BAC Fly-In - Oak Island, NC (KSUT)

GMascelli

Orbiting Earth
[h=2]BAC Fly-In Oak Island, NC.[/h]
Date: February 24th
Time: On the ramp by 11am
Airport: KSUT - Cape Fear Regional

[TABLE="class: cms_table_OneColumnMobile cms_table_mceItemTable, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 100%"]
1a670dd0-39d7-475b-adee-b2d797bf03a9.jpg
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

This months fly-in is scheduled for Cape Fear Regional Airport located in Oak Island, North Carolina. This airport is located right along the intracoastal waterway. The approach to runway 5 actually crosses the waterway!
[TABLE="class: cms_table_OneColumnMobile cms_table_mceItemTable, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 100%"]
191822bc-4d46-406f-a293-77ec773bc99f.jpg
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Lunch will be at Oliver's on the Cape Fear. This restaurant has an interesting history and provides a varied menu from burgers to seafood.

Spring is just around the corner. It's time to get the oil pumping, get some left seat time, and meet up with fellow BAC members.

If you're into lighthouses don't miss a photo op at the Oak Island Lighthouse, located just 4.5 miles from the airport.

This is a BAC Sponsored event.

Please confirm attendance with the Mid-Atlantic Regional Director at GMascelli@gmail.com or by cell 302-545-5314

On the calendar
Quick 2 hr flt from KLZU -WX permitting
Then in for annual on February 26th
Great timing Gary

Fred,

I’m looking forward to catching up! It’s always nice to get that one more flight in before annual, not counting a reposition flight, of course. ;)

Just conformed with the folks at Cape Fear Airport, they will have a 15 passenger courtesy "van" for us to use, no charge. Very nice to deal with on the phone and they are looking forward to having BAC there.

Attending:

Gary & Mary N6708R
Jeff & Bride N6628D
Fred - N6703P
Don - N2325Q

Last edited:
Sound like a great place to fly to. Beth and I are hoping to attend. We are 90% sure that we can make it but it all depends on how busy our business gets toward the end of next week and of course the weather too. We'll confirm as we get closer to the 24th.

Gary,

I look forward to meeting up. I know Mary is happy to see some brides attending :) She says us boys like to talk that pilot stuff so having spouses attend balances it out a bit.

UPDATE

Attending:
Gary & Mary N6708R
Jeff & Bride N6628D
Fred - N6703P
Don - N2325Q
Gary & Beth N18767

Last edited:
In a miraculous change in schedule I will be there! ***VFR weather dependent. Looks pretty good right now.

Peace,
Don

In a miraculous change in schedule I will be there! ***VFR weather dependent. Looks pretty good right now.

Peace,
Don

Look forward to catching up. I hope the winds die down, so far looking at 24-30 knot headwinds and rain here. That will make it a 3.5 hour trip....it will be an early start! We decided to board the dog in case we feel like spending the night or surprising friends in Williamsburg with a stop over.

Weather update

attachment.php

Our wx forecast for Saturday here in ocean city has changed a few times. Right now cloud cover but we plan on bugging out around 7:30am for the three hour twenty minute flight based on current winds. 08Romeo has a full belly of fuel and she is ready to fly. Let’s hope that typical 300 overcast isn’t sitting over the airport when we need to leave.

Attachments

• B8133DC8-1434-46B0-B09F-643A9434290B.jpg
    B8133DC8-1434-46B0-B09F-643A9434290B.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 109
Well, not the typical 300' overcast, it's worse. It doesn't look like Mary and I will be getting out anytime before 4pm so I'm a NO-GO.

Low IFR here (100' OVC V 1/2) at ocean city until 4pm then MVFR and rain.

Attachments

• LIFR for oak island.jpg
    LIFR for oak island.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 15
  • LIFR for oak island 1.jpg
    LIFR for oak island 1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Beth and I will have to pass this one too. We are too busy with our business and looks like storms are moving in tomorrow any way.

Let's PLEASE reschedule this fly in!

Peace,
Don

Don,

Jeff and his wife are a go. I just got off the phone with him and he said his location is going VFR.

Hope you all have fun, We' are still covered in fog. 300 OVC 1/2 m visibility now extending through 8pm. Sometimes living at the beach is a PITA. ;)

I’ve got to be wheels up by 9:20 to be there at 11:00. I’m heading to the airport to preflight and hopefully launch. Is anyone still attending?

Peace,
Don

Attachments

• C94A8842-949C-44FD-B636-D635A7AEC066.jpg
    C94A8842-949C-44FD-B636-D635A7AEC066.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 4
I’ve got to be wheels up by 9:20 to be there at 11:00. I’m heading to the airport to preflight and hopefully launch. Is anyone still attending?

Peace,
Don

Jeff and his wife are a go. I just got off the phone with him and he said his location is going VFR.

Don
Hope you , Jeff and his wife have a great flight and lunch !!

Gary
I agree, this is one that should be rescheduled again shortly

Fred

Sorry you cant get out.

Jeff already launched. He's at 7000' 158 knots halfway to SUT. I sent him text messages but he had already taken off.

OK, this is a first for me.

I just tracked down a phone number for Shaw Approach, since Jeff is in their airspace. I made the call and asked if they could relay a message to him that all planes have cancelled for oak island. The guy at approach was really nice and said yep, we're talking to him now and will pass along your message.

You just can't make this stuff up!

attachment.php

Attachments

• jeef with shaw.JPG
    jeef with shaw.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 46
Back