Home from BACfest

pwf

Level Cruise
Just a quick note that the Fosters, having acquired a sheaf of papers covering a Canadian COVID test, then a US COVID US test, a Canadian COVID arrival declaration, two US ADAPT ADS-B waivers to come and go through Class C airspace, two US eAPIS declarations (entry and exit), Canadian customs notification, filing flight plans and completing whatever other paper work I have now forgotten, got back home early this afternoon, all the while monitoring the health of our landing gear.

The flight itself was uneventful - even boring - north from Tullahoma with a fuel stop in some tiny Indiana airport I have forgotten (or perhaps just want to forget), on through the bottom of Detroit airspace and landing at London, Ontario for Customs... clear blue skies all the way. 

Unfortunately, landing at London we could see a menacing wall of weather moving in from the north. Had we moved out quickly we would have avoided it, but having to wait 20 minutes or more for Customs to pick the darn phone, we were left with a great view of a solid line of weather coming to drench us and block our route to the NE. We waited to see if it would clear, but it didn't. With radar showing multiple lines of weather coming through behind the first wall, so we decided not to go dancing around through this stuff with impending darkness, near freezing temperatures and likely icing.

So, only 71 miles from our home base, we crawled off to a hotel for some sleep. We flew the last leg this morning, for a total of 611nm to get BAChome (it was about 650 outbound to KTHA). 

We had a great time, and Leili and I were particularly pleased for the opportunity to catch up with old friends. Many thanks to Jeff, the volunteer drivers, and all the other organizers for pulling this together.

'till next time....

Peter

I had a nice time meeting more folks last week. Look forward to more gatherings.
Sitting in a hotel in Puerto Rico tonight. Its been nonstop since leaving the meet.

Picked up a little tailwind on the way home.  161knt gs @7.9g/hr @9,500

2021-10-16-16.02.43.jpg

Anne and I have also made it home.  1088'ish miles, another Holiday Inn Express induced by a starter failure at a fuel stop.  Other than the expense we were amazingly lucky to have it happen at an airport with a shop stocking the right starter.  The delay did make us lose our early morning flight into the mountains so the last hour was a 2,000 up and down ride.

It was great seeing everyone again and catching up.  Thanks to all who did so much to provide us a great event.

Anne and I made it BAC home to Orlando Sunday afternoon.  This was a long awaited trip to the Heritage Museum and being at my first BACFest was even better.  I had invited one of my Bonanza driver buddies to tag along and he and his wife also attended, he even attended our BAC maintenance clinic and said it was better than any BPPP he had been at.  I am so sad that we did not attend the award dinner as I was working on tying down the Sierra and then that torrential rain hit.  I was confused as to where it was, better do a better job of briefing the chart before next time.  Anyway, we enjoyed a 20 knot tail wind and hit 160 knots ground speed most all the way home.  Already planning next year and am working on Sun N Fun and have thought of a few events we can do here in Florida.  There are a few other Mouse drivers around and I am thinking about monthly fly in for us.  We already do Taco Tuesday most weeks so maybe will tag onto that.  See all of you again next year.

mdunlevie said
Anne and I have also made it home.  1088'ish miles, another Holiday Inn Express induced by a starter failure at a fuel stop.  Other than the expense we were amazingly lucky to have it happen at an airport with a shop stocking the right starter.  The delay did make us lose our early morning flight into the mountains so the last hour was a 2,000 up and down ride.

It was great seeing everyone again and catching up.  Thanks to all who did so much to provide us a great event.

If you ever stop at my airport again, you need to give Linda and I a call.  We could have had breakfast or at least visited while they worked on your Bo.  

Michael Harding said
Anne and I made it BAC home to Orlando Sunday afternoon.  This was a long awaited trip to the Heritage Museum and being at my first BACFest was even better.  I had invited one of my Bonanza driver buddies to tag along and he and his wife also attended, he even attended our BAC maintenance clinic and said it was better than any BPPP he had been at.  I am so sad that we did not attend the award dinner as I was working on tying down the Sierra and then that torrential rain hit.  I was confused as to where it was, better do a better job of briefing the chart before next time.  Anyway, we enjoyed a 20 knot tail wind and hit 160 knots ground speed most all the way home.  Already planning next year and am working on Sun N Fun and have thought of a few events we can do here in Florida.  There are a few other Mouse drivers around and I am thinking about monthly fly in for us.  We already do Taco Tuesday most weeks so maybe will tag onto that.  See all of you again next year.

We really enjoyed meeting all of you. The old Musketeer got up 134 knots from that tail wind. I was loving it! Would love to make a fly in. We are only about a 3 hour flight down to Orlando. The wife and I was planning on a flight to Williston FL (X60) in the next few weeks for lunch at the on field restaurant. Also planning to be be at Sun N Fun!

A brief view of our BAC planes on the flightline at Tullahoma is shown on AOPA Live this week.

https://aopalive.aopa.org/?utm_source=epilot&utm_medium=email

Back