Icy runway might be dicey!

corcoran

Orbiting Earth
The SAD NEWS about the ICE RUNWAY in NEW HAMPSHIRE

BAC Fly-In is CANCELLED due to thin ice.

Alton Bay on Lake Winnepesauke NH (Bravo One Eight)

That's the good news.
Here's the real news... The ice is not ready as of 1/22/20.
The State of New Hampshire DOT requires a minimum depth of 12" of frozen water.
We're not quite there.

Call the recording which states conditions at 603 875-3498.

Sundowner on ice.jpg

Tom Corcoran 781 843-4321

Last edited:
Doctor Alan White gives a second perspective to landing-on-ice.
"Landing on ice is not for everyone."
Neither is aerobatic flight, instrument flying or using short grass runways.
We couldn't/shouldn't judge each other.
I don't like roller coasters.

Alan White though might be over-doing it with a personal minimum of 24".
New Hampshire DOT is being overly cautious with only a 12" minimum.
I flew a Musketeer into the ocean in 2003 and it wasn't winter so I got wet.
See "Musketeers Do Not Float" if you can find it.

Thank you Doctor White for the opportunity for me to rant on smart individual minimums.
Now, what are you doing on February 8th?
Fly up near Laconia, New Hampshire. We know how to enjoy the cold... and snow... and wind... and heating bills... and heavy outerwear... and...

Tom Corcoran

There are several Y-Tube videos demonstrating what can go wrong landing at Alton Bay on the ice. Oh but it is very tempting just to say that you have done it.

Doctor Alan White gives a second perspective to landing-on-ice.
"Landing on ice is not for everyone."
Neither is aerobatic flight, instrument flying or using short grass runways.
We couldn't/shouldn't judge each other.
I don't like roller coasters.

Alan White though might be over-doing it with a personal minimum of 24".
New Hampshire DOT is being overly cautious with only a 12" minimum.
I flew a Musketeer into the ocean in 2003 and it wasn't winter so I got wet.
See "Musketeers Do Not Float" if you can find it.

Thank you Doctor White for the opportunity for me to rant on smart individual minimums.
Now, what are you doing on February 8th?
Fly up near Laconia, New Hampshire. We know how to enjoy the cold... and snow... and wind... and heating bills... and heavy outerwear... and...

Tom Corcoran

Please don't think for one instant that just because something might be below my personal minimums that I would be intelligent enough not to try it! I would love...love...love to come up there and land on the ice. We've already had the conversation about where I'll be on February 8th a couple of times, but just to refresh, I will be in AZ just prior to your being there. Inexplicably, Marty hasn't reached out to me to take me out and show me the aircraft graveyard!

Report yesterday was only 8 inches of ice with too much water and slushy snow on top.

Here's hoping for more cold weather.

A safety official with the FAA responded to my (private) request for timely information and a guess-timate on the future of the ice for this year.
He was good enough to respond (unofficial reply) on 1/24/20...

"We will see – I swung by there around 11 this morning. The very cold weather recently helped a little, just not as much as we would like because the snow cover acted as an insulating blanket. Forecast for Alton on Sunday is some rain and mix. If that soaks the snow and it turns cold, we will get some thicker ice quickly, just not the strongest form of ice though.
I live nearby and we plowed a skating rink on a smaller pond yesterday – so I have hope….."

603 875-3498

Hear the recorded voice of Paul LaRochelle. He's the volunteer "Airport Manager" of the Alton Bay Ice Runway.
The temperature here in New England is generally above freezing.
Looks the same or warmer for the next few days.
You can guess what all this means to the "BAC Ice Runway Fly-In" scheduled for February 8, 2020.
Stay tuned.

A good substitute is the fly-in Robert Staab has scheduled for KPOU in New York State for February 22, 2020.
Check the event calendar.

Tom Corcoran

THE OFFICIAL WORD!

The ice at Alton Bay, New Hampshire is not thick enough to support aircraft at this time. Because of anticipated further warm weather the ice runway will not be opened this year. Call 603 875-3498 and hear the sad news yourself.

As an alternative and in the spirit of the BAC Northeast Region's signature event... feel free to put some ice in a glass along with your favorite beverage and toast to ice runways of years past.

Tom Corcoran

We have our own ice runway here at 7B2
7B2IceRunway.jpg

THE OFFICIAL WORD!

The ice at Alton Bay, New Hampshire is not thick enough to support aircraft at this time. Because of anticipated further warm weather the ice runway will not be opened this year. Call 603 875-3498 and hear the sad news yourself.

As an alternative and in the spirit of the BAC Northeast Region's signature event... feel free to put some ice in a glass along with your favorite beverage and toast to ice runways of years past.

Tom Corcoran

Back