us.
The fourth super III is my son Jim's at KDBQ. He is willing to come and meet us.

It my daughters birthdy, but I think the festivities are in the afternoon. I think I can do it. CID would be convenient. They don’t mind group departures or arrivals.

I'd be interested, but I think one of my partners has the Sundowner reserved. I was born and raised in Monticello, and I've flown there many times.

The more the merrier. Sounds like it's a go, I will put it on the calendar. Just need to complete some planning. I will have to land at CID or C17 either way, so that doesn't matter to me. Is there a place we can park at CID that will avoid charges from the FBO?

The more the merrier. Sounds like it's a go, I will put it on the calendar. Just need to complete some planning. I will have to land at CID or C17 either way, so that doesn't matter to me. Is there a place we can park at CID that will avoid charges from the FBO?

Northwest ramp is always open, and no fees that I know of. Not really an FBO on that side of 13/31, just a flight school. Access to restrooms and wifi if Dave G or I am with you to let you back onto the ramp. Some have been known to pin the door open with a chock for a quick comfort break. Brand new self-serve pumps on that ramp too - only about $.50 higher /gal than surrounding small fields. KVTI and KAWG are showing $4.20 today, with KMXO at $4.75 and KCID SS at $4.80.

CB

Northwest ramp is always open, and no fees that I know of. Not really an FBO on that side of 13/31, just a flight school. Access to restrooms and wifi if Dave G or I am with you to let you back onto the ramp. Some have been known to pin the door open with a chock for a quick comfort break. Brand new self-serve pumps on that ramp too - only about $.50 higher /gal than surrounding small fields. KVTI and KAWG are showing $4.20 today, with KMXO at $4.75 and KCID SS at $4.80.

CB

So I can just tell ground I want to taxi to the SS pump and I will be in the right place?

I'd be interested, but I think one of my partners has the Sundowner reserved. I was born and raised in Monticello, and I've flown there many times.

Bob, Just tell your partner that they would really enjoy going to Monticello and you would split the gas with them.

So I can just tell ground I want to taxi to the SS pump and I will be in the right place?
just tell them taxi to the West Ramp.

I hope to be there with you guys, depending on some family commitments. CleoBen is right behind my hangar, and my RV-9A project is there.

After you land when they ask you to say parking, respond “west ramp.” I’m sure self-serve pump would work; I’ve just never tried it.

Cb

Looking forward to seeing everyone! And the missus will be tagging along in the right seat, hopefully taking photos the whole way! :)

CB

I’m in. I’m based in Marion but it’s fine with me to meet at CID as well.

Kyle, If you are still interested, your don't need to fly to CID, we can just text you when we take off and meet you in the air since we will be going right by Marion. Jim is going to meet us at Monticello w/N3630Q since it is between KDBQ and KCID.

Last edited:
Back