Mid Atlantic Region coming events.

paulwerbin

Headed to Andromeda
There are a few events coming up of interest to you Mid Atlantic folks. I know we need to get these on the calendar soon, but here are some events to save time for in your flying schedule.
May 31 and June 1,2014 will be the Virginia Festival of Flight at Suffolk, VA KSFQ. http://virginiaflyin.org/. This event offers camping by your plane, air shows, static displays, food, story telling, and learning seminars including some wings credit opportunities. Come see Alan's paint job!
And on June 14 at Dulles Airport Udvar Hazey Center of the Smithsonian Air and Space museum will be the Become a pilot day. http://becomeapilot.si.edu I expect to have one Sierra on display at the event which attracts 10,000 to 20,000 visitors historically. In the past a few of us have met and taken part in meeting many interested pilots and non pilots to talk about our flying. While you can't bring your plane to the museum you can have some fun flying into Dulles (KIAD) anyway on a day where us little guys can out number the big boys when we taxi out to leave!
These are both events that have attracted a number of BACers in the past and I hope we can generate a strong showing.

I won't be able to make the Virginia Regional Festival of Flight this year. I would like to schedule at least one fly-in to be held in every state represented in the M-A Region. Those states are DE, MD, WV, VA, NC & SC. If anyone has any ideas or airports they would like to visit, let me know. I'm looking for ideas!

the prange musketeer.jpghttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Beech-Aero-Club/124755288112 Thanks to everyone that made the Young Eagles event today. To think so many people (kids, parents and grandparents) were able to get their first ever flight in a Baby Beech was amazing.8 planes on the ramp and 4 of them BAC planes with 2 other ones on standby is really awesome. Personally seeing these people light up and hearing all you guys on the radio was something else. All of you out there that donate to Angel flight,Pilots n Paws, Pilots for Christ ,Eaa, Commemorative Air Force, Civil Air patrol ,or just come to a fellow pilots need Thank You.

Ps .My favorite comment of the day from one of the long time Young Eagle Pilots .Mr.John Zinkus (aka the Gatekeeper) As he is teaching the kids about the airplane before their first flight we (actually David Prange overhears) "If you don't learn anything about the plane you are not getting in". All his kids made it in the plane and had a big smile when they got out. It was nice seeing George Phillips who was happy to receive a Beech Babe shirt. I think Fly in season has finally begun in the Mid Atlantic. Hope to see the rest of the membership soon.

Attachments

• the gatekeeper.jpg
    the gatekeeper.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 26
  • young eagle father and son (Tom and Connor).jpg
    young eagle father and son (Tom and Connor).jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 27
  • three musketeers.jpg
    three musketeers.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Just a reminder that this weekend is the Virginia Festival of Flight at Suffolk, Virginia KSFQ. I know that a few are heading down to visit. The weekend weather looks great, so a good time to visit tidewater VA.

One more time! Dulles Airport Smithsonian National Air and Space event is this Saturday June 14. Really a fun day.

Paul,

I'll miss the Smithsonian event Saturday; I'm giving EAA Young Eagle flights Saturday at Winchester, VA. Display of your Sierra at the Smithsonian gives visibility to our fleet. Represent! I highly recommend this event to anyone that can make it Saturday.

Bob

Last edited:
Paul ,I am going to try to get out to see you. Are you in at all on any of the Fourth activities ? I have posters and flyers for the golf /Fly in movie. Do you mind displaying one and having some pamphlets handy ? If you can give me a call when you get a chance we are ready to go LIVE with the CFI corner you have been waiting for years to do. 125 members can connect in via computer or phone line for a question answer period, video demonstration , computer screen share from all over the globe. We had our first board meeting with it the other night . It also gives the ability to see everyone face to face (if you want to :) ) 703-723-0986 or 855-we fly beech x 703

Paul,

Let me know who made the Suffolk Fly-In and who makes it to the Smithsonian. I racing my car on Saturday so I won't make it. I'm Heading to Haiti on the 17th so I will be incommunicado for awhile.

Alan

One more time! Dulles Airport Smithsonian National Air and Space event is this Saturday June 14. Really a fun day.

I made it, but didn't manage to connect with Paul while I was there. Stupid cell phone died on me and I did not stay late enough to see Paul's presentation. One of the bad things about taking someone with you to an aviation event if they are not a pilot, they tend to get bored easily. I only saw one Mouse, a Sundowner, on the flight line. Where was everyone? On a brighter note, my friend's '66 Cherokee 180 won second in the contemporary category.

air and space flight line.jpgair and space wing walking.jpgair and space 6142.jpgair and space  614.jpgair and space double trouble.jpgairandspace6143.jpgAir and Space was fun today.One BAC plane on display with 5 members present !!!! Nice seeing everyone.

Last edited:
This was great fun. A 777 captain stopped in to talk about his 200 Sierra hours. The preliminary count was 18,000 guests. Probably about 50 kids in my plane for photos. I have a few more pics I will try to get loaded. Thanks to the BACers that stopped by. Busy season for Mid-Atlantic region. Women can fly event next week, then the amazing Movie, Bryce, Cadddyshack weekend that John Persinger set up!

Back