Land on the Ice Runway in New Hampshire February 8

corcoran

Orbiting Earth
Ron Cribbie, Airboss of New Hampshire is keeping tabs on this annual signature event for the Northeast Region.

You will be landing on the frozen seaplane runway at Alton Bay on Lake Winnipesauke, New Hampshire

Keep watch for particulars (such as - Is the ice thick enough?)
Identifier is B18 which is a recognized airport. (Runways are 1-19 with runway 1 preferred)
Nearest official weather is Laconia NH (KLCI) Nearest TAF is Concord NH (KCON)

The frozen runway story and video is at:
http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2010/January/1/The-iceway-is-open.aspx

During the season there is an "ATIS" number to call. It is 603 875-3498 which is a recording made daily by Paul LaRochelle volunteer airport manager.

Save the date February 8, 2014.

Tom Corcoran

Last edited:
I can see flung 900nm to do this! Not sure I can do it this year but will do it when I can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well we feel the same way about it.
My plane goes into annual in Jan, I hope for the best, but you never know. I have a friend at work that fly's a J3 cub. He says there are lake ice runways that pop up from time to time in his home state of Wisconsin. He is keeping a look out for me. If he finds one i will post you the info. Mostly around fishing lodges.

Well we feel the same way about it.
My plane goes into annual in Jan, I hope for the best, but you never know. I have a friend at work that fly's a J3 cub. He says there are lake ice runways that pop up from time to time in his home state of Wisconsin. He is keeping a look out for me. If he finds one i will post you the info. Mostly around fishing lodges.

He's aware that a musketeer is a bit of a porker compared to a J3, right? I'd only go if I were sure that 182's have been using it too.

I have lived up north for several years and done a little ice fishing myself, The real danger is how long the runway is. would want a little more room to slow down than his plane. I have been talking about riding up together, his dad lives up in the middle of wi somewhere and has a airport near his house.

"The Ice Is Ready"

Ron Cribbie, Airboss of New Hampshire, reports to us on Saturday January 25 that the ice is now in use and ready for February 8th. TC

"The ice runway has been open for about a week. The ice is solid. There are several events on the lake over the next few weeks, 2/2- 2/3 Northeast ice hockey tournament, 2/8-2/9 Laconia Dog sled race, and The Meredith Ice fishing Derby. A small town of BOB houses pops up on Meredith Bay."

Also, here is the (recorded) contact phone number for latest details on B18 603-875-3498. Ron

Back