Airport Steakhouse - Mattoon, IL (KMTO) - Saturday - July 2, 2022

AVIATOR_

Flight Levels
That is truly one I would love to go to, but I have to work, and too close to ask off... Would have to drive, but it is not a bad drive either... Hope everyone has a great time at this one.

You never know how a day is going to turn out.  This day ended up being a great day.  From the lack of response on the forum I thought I would be the only one at Mattoon today.  It was a smooth ride over.  I arrived early and went in to use the facilities.  When I came out a Sierra was next to mine on the field.  It was Dave Butler's.  Beautiful paint job on the Sierra.  He is based at Bult Field (C56) Monee, IL.  He was close by and flew in from Crawford County (KRSV) Robinson, IL.  He is an orthopedic surgeon.  He is working at the local hospital.  His rotation is to work 10 days a month and then off 20.  We talked about his recent trip to Fairbanks, AK in the Sierra.  As 11:00am CDT approached I saw a Beech arriving.  This was Warren and Melissa Smith in their Musketeer Super III.  They flew in from Bloomington, IL (KBMI).  Melissa won the Super in a raffle from Wings of Hope.  Melissa purchased one $75.00 raffle ticket and won.  And yes, Melissa is the registered owner of the plane.  She is not a pilot.  Her father was a pilot and the rest of the family including her children are pilots.  This is a very nice, restored aircraft.  The Garmin avionics package is awesome.  The only thing they have added is the GFC500 autopilot.  The Garmin GFC500 is on my list to upgrade in my Sierra.  First time I have had a chance to meet Dave, Warren, and Melissa and this was their first BAC Fly-in they have attended.  Warren is wanting to install shoulder harnesses in the Super.  He inquired who in the area to contact for maintenance work.  I provided a couple of names.  Shortly after we sat down to eat a familiar face walked up.  It was Fred Hannon.  He flew in on a Citation.  He was one of the pilots.  It was nice to catch up for a few minutes.  We discussed some of the upcoming fly-ins.  Warren and Melissa will be attending AirVenture.  I hope to seem them at the Ice Cream Social and the BAC Picnic.  Dave sounded like he might make Beech Party.  I know I will be there.  While departing Coles County (KMTO) I heard a Sundowner inbound.  I took a screen shot on my iPad to look up the tail number when I got home.  It was a BAC member aircraft from my region from northern Indiana.  Sent Jason a PM.  Thirty minutes sooner I would have had a chance to meet another BAC member for the first time.  As I mentioned at the beginning of this post.  You never know how a day is going to turn out.  Met several members for the first time.  Met an old acquaintance.  It was a good day. 

Dave Butler's Sierra.

View attachment IMG_1652.JPG

View attachment IMG_1653.JPG

Getting ready to eat.  Pictured going clockwise:  Warren and Melissa Smith, Dave Butler

View attachment IMG_1658.JPG

Super III Instrument Panel

View attachment IMG_1655.JPG

View attachment IMG_1657.JPG

Two Sierras and a Super III Dave Butler beside his Sierra

View attachment IMG_1662.JPG

Pictured are Dave Butler, Melissa and Warren Smith

View attachment IMG_1660.JPG

I wish I could have been there. It rained around St. Louis all day. It would have been good to see Warren again. We worked together for years. Maybe next year.

Curt

I saw it was raining down your way when I came across this morning to Mattoon.  Figured it might keep you from attending.  

Back