2 Jun 2018, Vintage Day/Music Festival, Alexander Memorial Airport (GA2), Griffin, GA

cbooton

Climbing to Cruise
Always a good time...been there bunch of times...wonderful museum. I hosted a mini-fly-in there couple years back. Good out-back destination for most SE folks. ID is GA2 (previously Peach State Aerodrome/Candler Field) and recently changed to Alexander Memorial Airport in honor of Ron Alexander who tragically perished in a newly restored JN-4 Jenny in Nov 2016.

Candler Field Museum will re-create The Sights and Sounds of the 1920s at the Annual VINTAGE DAY MUSIC FESTIVAL on Saturday, June 2nd. The airfield and museum are located just off Hwy 362 in Williamson GA. Gates will open at 10AM at this family-focused event that includes an invitation to dressup in period costumes; see the display of old cars and vintage planes; and enjoy the old-fashioned food and music. Admission fee is $10 per car with all proceeds going to support the Candler Field Museum Youth Program.

VINTAGE DAY best represents the Museum's continuing efforts to recreate the Original Atlanta Airport as it was in the 1920s. People who lived in the 1920s experienced a fascination with the emerging technology of both the Automobile and the Aeroplane. Barnstorming, air shows, and flying circus events were popular forms of entertainment for families before TV. Food and refreshments will be available all day including Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Brats, and Barbeque along with a full menu at Barnstormers Grill.

This year we will conduct a raffle of a Remington 870 12 Gauge Pump Shotgun with tickets priced at $20 each. We will also raffle off a handmade aviation related quilt with tickets priced at $10 each. Raffle Tickets can be purchased by visiting Barnstormers Grill or on Vintage Day. The raffle drawing will be held at 3:00PM. You do not need to be present to win.

There will be a Candy Drop at 2:00PM. Candy Bars attached to parachutes will be dropped from an airplane for the kids to pick up. This is a reenactment of the early days at the original Candler Field when Doug Davis would drop candy bars from his airplane.

The Candler Field Museum is a living museum located in rural Williamson GA where old aeroplanes still fly, antique cars still drive and the sights and sounds of the 1920's era come to life every day.

Firm grass strip with decent approaches. Click on www.candlerfield.com for more details about the location and procedures. Griffin/Spalding County Airport (6A2) is a few miles away for those who prefer a paved runway option.

Cheers and fly safely,

Charley Booton, Sierra, N9143S
SE Director
850-496-6912
chazbo_af@mchsi.com

Might be tough for me and many others in the southeast...still forecasting ugly t-storms all weekend. If you're all close-by and want to drive, it's still a fun event.

Well, looks like I've got some last minute conflicting plans for this weekend. However, if any BAC member attends, could you please reply to me as to who showed, where they came from and how (flew in, car, etc.) they traveled? I will then compile that info for PT points. Fly/drive safely!

Charley Booton

Back