Beech Party 2012 - Tullahoma, TN (KTHA) Oct. 17th - 21st

AVIATOR_

Flight Levels
I am planning on flying down on Wednesday the 17th, camp by the plane, and depart on Friday. Is anyone else attending?

Please accept our invitation to attend this year's Beech Party.

This event promises to be several fabulous days of fun and excitement, as we celebrate several milestones in not only the history of Beech Aircraft, but also in aviation history!

Simply another excuse to relax and enjoy sharing the passion of flight with your aviation friends, numerous activities are planned to enhance our members' and guests' experience. Perhaps the most interesting are the impromptu sights and sounds of antique and classic aircraft circling the airfield.

Get more information Register Now!

We look forward to seeing you in Tullahoma this fall.
Sincerely,

The Beech Party Staff
Beechcraft Heritage Museum
info@beechcraftheritagemuseum.org
(931) 455-1974

Last edited:
I wish I could, and plan to someday. I was headed that way once, back about 2004 or 2005, but found one of those pesky pinholes in a fuel line while washing the plane.

I can't make it this year but I have been to the museum and it is fantastic! If you can make the event you should....you won't be disappointed.

Here is shot of one of the stars of the Museum:

Attachments

• Staggerwing photo.jpg
    Staggerwing photo.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 30
Thanks Cloyd, I didn't remember that this was the home airport for Beech. John Persinger asked me if that was why we choose to stop here on the way home to DC, nope, it just had clear weather after leaving the soup down at Jack Edwards, surely didn't want to fly any more in IFR conditions to land at the end of a 3 hour flight. Looks like they have lots of room for parking planes, FBO is all new and fuel was truck or self serve, the latter being the cheapest. Gary and Mary picked this as their first stop on the way home as well, made me look at it as well, Gary if your out there, how was the trip home for you an Mary?

Steve

Steve-
Minor correction....Tullahoma is not the home airport of Beech. It is the home airport for the Beechcraft Heritage Museum.

I don't know if I want to go to a Beech Heritage Museum that does not have a mouse for an exhibit. Seems like they are ignoring the red headed step child of the fleet.

James, not too many years back, the Beech Heritage Museum was very interested in the red headed step children. I thought that they had even secured one to include in their museum. Brad, Cloyd, or Chris probably has the most up to date information on this.

I don't have anything recent.

There was a Musketeer donated. There was a big deal about it but it turned out to be not in condition to display and would take too much work to make it ready for display. I don't know what became of it. There was talk of donating it to a local vo-tech school.

There was also a Skipper. I think it belonged to a BAC member and had hail damage and I believe that Harold Bost, the guy that headed up the Bonanza-Baron part of the museum, may have bought it to donate to BHM. I think Rellihan was going to work on it to get it ready for display but don't know how far that got.

Chris and Brad may be able to fill in more details or correct any mis-statments I made.

But it is worth a trip to see what they do have on display. The Staggerwings are worth the trip and to see them fly would be interesting.

Everything Cloyd stated above is correct. The Musketeer that was delivered to the Museum was damaged in transit and was beyond reasonable repair. The Skipper's hail damage was never repaired to the point it could be displayed, so it was sold. The Museum is very much interested in having the baby Beeches on display; however, they are only willing to display aircraft that are in "museum-worthy" condition. It may sound arrogant on their part, but once you see the quality of Beechcraft in the museum, you understand their desire to only have the best of the best. It makes you proud to own a Beech!

Cloyd,
I only need to look outside my hangar door to see this;

This guy called in on his way around the world in his restored Staggerwing. Very neat!

Then, yesterday, Judy took her P-51 AND her P-40 out to play. The sound was awesome!

Mark,
In Oz

Attachments

• IMG_2302.jpg
    IMG_2302.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2306.jpg
    IMG_2306.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2308.jpg
    IMG_2308.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2314.jpg
    IMG_2314.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 20
Cloyd,
Tyabb (YTYA) is a small, almost "country" field, but the hardware based here is impressive. It includes, Yaks, Nanchangs, Harvards, Winjeels, Trojans, Spitfire, Mustangs, Kittyhawk, Corsair, Vampire and even Sierras and a Musketeer.
Not quite Tullahoma, but not shabby either.

Mark
In Oz

Attachments

• DSCN1264.jpg
    DSCN1264.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2574.jpg
    IMG_2574.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2576.jpg
    IMG_2576.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2582.jpg
    IMG_2582.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 23

Dang - you caught my attention - sir... Given the choice to fly any plane on the planet - it's a no brainer in my book... Just something about those gull wings... OK - I grew up watchning Robert Conrad in Blacksheep...
:)

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:
Scott, I whole heartedly agree. November 2010 was the 15th anniversary of Fantasy of Flight. They spent months preparing for it by getting everything that could fly ready to be flown. Kermit flew everything in the hangers over the course of 3-4 days. I saw the Ford Tri-Motor (the one from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom), the P-51C, and a couple of others. The one I really wanted to see fly, which wasn't flown, was the absolutely beautiful Corsair. Oh well. Next time I run into Kermit, I intend to ask him about it.

On another note, after the St. Augustine flyin, we are going to try and organize a flyin to Fantasy of Flight in the January-March time frame, when the weather is good.

Mark, how did a wandering Staggerwing on a round the world flight find its way to your country field?

And, Scott, I'd have to opt for the P-51.

Hi James,

All this Florida activity makes me wish I lived closer...

Hi Cloyde,

LOL - I think most people would agree with you - I'm a Navy boy though...
:)

Regards,
Scott

Cloyd,
There is a large, rare-earth magnet buried under the runway. It is aligned so that the poles attract interesting aircraft (and people) and repels the opposite. It must work, b'coz we have 33% of Australias total Sierra fleet based there (3 planes!)

Actually, there is a very significant number of warbird enthusiasts based here. Google "The Old Aeroplane Company" and "Judy Pay" just for one. I think Smithy has a YouTube channel that will give you a better look too.

Mark
In Oz

Back