IWM Duxford Fly-In 6 July 2024

Jerry N

Climbing to Cruise
One week to go to the Fly-In to the Imperial War Museum Duxford on 6 July and recognising that this coming week sees the Beech Aero Club mark its 20th Anniversary or Birthday. Currently we have interest expressed by 6 members of whom, weather and work permitting, 5 hope to arrive by air with their Musketeers. Ruth and I look forward to seeing folk there and the possibility of witnessing some war bird flying. Just a reminder, PPR is required for inbound flights along with a telephone briefing from Duxford Tower (+44 (0) 1223833376 ask for Millie but all can help. It is not a given but the hope is that we will be parked together on the Eastern Apron but this may have to change if there is significant war bird flying on the day.

In view of the changeable British Weather, we will look to arrive on Friday evening and stay in the, relatively, close-by Holiday Inn Express so should guarantee our presence for the following day. We will bring with us BAC 20th Anniversary T-Shirts for attendees!

Fly (and drive) Safe

Last edited:
N39TA at Duxford ready for tomorrow’s fly-in having braved a bumpy but fine day yesterday ahead of today’s rain and low cloud. Look forward to seeing fellow Musketeers. Missed G-AYYU yesterday, departing just before its unscheduled arrival into Leeds East. If Saturday is like yesterday, we saw Spitfire, floatplanes and a Yak formation display and a Hunter in the circuit whilst we were coming in to land. Forecast showers apart, promises to be a good day. N39TA is parked on the eastern apron, see you there!

Vampire, B-17, Antarctica Survey Aircraft all nearby. Tried not to park next to a Cirrus, BAC Birthday or not, one has some standards….

Attachments

• IMG_2019.jpeg
    IMG_2019.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2018.jpeg
    IMG_2018.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2016.jpeg
    IMG_2016.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2014.jpeg
    IMG_2014.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 10
LOL... I have had my Parking Spot (Covered Parking/Assigned Location) and now a Cirrus has moved in right beside of me... Looking at them side by side, I think the Sierra is a much better looking and designed plane! IMHO

Returned safely from Duxford, yesterday evening.

Fair to say, British Weather 1, Fly-In 0 (on the day).

Stuart Morris drove down from N Yorkshire (AOG) and we had arrived early to avoid disappointment. Rain and strong winds precluded getting out the banner and challenged our other potential attendees to have the courage to say ‘not today’. So, although we were but 3, no Musketeers were harmed in the making of this Fly-In, and that’s as it should be!

The weather started to show proper signs of improvement in mid afternoon and N39TA lifted off just after 1600 hrs local after a DH Vampire, Buchon Bf109, Hawker Hurricane and ‘Sally B’ B17G took to the air. The flow of departures only being interrupted by the arrival of a Spitfire after the Hurricane. N39TA had,therefore, a host of potential critics/witnesses to hand when it lined up and left for an uneventful and solidly VMC trip home where……..IMG_20240706_154103349_Original.jpegIMG_20240706_153957330_Original.jpegIMG_20240706_154346364_Original.jpegIMG_20240706_153950071_Original.jpegyet another Spitfire was refuelling….Maybe it was a warbird day. When we left IWM Duxford there was no sign of any other GA activity there.

Although you can’t see the B17 fully in one photo, at least our IO360 doesn’t smoke that much (and the pops and bangs it’s engines gave off were evident initially for all to hear!). That the Vampire features behind Ruth and the nose cowling in the picture above is purely coincidental and not an allusion to phlebotomy.

We’ll see if we can try again to meet up this summer, if it arrives, at Leeds East but on an ad-hoc basis. Meanwhile we much appreciated the chance to meet up with another of the friendly BAC family and look forward to help with/sharing some flying.
That’s a result in anyone’s book. As far as the football went, sorry Switzerland.

Anyone visiting IWM Duxford and looking for accommodation and restaurant recommendations, please feel free to PM us.

Last edited:
LOL.. Them Radials do Smoke a lot on startup... Primarily due to the Bottom Cylinders! They are beautiful machines and History not one of us should forget. Thanks for sharing!

Jerry, I have never seen a picture of your Sierra, so thanks for posting. It looks to be a fine specimen of the retractable Musketeer type!
There just isn’t much one can do about the weather.

Jerry, Im sorry for the bad weather, you know I couldn't fly in because I'm on the other side of the pond right now.
Anyway, thanks for the effort and I wish you both nice flights from now on for the rest of the season, although you didn't say, you're also sorry for Germany...

Indeed, thread drift warning…..Also sorry for France (a little bit) and hope to be sorry for the Dutch tomorrow night.

Weather currently not looking very good for another week here in Blighty so a rapid re-run is off the cards. I’ll send on the banner to Germany soon, where it might be drier.

Last edited:
Back