Lunch in the Rockies - Sept 9th - Salida, Colorado (KANK) - noon

trumpet nelson

Around The Moon
A GREAT WARM-UP FLIGHT BEFORE BACFEST !!

Saturday morning arrivals welcome for a “swap stories session” at trumpet’s hangar.  Our lunch activity will start about 11:45 am.  Lots of choices in town for food.

This is the same airport we will use in May 2024 for our BAC*Lite event, so it is a great opportunity for any flat-landers east of the rockies to experience a relatively easy trip into the mountains.  See the attachments for some guidance.

Bonus:  If your plans / weather make it best to depart the next day (Sunday),  I will have overnight accommodations for you at our vacation homes nearby.   Easy Peezy.    Amen Mt. Homes (coloradocabinrentals.com)   This will also allow you to sample of our BAC*Lite 2024 location.

Location:   Salida, Colorado airport   KANK   About 100 miles west of Colorado Springs.

Date:    Saturday, September 9, 2023  (as always …. weather dependent)

Time:   lunch at noon

Contact:   Nelson Amen   210-834-1991   nelson.p.amen@gmail.com

View attachment Flight-into-Salida-ANK-BAC.docroutes-to-Salida03.jpgAmen-hangar-at-KANK.jpgIMG_5510abc.jpg

Salida is an easy into or out of from Pueblo KPUB if you're coming in from the east flatlands.  Plenty of maneuvering room around the airport to get up there and head out or descend to landing.  If you haven't enjoyed Trumpet's hospitality then you're missing out, this will be a great event.

Salida-Airport.jpg

I wish we could be there but I'll have a house full of family (wait a minute, they'll have been here almost a week and I'll need to get away from them to avoid causing harm...).

Team,

No participants have posted here.  If you plan to join me for lunch, I will need a call or text (210-834-1991).  If not, I will plan to stay at my cabin up in the mountains and enjoy some maintenance work!

No worries.  Maybe next time,

Nelson Amen

Nelson,

This wasn't in the cards this year, but I'm happy to have discovered someone located where you are.  I'm based in Oklahoma City, but I ended up in Buena Vista after a backpacking trip last year about the time I was thinking about getting started on my PPL.  Flying into KAEJ or somewhere nearby has been something I've dreamed about while laboring over ground school and exam prep.  So at some point, I'll probably hit you up for some tips about the area.  I figure I'll fly in somewhere easy, maybe just before the mountains start, and find a good CFI to give me a few lessons on mountain flying and density altitude.

I'm envious of your views!

Barrett

A23-24 (CSP); MA-295

Barrett, there are a number of good mountain flying instructors, and a number of less than good mountain flying instructors.  When you are ready for this, check out https://coloradopilots.org/ and see the Mountain Flying tab drop down menu for some good instructors, great options and information.  The CPA mountain flying ground school is one of the best, so check out their schedule and plan to fit that in.  Also https://www.flycolorado.org/ has plenty of good information.

In my Sundowner I could get from the eastern side of the Rockies, through the mountains and to the western side at 9,500 (which may sound high but really isn't, especially for a Super).  It just takes some instruction and then the experience, which is why the CPA mountain flying after the ground school is great.

Enjoy your journey!

IMG_1319.JPGIMG_1324.JPG

Great info, Michael!  Thank you!  It makes me happy to think about a trans-rockies flight.  And hat tip to another beech aero lawyer - you're living my dream practicing law in the rockies.  

Barrett,

Thanks for your post in this forum.  Check out my tips for flying into Salida (it is a Word Doc " Flight-into-Salida ...") that I included in my #1 post.

You will have another chance to enjoy a flight into Salida, CO during BACLite 2024  (May 17, 2024).  I will be starting a new thread in this forum soon.

trumpet nelson 

IMG_6370ab-1.jpg

Back